Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 04-08-2021, 08:31 PM   #1
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Behind the house and public in Texas; Kansas Unit 5
Default What am I missing?

Wife took her 2018 Higlander to Toyota dealership this morning.

She called and said they told her the battery was showing signs of age (some test showed it to have about 150 less CCA than rated) and that she needed a new battery to the tune of a little less than $500

I told her if it was not dead or having trouble starting to keep driving it until I can figure out if they are just being the typical overpriced dealership or if there is something special about the battery

anybody work in Toyota shop or have any experience with this model?
BTLowry is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 08:34 PM   #2
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

I Don't work at Toyota but it's not unusual for batteries to loose cranking amps as the get older. Just go down to Napa, Wal Mart, orielly's and get her a battery for it. Battery will cost about $100.00 and take about 10 minutes to change.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 08:35 PM   #3
Huntindad
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Kerr county & TP&W

Hope my Tundra doesn't do that. My wifes Subaru eats batteries.

500 for a battery seems way, way high...least double .
Huntindad is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 08:51 PM   #4
Reelthreat
Eight Point

My wife got an $800 oil change from the Lincoln dealer the other day... they prey on women.

I was about to boil over!
Reelthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 08:54 PM   #5
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Matt_C View Post
I Don't work at Toyota but it's not unusual for batteries to loose cranking amps as the get older. Just go down to Napa, Wal Mart, orielly's and get her a battery for it. Battery will cost about $100.00 and take about 10 minutes to change.
That was my thought

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reelthreat View Post
My wife got an $800 oil change from the Lincoln dealer the other day... they prey on women.

Mine is pretty good about not letting them do anything that costs more than $50 without asking me
Old 04-08-2021, 08:55 PM   #6
tps7742
Ten Point

Hunt In: East tx

As mentioned above just replace it in the near future from Napa or like store. $500.00 is highway robbery for a battery imho. The toyota dealership here in Lufkin has one of their service representatives that try to hang it in you if you let him. Sad deal they put their reputation on the line like that but it’s not uncommon obviously.
tps7742 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 08:59 PM   #7
Royal21973
Ten Point

Hunt In: Deep South Texas and will travel

Wow.....Run
Royal21973 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 08:59 PM   #8
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: For a place

Quote:

I’d be paying them a visit personally if it was just an oil change!

Have the battery tested at any of your local auto parts. If bad get a new one from them for 1/3 of what stealership priced.
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 09:00 PM   #9
flywise
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Blanco, Nacadoches,NewMexico,Colorado

dealer once told my wife the water pump was leaking, the fan was broken and th belt was bad. They would fix all of it for 1300. i told her they were full of **** and come home.
I drove the car for 130k after that before i fixed the water pump and never had to fis the fan or the belt
flywise is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 09:04 PM   #10
txhunter90
Ten Point

Hunt In: Lindale

Quote:
Originally Posted by flywise View Post
dealer once told my wife the water pump was leaking, the fan was broken and th belt was bad. They would fix all of it for 1300. i told her they were full of **** and come home.
I drove the car for 130k after that before i fixed the water pump and never had to fis the fan or the belt

My sister made the mistake of taking her van to pep boys. Went for an oil change and gave her a quote for $2400 for all kinds of random things on a newer Toyota van. She called me and I told her to walk out ASAP. Sad cause a lot of people donít know any better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
txhunter90 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 09:09 PM   #11
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:

Thatís just a sorry way to do business. No, that is a thieving way to do business.
3ChordTruth is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 09:12 PM   #12
Leverhunter
Eight Point

batteries lose power when they get older but $500 is crazy ! I would be very skeptical of a 3 year old battery needing replaced. Maybe 20 years ago in Texas yes but batteries have improved since then. Take it somewhere else to get tested.

Toyota dealership in McKinney has been good about maintenance recommendations but the Honda dealership across 75 is legalized theft.
Leverhunter is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 09:13 PM   #13
Walker
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by BTLowry View Post
Wife took her 2018 Higlander to Toyota dealership this morning.

