Hog Light DIY

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hog Light DIY

We just rigged up a temporary hog light to hang on the feeder of choice.

We used HF LED magnetic trailer lights and powered it with a 12v battery booster air compressor combo unit.

I wired in a Dusk to Dawn switch so it automatically comes on when it gets dark.

Needs a little refining but it looks like it is workable alternative.
    Attached Files

Pic 2 view from elevated blind
    Attached Files

Comment

Pic 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Looks pretty good! Kap

Comment

Looks good

Comment

That'll git 'er done!!! Shoot some!

Comment

Could you give some specifics on the set I.E. how you wired it what it all looks like? I like the amount of light it puts out.. Great job..!!

Comment

Sure, Harbor Freight #63115 $31.99 (use the 20% off coupon) ends up about $26.

I bought the light switch off Amazon for about $6. Highrock AS-10.

I used an old 12 volt cigarette lighter power cord and Male- Female spade crimp on butt connectors to wire it up.

The LED lights come with a standard flat 4 wire harness for hooking up to vehicle wiring and I used that and kept the wiring for the lights intact so I can use them for towing if needed.

I will try to take a picture of the power harness tomorrow.

We may try to use a smaller battery housed in a plastic ammo box to make it a lot lighter and more compact. HF has the box and a decent looking 12v battery normally used to start small gas engines. That would add about $40 to the build.

Comment

BTW the magnetic base for the lights worked great and are very easy to reposition. Next time I will try to use the rib on the barrel to make the light pattern angle out a little more, kind of like the light on the left side. The one on the right points straight down and a lot of the light pattern hits the barrel not the ground.

Comment

Any idea what kind of amperage these are drawing?

Comment

Have hogs come into light?

Comment

Never could find the amp/watt ratings for lights but I know it is a lot lower draw than conventional lights.
                        No hogs came in but we were only there for a little while after hanging the lights on the first night.
                        This setup is intended to be mobile not permanently mounted.

Comment

Nice

Comment

Originally posted by pontiac View Post
                            Never could find the amp/watt ratings for lights but I know it is a lot lower draw than conventional lights.
                            No hogs came in but we were only there for a little while after hanging the lights on the first night.
                            This setup is intended to be mobile not permanently mounted.
                            Thanks, I was just wondering how much current draw to know what it would take to leave it on the feeder long term.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

Working...
                              X