IFTTT Switch for Hot Tub?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

IFTTT Switch for Hot Tub?

Question for the electrically savvy out here.

We are waiting on our small 110v Hot tub to be delivered in the next month or two (covid shortage)

I currently run a Honeywell smart thermostat on my home HVAC system and use Griddy as my energy provider which allows me to use the spot price of electricity as the trigger in the IFTTT (If This Than That) app to turn the system up or down depending on conditions to save a boatload of money.

I want to set the Hot tub on the same thing so I can crank up the heat when electricity is cheap and off when we have a spike.

I could just use a smart switch tied to home wifi to turn off in the event of a price spike but It would require me to manually turn the system back on when it subsides.

I'm thinking if I could keep the control circuit "always on" (on a separate power supply) I could put the heater loop on the smart switch.

So...

Am I thinking about this all wrong or does anyone have a suggestion how to accomplish this?

Turns out it is a non issue.
    The hot tub will automatically return to the last setting after the power comes back on.
    All I need to do is add a smart switch and configure the IFTTT program.

Comment

How did you fare with Griddy through the winter storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Big_gun View Post
        How did you fare with Griddy through the winter storm.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
        Ugly. We managed to get switched before it got too bad but still managed to spend about $900 for the cold snap.

I will go back to Griddy if it looks like the energy situation stabilizes but that might not be until the energy haters are out of power.

Comment

How much do you think you saved by using Griddy? I almost signed up with them.

Comment

We had them for a couple years before the big freeze.
            Our avg. cost was less than .03/kw hr. so compared to our previous provider at closer to .08/kw hr. it was pretty much cut in half.

Comment

Working...
            X