She called and said they told her the battery was showing signs of age (some test showed it to have about 150 less CCA than rated) and that she needed a new battery to the tune of a little less than $500

I told her if it was not dead or having trouble starting to keep driving it until I can figure out if they are just being the typical overpriced dealership or if there is something special about the battery

anybody work in Toyota shop or have any experience with this model?
Wonder if they'd take 2 boxes of 45's for trade??
Walker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 10:01 PM   #14
thaRealTexx
Spike

Most I have seen for 1 vehicle was for an F-250 which takes 2 batteries which were quoted on higher end quality, not Walmart specials.
thaRealTexx is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 10:28 PM   #15
Dale Moser
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Young Cty

I put a battery in my wifeís 4runner during the cold snap for $169 and 10 minutes. I bought a good battery.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Dale Moser is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 10:32 PM   #16
Texas Stalker
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Oklahoma

They running lithium in that thing or what. Jeeze!!!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Texas Stalker is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 10:33 PM   #17
dhall1414
Four Point

Hunt In: Palo Pinto County

get a new battery from advance auto, i use them all the time. my latest battery for a 99 suburban cost around $100. and with online orders you can use the code RMN25 to get 25% discount
dhall1414 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 10:37 PM   #18
Big pig
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Goliad and Brown Co.

I would visit with the service manager
Last car I would buy from his dealership

Wish yíall could see the great service I have received here in Brownwood.
Chevy and Toyota
Big pig is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 10:39 PM   #19
Hammerzeke
Spike

Whatdid she take it in for?
Hammerzeke is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 10:43 PM   #20
Benno
Four Point

Over 20yrs ago when my wife and I were dating she worked at a Ford dealership part time for a few months. I think all she did was take payment in the service department. She knows nothing about cars. She did not know how to respond to one gentleman when he asked about the $45 charge to top off the power steering fluid, his car did not have power steering.
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 11:08 PM   #21
txhunt7
Six Point

I change oil in 3 cars (truck jeep and wifes cruiser) and decided to take my daughters into ford and let them do it. I was driving and my wife walked in to drop it off, what can go wrong, right? She walks out and says it'll be 250.00. I immediately took the work order back in and let the sales expert have it. Manager had to come over and ask what was wrong. I belated them for taking advantage of a woman who walks in and asks for an oil change
txhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 11:12 PM   #22
txhunt7
Six Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by thaRealTexx View Post
Most I have seen for 1 vehicle was for an F-250 which takes 2 batteries which were quoted on higher end quality, not Walmart specials.
Mine died the day the cold snap was coming in. hauled em down to Ford and I think it was ~350.00 for both. Didnt have time to shop, took and ran
txhunt7 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 11:15 PM   #23
Reelthreat
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrican View Post
Iíd be paying them a visit personally if it was just an oil change!

Have the battery tested at any of your local auto parts. If bad get a new one from them for 1/3 of what stealership priced.
It was all the other B.S. they sold her on... radiator flush, air filter, etc... and they picked it up and dropped it off.
Reelthreat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 11:29 PM   #24
pure lefty
Ten Point

Hunt In: Leon County and wherever

Dealerships will get you on all the extras, one reason is the service writers get a commission on what they write up.
pure lefty is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-08-2021, 11:34 PM   #25
cj_sandman
Ten Point

Hunt In: San Saba

$500 for a battery on a Japanese vehicle is ludicrous. I’ve seen really high prices on European vehicles where the battery runs about $250 (even at Auto Zone) and then you have to pay the dealer an additional $200+ to “register the battery to your car.” Some loopy software deal they do in order to extort more money from you. $100 battery do just fine in the Toyota.
cj_sandman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 05:49 AM   #26
Smart
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Tom Green County

I wonít need one for a while but my 2020 Tundra will be running on a $100-150 battery just fine when it does ...
Smart is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 05:50 AM   #27
Clint
Ten Point

Hunt In: Liberty Hill

Diane had a shop tell her the same thing close to a year ago and wanted $250 to replace.
I asked her if she had problems starting the Jeep, and she didnít, I told her to just bring it home and weíd keep an eye on it for problems.
Hasnít missed a lick in almost a year.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Clint is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 06:38 AM   #28
Hooverfb
Ten Point

Let me put it this way... I just bought a porsche, and had to have a shop do transmission fluid because the fancy doodads on it require special electronic tool from porsche, etc... 600. Unless you got some lithium battery that you're using as a backup to the house power..... go buy a 100 dollar battery lol.
Hooverfb is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 06:46 AM   #29
HogHunter34
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anderson County

We had Sienna and it had some patented battery brain on the positive post. It was designed that if a kid left an interior light on or door open it would detect drop in voltage & break the circuit so the battery would not drain down low enough it would not crank. There was a button you pushed to reconnect that circuitry. The bad thing was I never got to 2 years on a single battery & had to replace one at 14 months
HogHunter34 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 06:50 AM   #30
Sticks&Strings
Pope & Young

Valvoline told me the same thing about my diesels batteries getting weak. I deferred. On the morning of the cold snap, I was at the ranch, woke up and was in a hurry to leave so I could get through san antonio before the roads were too bad. It wouldn't start. I jumped it and made it to walmart in the Woodlands and got 2 new ones with a decent warranty for less than $300.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk
Sticks&Strings is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 07:20 AM   #31
Johnny Dangerr
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Killing Stuff These Days

There is a new battery out there these days. Our 2015 K900 has one that is mounted below the spare in the trunk. It's about 24 inches by 18 inches. You have to buy it from the dealership. Delco etc did not have them 2 years ago. Cost about $600.00 to replace.

