Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by eradicator View Post
    Should have whacked that boss hen!

She was tempting... but she or one like her has been around awhile. She has brought a few Toms my way so we have a mutual working agreement .[emoji23][emoji23]

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
      what are the characteristics of a "very large 2 year old"?
      He was a very heavy bird. The scale went missing at camp (as stuff always seems to do), but I am guestimating 20ish pounds judging by lifting it. Also had a decently thick beard (again for a 2 year old). In my experience, it is uncharacteristic of the area for a bird to be that young and that heavy.
      Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by TxBowHntr View Post
        He was a very heavy bird. The scale went missing at camp (as stuff always seems to do), but I am guestimating 20ish pounds judging by lifting it. Also had a decently thick beard (again for a 2 year old). In my experience, it is uncharacteristic of the area for a bird to be that young and that heavy.

Oh dang!

I misunderstood.....my bad.

I read it that you passed him! I was scratching my head trying to understand [emoji2371][emoji2359]

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          She was tempting... but she or one like her has been around awhile. She has brought a few Toms my way so we have a mutual working agreement .[emoji23][emoji23]
          I hear you. She gave you a free pass by growing manly parts She's educating the young 'uns. It's just like that old blowing doe!!

We experienced what you did a little further west at the end of March. Should be just about 'right' now but I doubt I can get back down there. Good luck the rest of the weekend and hopefully you strike one that's willing to play!

Comment

Photos are too large to post (dang iPhone ‘live’ photos) but I had my first triple on Wednesday afternoon. Set up around 5:40 by the river and immediately heard a gobble 3-400 yards off. I responded and sat quiet for a few minutes. I let out some soft yelps and was cut off by a gobble, half the distance this time. Repeat again 6 minutes later and there are multiple gobbles responding, at least 2 birds. Knowing they were coming, I assumed they new the exact clearing I was in so I shut up and waited. Three toms came in from the spot I least suspected, 80 yards out. They did the turkey jog and quickly came to investigate my foam game winner decoys, but then started to skirt the edge over my left shoulder. The way they approached did not allow me to move or adjust. I decided I’d make an adjustment and shoot the last one as he passed through the opening in the trees like the other two just had done. I swung around backwards right as he went through the opening and shot him. I held in that position for a second and one of the others came back out in a hurry to beat up his dead friend, so I shot him too. The third Tom decided to run out and see what was up with his buddies, and I shot him too. Spurs were all 1”-1 1/8” and the beards are 8-10”. After not getting a bird last year, for the first time since 2011, I’m quite satisfied. And I have one more tag to keep hunting on.
            Last edited by Patton; 04-09-2021, 03:27 PM.

Comment

Scored on another mid-day bird today. 2 o'clock has been money time for me this year.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Heading up to RR this morning to do a little last minute scouting and pull the cards to see what is moving. Our season doesn't open until the 22nd, and I will be up that weekend to try and get myself or the little man a bird. I head out Monday to Muse WMA for my draw hunt, can't wait to chase a Rio again. Haven't had an opportunity to kill a Rio since we last drew at San Angelo about 5-6 years ago. Should be a fun hunt, two of us will have the entire place to ourselves for 3 days. I will update any kills here, and try to do a live thread separately if service allows.

Comment

Nice bird trkyhunter!

Sitting with Amy trying get her a bird this am. Birds were completely silent until 710, gobbled 3 or 4 times, then haven’t talked much since. Weird. Had a jake come in hot but he lost interest after about 10 min then left. Waiting on the big boys to come play.

Comment

Spotty service but we have 2 down...one yesterday evening and one this morning.

North wind is blowing pretty good but I think we have enough options to stay in the game.

Comment

Heard nothing this morning, but I imagine they’ll get going this afternoon.

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5570.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	109.3 KB
ID:	24649087

Name:	IMG_5572.jpg
Size:	67.2 KB
ID:	24649088

Name:	IMG_5590.jpg
Size:	144.7 KB
ID:	24649089

Name:	IMG_5591.jpg
Size:	137.0 KB
ID:	24649090

Name:	IMG_5592.jpg
Size:	149.1 KB
ID:	24649091

Name:	IMG_5593.jpg
Size:	137.5 KB
ID:	24649092

Name:	IMG_5594.jpg
Size:	103.6 KB
ID:	24649093

Name:	IMG_5595.jpg
Size:	132.8 KB
ID:	24649094

Name:	IMG_5576.jpg
Size:	120.6 KB
ID:	24649095
                        Got to slip off to south Texas last week for a few days with my best friend and chase some Rios. Monday and Tuesday were rough with 30+ mph winds, and birds not very interested a half hour after fly down. Managed to get one bird down Monday evening, Tuesday was a long long day that ended with our tails tucked, then Wednesday was the best day in the turkey woods I’ve ever experienced. We killed 6 great birds all mature with great hooks and beards with one being a double beard and another with triple beards. Awesome time! Headed to Kansas in a few weeks to see how them birds are doing. Congrats to all on yalls success, God bless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Name:	IMG_5596.jpg
Size:	123.1 KB
ID:	24649096

Name:	IMG_5597.jpg
Size:	126.3 KB
ID:	24649097

Name:	1e3b5e10-6423-49d9-b861-245ac2e7f1b6.jpg
Size:	69.0 KB
ID:	24649098

Name:	218f9270-625d-4556-9107-7322f0efa32e.jpg
Size:	58.7 KB
ID:	24649099

Name:	ef3d4cbd-da8e-4944-9792-7a5c1273b504.jpg
Size:	95.8 KB
ID:	24649100

Name:	47567601-0092-4954-9255-6820dbc8d317.jpg
Size:	76.4 KB
ID:	24649101

Name:	c6f0b86f-d2a7-4748-9a8c-c8f6fa6315d5.jpg
Size:	57.2 KB
ID:	24649102

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Some serious birds lepperson. Congrats! [emoji1303]

Amy and I are back in a blind. Nothing but the one jake this morning. Not looking promising. Birds aren’t talking at all and cams show jake cartel is running the place. If we get one to play I bet he comes in quiet.

Comment

After running around with shotguns yesterday evening and this morning, we’re bowhunting this afternoon.

Birds have been unusually quiet but we still managed to get 2 running and gunnin

This place has senderos religiously cut throughout the place. We’re setup at a 4 way bout 300 from the river. Track on top of track so we’re hoping we can catch one cruising by

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X