Bass lake questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Razorback01 View Post
    Why not let mother nature take her course? Stock with bait, and I'll admit I'm no expert.
    If his goal is to grow 10# plus bass (which is my goal), really need those good FL genetics. Growing 10# bass is a lot like growing a 200” deer. Need genetics, food and age (and structure).

Comment

So many questions need to be answered before being able to put together a game plan for you. So here goes... How big is the lake? How deep is the lake? What are the depth measurements across the lake by quadrant? What species of fish are in the lake? How old is the lake? That’s just a few of the questions that need to be answered. A “Fishery” is not the place to get answers. Be glad to help you. If your Dad wants to make his lake an awesome lake it’s going to take more than throwing a few fish in and hoping for the best. PM me with answers to those questions if you want.

Comment

Originally posted by WestTXHunter View Post
        So many questions need to be answered before being able to put together a game plan for you. So here goes... How big is the lake? How deep is the lake? What are the depth measurements across the lake by quadrant? What species of fish are in the lake? How old is the lake? That’s just a few of the questions that need to be answered. A “Fishery” is not the place to get answers. Be glad to help you. If your Dad wants to make his lake an awesome lake it’s going to take more than throwing a few fish in and hoping for the best. PM me with answers to those questions if you want.
        No idea about by quadrant. But the lake was originally about 1/2 acre, maybe a tad bigger. It is now about 4 acres and 10-14' deep. There are bass, catfish, and a few crappie in it. Nothing of note. We have fished it for years and it doesn't produce much, and I would think it is due to lack of structure. I know it needs a bunch. The old lake was built in 1994. It was just enlarged this month, or finished this month. It is creek fed.

Probably biggest fish in it is about 3 pounds.

Sent from my SM-N950U using Tapatalk

Comment

We’ve had good luck with ours by just adding new fish in and feeding them 20 pounds of minnows 3 times a year. We ad in bluegill once a year. We take small bass and crappie out a lot as well. Fish store lost all of their Florida bass last week during the freeze. They were out of regular goat head minnows but had theses salmon looking ones In stock
          Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by Sticks&Strings View Post
            It is creek fed.
            Just curious. What type of dam/ overflow system do yall have?

Comment

Originally posted by Chew View Post
              Just curious. What type of dam/ overflow system do yall have?
              I haven't seen it in person yet. I'll take a picture when I get back up there.

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
                We are not using roatnone. We have been killing as many as we can with rod and reel and will shock the rest out next week.

I’m paying $25 for 2-3 pound pure FL bass.

Also getting coppernose bluegill, fathead minnows and tilapia.

We have built a bunch of FADs. I’ll post some pics.
                Where are you buying your fish from?

Comment

Originally posted by Chase This! View Post
                  One of our designs.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                  Any more details or pictures of this? What is the base and frame made of?

Comment

Any more details or pictures of this? What is the base and frame made of?

Looks like a black plastic pallet for the base with palmettos for foliage & cover. The pallets are used by nurseries.

Instead of poisoning or choking the oxygen, would it be easier, cheaper, and more environmentally friendly to use electricity and pick up the floaters ? I have no clue if that’s considered “legal” on a private pond when the goal is to remove all fish.

Last edited by Cajun Blake; 02-28-2021, 01:10 PM.

Comment

Tagged

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Where are you buying your fish from?

I would delete this Quick.

Comment

Correct. Plastic pallets.

Comment

Originally posted by JFFB View Post

Why?

Comment

No idea about by quadrant. But the lake was originally about 1/2 acre, maybe a tad bigger. It is now about 4 acres and 10-14' deep. There are bass, catfish, and a few crappie in it. Nothing of note. We have fished it for years and it doesn't produce much, and I would think it is due to lack of structure. I know it needs a bunch. The old lake was built in 1994. It was just enlarged this month, or finished this month. It is creek fed.

Probably biggest fish in it is about 3 pounds.

Are the fish you've caught have big heads and skinny bodies?

Comment

Originally posted by JFFB View Post

Why?

Comment

Working...
                                X