Was at VW last week for parts and witnessed a service person nailing a lady. Wanted to step in and I just walked away.................

Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 04-09-2021 at 07:24 AM.
Johnny Dangerr is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 07:28 AM   #32
WCB
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Wise/Montague/Grayson

I'll be more than happy to replace it for her for $300

WCB is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 07:33 AM   #33
bbqfan5909
Ten Point

A good AGM style battery will run 150-200 and install should take 10 mins. For a single battery car, $500 is outrageous and a call to the dealership would be in order.
bbqfan5909 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 08:02 AM   #34
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

The problem here is people are greedy and bad. I have been fortunate that I worked with honest Svc managers and service writers. Not all mechanics/technicians are bad either. Generally a good group of people. Before buying a vehicle inspect the service department. Create a relationship with 2 or 3 people and use them solely. Anytime a service writer out the gate is attempting to sell a fluid change filters etc. That is a red flag. Let the guy doing the work who is trained determine if there is any recommendations for fluid changes, belts, hoses, filters. Then create an action plan. Do it all, do some, do none. One of my best customers/turned friend put 1million miles on his truck before gifting to his grand son. He hauled used cars with it and it was always on the road. He trusted me to make sure he never walked. Only time he was on the side of the road was flat tires. His grand son takes possession and destroyed the truck within 6-8months.

Also, your vehicle does not need any magic sauce in the fuel tank, engine etc. Put what is recommended in and drive sensibly. If you are using good fuel, good oil, good filters there is zero need for additives.

If you're willing to spend $50k plus on a new ride, spend good money on service. All of these car manufacturers are selling cars with the notion they are maintenance free. That is false. Yes, cars have came a long way. People are getting 150-200k on belts, hoses plugs etc. But the petro based products need regular attention. Don't wait for the dummy light to say change your oil. Most gasoline engines need to be changed about every 5k depending on your driving habits. Check the oil level at least once a month. They ALL burn some. I have seen vehicles come in that the owners waited till the light says change oil. They waited 3 yrs and almost 20k miles before the light said lets change it now. Engine was toast. Rattled like crazy. We installed a new engine. At no cost under warranty and educated the customer on regular service.

Thank the tech working on your car. Doesn't have to be a tip but a face to face thank you. They're the ones doing the work. The svc manager counts beans. Service writer does just that write a ticket up. I guarantee you, you thank the tech. Your car will be top priority always. And you will never worry about what is truly needed. They will go above and beyond for you. I had customers who would bring their car straight to me. Drop it off. And I would write the ticket on it. The service writers hated it. Find the guy/lady service writer with a touch of grey hair they are typically the better ones. The younger ones are typically people who thought they could be a tech and found out they weren't. Then the commission dollars go to their head. I never understood why service writers made such good money.

When you drop the car off. The people behind the counter, are not at fault for your car not working properly. If you come in guns blazing I promise you, you are no longer priority. We understand that no one wakes up and says I hope my car doesn't start today and I am late to work and need to figure out how to get kids to baseball and get my car to the shop. When it breaks down. It is no fun. But, again it is not the shops fault. In some cases if it was something they did a poor repair on then yes. And they will fix their goof up for free. If they don't find a new shop.

If your neighbor can do it cheaper for a 12 pack on the weekend. More power to ya. I quit working for a $12pack of beer long ago. Never understood why anyone works for beer. I work make money and buy my own beer. Lol
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 09:20 AM   #35
mchildress
Ten Point

Hunt In: Polk

I can not believe how much blinker fluid has gone up since the election.
mchildress is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 09:42 AM   #36
44mAG
Ten Point

I just got a new interstate battery for my truck which was around $160 or so. $500 quote was surely a mistake?
44mAG is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 09:43 AM   #37
gingib
Pope & Young

Hunt In: NTX

Quote:

Maybe time to have a talk with the wife, then the dealership
gingib is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 09:48 AM   #38
breederbuck33
Ten Point

I've been around enough boats in my life to know that $500 is insane for a new battery installed. Shoot if people are paying that then I'm in on that deal and will open up a battery shop tomorrow!
breederbuck33 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 06:10 PM   #39
BTLowry
Pope & Young

Sounds like some BS ripoff plan

I just wondered if changing the battery out required some reprogramming or it just had an odd size dealer only battery or some other something I had not considered.

