Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Calling all Sea Aggies

Howdy,
    My daughter has been accepted to Texas A&M Galveston. She has been accepted to several other schools however she is leaning toward A&M Galveston due to proximity to where we live and smaller classes. I have very little experience with the school itself other than fishing the local waters.

After some research I like what I am seeing in regards to degree plans, job placement, close knot environment, etc.. My daughter really likes the Marine aspects of all the degree plans as well.

I would love to hear of your experiences good, bad, ugly.

The son of a friend of ours graduated from there. He chose that campus for the marine aspects as well.

Several of my sons friends went there for a year until they could transfer to the main campus in College Station. I have only heard good things from them.

Comment

I went there for a year and a half. Lots to do around the island and the students are tighter knit due to the small town feel. There was some shady areas pre-Ike with the government housing that was right at the base of Pelican Island but from what I understand that isn't as big of an issue anymore. I went into it with no previous experience or knowledge myself and I don't regret it a bit.

Comment

I graduated from TAMUG in '06 with a Maritime Administration degree. The campus, as you mentioned is small; that has both pros and cons. I believe the pros weigh out the cons significantly.

With exception to the your basics, which will be taken freshmen year, class sizes are 30 or less students. I found it very easy to interact with my professors during and after class. Many of them have an open door policy. Galveston Community College is also on the island; if for some reason she would like to take transferable courses there, it is very simple to, and easy to access the GCC campus.

Since the student body is so low, as mentioned above, it is a tight knit group. You knew everyone and everyone knew you....kind of like a small town.

As 88 bound said.....the island seems to have cleaned up a bit since Ike. I am currently working down on the strand. There still are pockets of poverty but overall it is a great environment.

Comment

Congrats on your daughter getting accepted !! I dont know anything about the campus in Galveston, but I have a pretty good feeling that I would have been a horrible student if I was minutes/seconds from the water......wouldnt have been much studying going on.

Wish her all the best, I bet it is a great place to go to school.

Comment

Originally posted by texan16 View Post
            Congrats on your daughter getting accepted !! I dont know anything about the campus in Galveston, but I have a pretty good feeling that I would have been a horrible student if I was minutes/seconds from the water......wouldnt have been much studying going on.

Wish her all the best, I bet it is a great place to go to school.
            LOL, I know exactly what you mean. Wouldn't make too many morning classes.

Comment

I grew up on the island and eventually landed at TAMUG. If your daughter plans to go into the maritime / logistics world it’s a good option. The engineering programs produce good jobs as well as the Maritime admin pathway. I was shacked up with my now fiancé off campus the whole time so no comment on campus life although my buddies seemed to enjoy. Feel free to PM for any specific questions.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I graduated there in 2003. The campus is waaayyy different than when I went there. Lots more buildings. However I liked the smaller classes. Maritime Administration grad here.

Comment

I forgot to mention, that the transition to College Station (if that is her intent) is easy coming from TAMUG. It is the only true sister college, or at least was when I was in college. I graduated from Aggieland after my start at TAMUG.

Comment

Working...
                  X