No announcement yet.

DIY: Cell activated Hog trap gate

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’m using a Amazon or Walmart gsm with the antenna it came with.
    Link to antenna?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I like that setup. Great use of a yard fence !!

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Samson View Post
        Consider adding a momentary pulse relay instead of just on/off for your door actuator. Those actuators only need a short pulse of power to actuate and close the door. If you provide constant power they will burn up and if you forget and leave it on, it will drain your battery. There are lots of wiring diagrams out there for DIY momentary pulse relays. We had poor cell reception so it was always a guess if the trap actuator turned off after we sent the command. With a pulse relay it never gets more than about a second of 12v power.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk
        The opener he is using is programable for the amount of time the power stays on.

Comment

What gsm controller are yall using after 3g is phased out?

Comment

Originally posted by Beerdonga View Post
            What gsm controller are yall using after 3g is phased out?

There's one that's around a $150. I have not researched in detail.

Comment

This is what we are using:

We went to this one, even though it is a bit more expensive than what we were previously using because we had a couple different times that the internal relay stopped working, so we had others in this unit we could go to without having to change the entire controller.

Comment

Originally posted by Boone11 View Post
                Originally posted by roughneck266 View Post
                This is what we are using:

We went to this one, even though it is a bit more expensive than what we were previously using because we had a couple different times that the internal relay stopped working, so we had others in this unit we could go to without having to change the entire controller.
                Thank you both for sharing this information. Out of curiosity, about how much do you folks end up paying on the phone/SIM card plan??

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                  Thank you both for sharing this information. Out of curiosity, about how much do you folks end up paying on the phone/SIM card plan??
                  I think it's 15/month. I am not home right now, so I can't see for sure, but it isn't expensive by any means.

Comment

I have a SIM card that is 5$ a month off Amazon, meant to run an alarm system;

$30 Alarm SIM Card for GSM Home/Business Security Alarm System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072PQX1X5...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I’m also running this gsm opener;

KKmoon GSM Door Gate Opener,Remote On/Off Switch,Access Control Switch,Light Switch,Home Lock Switch,APP Control,Free Call,SMS Command,Support 850/900/1800/1900MHz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5AR51B...FAB3GPSQ8JGC08

I have a 12V feeder battery and solar panel for power, above gsm, cheapest lawnmower solenoid I could buy and the 60lb door popper. Everything is in an ammo can which is mounted to the gate frame. I hooked everything up at my house in Fort Worth and viola she worked, and multiple times. Took it to the ranch in Stephens county and nada... GSM won’t connect, but the coverage map of the SIM is blanket coverage so I dunno what my issue is. I think the SIM uses Verizon service and I use Verizon for my cell phone provider with no issues in the exact same area. Help!

Comment

Originally posted by DoveBlaster View Post
                      I have a SIM card that is 5$ a month off Amazon, meant to run an alarm system;
                      Ut
                      $30 Alarm SIM Card for GSM Home/Business Security Alarm System https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072PQX1X5...ing=UTF8&psc=1

I’m also running this gsm opener;

KKmoon GSM Door Gate Opener,Remote On/Off Switch,Access Control Switch,Light Switch,Home Lock Switch,APP Control,Free Call,SMS Command,Support 850/900/1800/1900MHz https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01N5AR51B...FAB3GPSQ8JGC08

I have a 12V feeder battery and solar panel for power, above gsm, cheapest lawnmower solenoid I could buy and the 60lb door popper. Everything is in an ammo can which is mounted to the gate frame. I hooked everything up at my house in Fort Worth and viola she worked, and multiple times. Took it to the ranch in Stephens county and nada... GSM won’t connect, but the coverage map of the SIM is blanket coverage so I dunno what my issue is. I think the SIM uses Verizon service and I use Verizon for my cell phone provider with no issues in the exact same area. Help!

How is the coverage in the area where you placed the device? Your phone probably has a better antenna. Additionally, you might see if it connects while out of the ammo can. Perhaps you can mount the antenna out of the ammo can.

Plus I believe Werizon is on CDMA versus att & t-mobile which are GSM. use the googler for "which carries are GSM"?
                      Last edited by Pedernal; 03-21-2021, 02:57 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Pedernal View Post
                        How is the coverage in the area where you placed the device? Your phone probably has a better antenna. Additionally, you might see if it connects while out of the ammo can. Perhaps you can mount the antenna out of the ammo can.

Plus I believe Werizon is on CDMA versus att & t-mobile which are GSM. use the googler for "which carries are GSM"?

The SIM card was supposed to be Verizon supported and Verizon has very good (most of the time full bars) signal in the area but the sim folks asked me if T-Mobile worked in the area too which I don’t know. I bought the card under the assumption it was Verizon supported because that’s what it said and the answering machine no service recording is from Verizon. I tried getting the GSM to connect outside of the box and it wouldn’t. ATT is not an option out here as the service is poor and I’d rather pull all of my fingernails out than give ATT more money than I have to. Does anyone know of a cheap ($5/$10 per month) SIM card that is supported by Verizon?

Thanks for the reply’s!

Comment

Comment

Good stuff!

Comment

Does this work with Verizon cell service?

Comment

awesome project!

Comment

Working...
                                X