Whole home generator

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Whole home generator

Anybody have experience with a 20 kw with Briggs & Stratton engine. That or the Generac seems to be the ones most folks use. I’ve been thinking about getting one for several years but I’m ready to pull the trigger now. Appreciate any input from owners.

I have the 20kw by Generac.......so happy it was part of our build. Worth every dime and never misses a beat.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have a 22kw generac and its been very reliable. We have had it for about three years and no issues so far!

Comment

Can you run them on propane....and is their a minimum size tank needed....I have a 250 gal

Comment

Tagging along for info on this thread...My brother is interested as well
          You guys that have them do you have auto or manual switchover?
          What are the limitations? Will it run electric heat system?

Comment

Auto switch within 5 seconds of power blinking. Crazy fast. Mine may be 22kw also. Yes , runs central air or heat. Yes, it can run on propane....don't know requirements however.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

We have a 22kv generac and it was installed when we had the house built. Living in a rural area with trees/power lines the best money we spent imo. At the time it cost us &6500.00 with the transfer switch installed.

Comment

I have a GE 20kw powered by a Vanguard engine and automatic transfer switch. It runs on propane. I have had it for 7 years with no issues.

It has currently been running for 29 hours straight. It has run for 3-4 days straight several times. I am located in SW Rusk county.

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post
                  I have a GE 20kw powered by a Vanguard engine and automatic transfer switch. It runs on propane. I have had it for 7 years with no issues.

It has currently been running for 29 hours straight. It has run for 3-4 days straight several times. I am located in SW Rusk county.
                  You have a standard 500 gallon propane tank?

Comment

If you plan on running it on natural gas. Check with your local gas company. They sometimes offer discounts in conjunction with dealers, generally during hurricane season

Comment

I think the Generac is the way to go but make sure you vet the contractor doing the install. My sister had one installed in January 2018 after dealing with Harvey and it ran for about 2 hours and then never again when it was needed. They sat through Laura for a week and Zeta for 3-4 days. It was finally repaired in November 2020 and now working correctly.

Generac customer service was useless. They kept sending techs out, inspect, order parts and then never show up again. It was all in the fuel line and each new tech blamed the last tech for doing something wrong.

They also lost 3 full 500 gallon tanks over the course of that time due to it leaking out at the generator.

Do your homework on who makes the installation.

Comment

Yes on a generac for the warranty to be good it has to be a generac licensed technician. Under the warranty it’s suppose to be serviced by them also once a year. I purchased a 10 year warranty for 1000.00 plus the original cost of 6500.00 I forgot to add. No problem with ours yet after 4 years.

Comment

Originally posted by Mike View Post
                          I think the Generac is the way to go but make sure you vet the contractor doing the install. My sister had one installed in January 2018 after dealing with Harvey and it ran for about 2 hours and then never again when it was needed. They sat through Laura for a week and Zeta for 3-4 days. It was finally repaired in November 2020 and now working correctly.

Generac customer service was useless. They kept sending techs out, inspect, order parts and then never show up again. It was all in the fuel line and each new tech blamed the last tech for doing something wrong.

They also lost 3 full 500 gallon tanks over the course of that time due to it leaking out at the generator.

Do your homework on who makes the installation.
                          Man that SUXS.

Comment

We have 22kw Generac. It ran for a week after the last hurricane. Cost me 100 bucks in gas. From inside the house you would never know the block was without power..
                            I told my electrician that I want to run all 3 ac units and every light in the house if I decide to so size the generator for that .

Comment

Originally posted by Gladesgator View Post

How much propane does it use? Say you didn't curb your electricity usage at all, how long would it run on a 250-gallon propane tank?

Comment

Working...
                              X