Timed Protein ????

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Timed Protein ????

I want to add a gravity fed protein feeder to my 2nd set up. Last year I ran one small 350lb protein feeder and between the Axis & Whitetail, it was lasting about 6-7 days. I picked up a 800lb and 600lb feeder but I'm thinking of putting a timed unit on to control the feed. With 2 corn feeders, 2 hay feeders, 2 block feeders, plus 2 protein feeders, I dont think I can foot the bill.

So for those who run the timed protein feeders, about how much protein do you go through a month. I know there are a lot of circumstances, but I hope this gives me a good idea if buying the timed controllers are going to be worth the extra money. TIA

Carey, we use the Hammer timers on ours. 1700lb lasts us about 5 months.

Comment

Originally posted by nursejenn View Post
      Carey, we use the Hammer timers on ours. 1700lb lasts us about 5 months.
      That is what I was thinking on putting on mine

Comment

I have a 500# Diamond trough feeder set at about 10 seconds in the morning and 10s in the evening that feeds out 6 bags a month.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post

So for those who run the timed protein feeders, about how much protein do you go through a month. I know there are a lot of circumstances, but I hope this gives me a good idea if buying the timed controllers are going to be worth the extra money. TIA
          It will depend on how hard they are hitting it & how long you feed. I have the hammers & during summer would go through 2000 lbs about every 3-4 weeks. That was leaving it open from daylight to dark. Definitely worth it in my opinion. Being able to close it at night will cut your coon consumption way down.

Comment

If you need a hammer timer shout. I bet I am close by to you Carey.

Comment

Go with the hammer.

Comment

I have 2 lamco times feeders. I feed 3 times a day, I think at 6 seconds . 1k lbs last about 6 weeks I'd say

Comment

Originally posted by DUKFVR View Post
                  It will depend on how hard they are hitting it & how long you feed. I have the hammers & during summer would go through 2000 lbs about every 3-4 weeks. That was leaving it open from daylight to dark. Definitely worth it in my opinion. Being able to close it at night will cut your coon consumption way down.
                  This.

Comment

I've got a 500lb timed protein feeder and I usually have to fill it every 10-12 weeks.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
                      I want to add a gravity fed protein feeder to my 2nd set up. Last year I ran one small 350lb protein feeder and between the Axis & Whitetail, it was lasting about 6-7 days. I picked up a 800lb and 600lb feeder but I'm thinking of putting a timed unit on to control the feed. With 2 corn feeders, 2 hay feeders, 2 block feeders, plus 2 protein feeders, I dont think I can foot the bill.

I did the same. Went from a 300# to a 600# ASF timed unit. Mine gets hit hard by pigs, deer and occasional exotics and critters. I went from filling every weekend to going between two-three weeks before it empties. Not sure that's better since I almost doubled capacity but I set the timer to only go off in mornings to cut back on the overnight buffets.

Comment

I have a 1,000 lb timed Lamco trough feeder. It’s been a great feeder for 5 years now. My feeder last me 6 weeks. If you have plenty of animals eating it then set it to what you can afford. My 1,000 lbs would be gone in a week if it was gravity fed.

Comment

700 pound feeder - takes about a month or five weeks running twenty seconds twice a day.

Comment

Working...
                          X