Exotic hunts and die off

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Exotic hunts and die off

Well, we all have been hearing about the die off of BlackBuck, Axis and I am sure a whole bunch of other critters succumbed to the cold also. Applying simple supply and demand rules. What will that die off do to the price of exotic hunts now?
    The critters that survived are now worth a premium because of the die off. They should be if the rancher took steps to protect his livestock. Your 2500-3K trophy Axis hunt now became 5K or more. 3-5 year old Axis/blackbuck/fallow don't grow on trees.
    Do you see this happening? I don't see people stopping those type hunts.

Interested in perspectives from folks that own and manage exotic hunting operations.

Comment

Hope not but like mentioned supply and demand. Wouldn’t be surprised to see a raise in prices until they start to grow their heard back to the pre freeze levels.

Comment

Everyone assumes that the death loss was high because of a few pictures cycled around Facebook and other places. The ranchers I deal with experienced little to no death loss. I don’t see prices going up unless the kill was both massive and widespread. Even then, it’s whatever the market will bear for it.

Comment

It wont have a dramatic effect if any. The guys selling hunts will balance. Some will gonup dramatically and end up not selling hunts. You will see more “free” range critters because there was alot of fences in my area twisted up and down from fallen trees

Comment

The ranch I hunt axis once a year lost 30 to 40 percent. They are limiting doe kills and have gone up on bucks about $500.

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Bound View Post
              Everyone assumes that the death loss was high because of a few pictures cycled around Facebook and other places. The ranchers I deal with experienced little to no death loss. I don’t see prices going up unless the kill was both massive and widespread. Even then, it’s whatever the market will bear for it.
              Went to my lease yesterday in northern Erath county. High fence property near ours has Axis and Black Buck`s. I was surprised to see lots of them grazing in a grain field after getting down to -4 last week. It doesn`t mean that none died though.

Comment

we are not going to shoot any axis does on our low fence or high fence properties , we may have a slight increase if we have to buy stocker bucks .
                we fed a ton of leading up to the storm and have faired pretty well.

Comment

bump

Comment

Both of my places seem to have faired well. Lots of cover prob helped a bit.

Comment

I only lost 4 are 5 of my Blackbucks. Problem is one I lost was a stud. Lady here in Mills county has counted 58 dead out of a herd of 83.

Comment

I have several friends that lost a lot of animals. They are now 5 years behind .... what we lost won’t hurt us . I expect to see the prices on common exotic to go up across the board.

Comment

So I am curious for those in the industry we keep hearing of this outfit loosing lots of animals and that outfit right down the road only loosing a few.

What do you thing the difference between the two was water, cover, feed combination of all of the above?

Comment

I lost about 20%ish of Axis out of a herd of around 50. Lost 1 out of 8 blackbuck. I put out a LOT of cottonseed and Alfalfa. I put hay on ground of south side of buildings.

Sent from my SM-G986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Austin View Post
                              So I am curious for those in the industry we keep hearing of this outfit loosing lots of animals and that outfit right down the road only loosing a few.

What do you thing the difference between the two was water, cover, feed combination of all of the above?
                              If they hadn’t loosed any of them in the first place they’d still have all their animals.

Sorry but I couldn’t help myself.

Comment

Working...
                              X