No announcement yet.

Planting trees and habitat improvement.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The more the better, I say. When I work on an established, untouched oak, by the time I am finished, it looks like a Halloween skelaton. Looks a little funny until the next growth period, when it fills in and 90% of the growth is UP.

Good luck!

Comment

T

Comment

Couple pics of sunflowers.
        Hope they mature in time for dove to be in there by first of September.
        Attached Files

Comment

250 pecan trees planted today along with about 50 sawtooth oaks.
          Attached Files

Comment

Planted my corn and sunflowers last week. Timing should be better this year. Last year the sunflowers were about three weeks late for dove season.
            Last edited by BrianL; 03-29-2013, 02:53 PM.

Comment

How much are those trees each when they are that small?

Comment

This is a really cool project, keep at it. I'm excited to see what it becomes over the years.

Comment

Originally posted by bowhunterchris View Post
                  How much are those trees each when they are that small?
                  $0.25-.50/each

Comment

Looking good. How did the pruning turn out? We've had very good luck pruning hard woods as stated in an earlier post and encouraging upward growth. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by BarW View Post
                      Looking good. How did the pruning turn out? We've had very good luck pruning hard woods as stated in an earlier post and encouraging upward growth. Good luck
                      since I did it toward the end if growing season I won't be able to tell until this year.

Comment

Looks good!

Do you have irrigation for the trees? I've had terrible luck planting seedlings in the spring. They just can't seem to make it thru the brutal summers.

From now on I'm going to plant seedlings only in the fall. Good luck on your project!

Comment

Sawtooth oaks did great, even though I planted during the worst drought in years. I did water all,I could using a 55 gallon water barrel. Hope the pecan will do as well as the sawtooth.

Comment

Pretty cool project!

Have you thought about irrigating? 1/2 poly is inexpensive, and with micro tubing and drippers you could likely get water to all of your trees on a single run.
                            Staking them and using a bamboo rod to train them up will speed the growth process as well.
                            Depending how serious you are about weed removal there is a product called "weed badger" pto driven tiller for orchard setting. 99% awesome! Everything else the spot sprayer should handle.

Comment

Planting a few hundred more. this time a mix of sawtooth and pecan. I would guess 90%+ survival on trees.
                              Attached Files

Comment

Looks good. Planting trees is addicting!

Comment

Working...
                                X