I might just call the service manager or pay him a visit and see what he says

I definitely will not be paying them to do something I can take care of myself for around 20% of their quote
Old 04-09-2021, 06:22 PM   #40
3ChordTruth
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44mAG View Post
I just got a new interstate battery for my truck which was around $160 or so. $500 quote was surely a mistake?
X2

Did this too a couple of months ago, all that is needed.
3ChordTruth is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 06:31 PM   #41
kae006
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Colorado, Wyoming

Is it the hybrid Highlander?
kae006 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 06:43 PM   #42
Matt_C
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrican View Post
Iíd be paying them a visit personally if it was just an oil change!

Oh that can add up at a dealership. Cabin filters, air filters, "shop supplies", the oil they probably charged $11.00 a quart for and tire rotation and balance etc.. etc..upsale, upsale upsale.
Matt_C is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 06:58 PM   #43
kmitchl
Ten Point

Hunt In: Eldorado

We have two 4Runners. Both of the batteries are from Walmart. I used to buy only DieHard until Sears started circling the bowl. The warranty on Walmart and DieHard is now the same.
kmitchl is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 07:21 PM   #44
falmike
Four Point

My wife was gigged $65 in labor to change engine and cabin air filters. .2 and .5 hours of labor at flat rate. That especially irked me as they pull the filters to show you the condition and if you decline replacement, you pay nothing.
falmike is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 07:42 PM   #45
kumathebear
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Coke County and Beyond

About 2 months ago I made my last visit to our local Toyota dealer for maintenance. Last service change they rotated my tires, without my approval, as I had it done 2 weeks before at Discount FREE. Then they told me my battery was going bad, needed spark plug replacement and my brakes were close to going bad soon as well.

So 1st, they had to re-rotate my tires and remove the $60 charge WITHOUT my authorization. Then I took my Tundra to a local mechanic I have used for years, replaced the plugs (it was time) saving me approximately $150 the dealership quoted me. A week later I took the Tundra back to my "preferred" mechanic, had him test the battery and he said I could drive more miles but it was getting to the end of it's life with the test cranking results. So, had them replace the battery, according to Tundra recommendations performance criteria, installed for $175 from Napa parts with the typical warranty. Oh, dealership quoted me $275 for the battery service??

Now my next maintenance work will be on the brakes, but with performance parts + labor I will save over $100 per axle with my mechanic vs the dealer AND I can do it one axle at a time with 4x4 drive.

I don't have a problem with anyone making a profit, but at least KISS me when you do it! I would recommend anyone to find a local shop that you can trust to take care of your vehicle, make a decent profit but end up with a good job! Believe me, I know, grew up with my Dad as a self employed mechanic that taught me there are those who will take you to the Bank if you don't challenge what your are being quoted....if it Stinks, there's a reason!
kumathebear is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 10:03 PM   #46
Oleman
Ten Point

Hunt In: Anywhere I can

My O.p.. Use the locals in your area. If you live close, they most likely will treat you right.
Oleman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-09-2021, 10:43 PM   #47
Electrican
Pope & Young

Hunt In: For a place

Quote:
Originally Posted by mchildress View Post
I can not believe how much blinker fluid has gone up since the election.
Think thatís bad. Check out the muffler bearing prices since election. Wow!
Electrican is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 08:25 AM   #48
xman59
Pope & Young

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leverhunter View Post
batteries lose power when they get older but $500 is crazy ! I would be very skeptical of a 3 year old battery needing replaced. Maybe 20 years ago in Texas yes but batteries have improved since then. Take it somewhere else to get tested.

Toyota dealership in McKinney has been good about maintenance recommendations but the Honda dealership across 75 is legalized theft.
i work in auto parts,, batteries have not gotten better! (they can be made better but in general they dont!) they have it down to a science now and a huge number of them barely make it past the warranty period,,,,
but if they put a better battery on the market they will not sell as many as they do now with batteries that barely make it!

but 500 for a battery is way out of line,,, !!! most will cost between 100 and 175 depending on the style ,,,and of course,, the warranty period!
xman59 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 10:52 AM   #49
DEREKG22
Six Point

Hunt In: Seeking

Quote:

WHAT!.....ID LOOSE MY MIND OVER SOMETHING LIKE THIS!!!!.....thats just not right
DEREKG22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 04-10-2021, 10:54 AM   #50
DEREKG22
Six Point

Hunt In: Seeking

There's a reason it's called the "stealer" not the
"dealer"-ship
DEREKG22 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top