No announcement yet.

Cutting a Propane Tank

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm gonna cut it with a cutoff wheel. I'll start with it full of water, be carefull with my cords, and see how it goes.

I've been electrocuted plenty of times, I'll take my chances with that. Bein blowed up sounds less fun.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post

I've been electrocuted plenty of times, I'll take my chances with that. Bein blowed up sounds less fun.
      LMAO Dale! Good Luck!

Comment

Light a tape ball and toss it in. Any fumes that did happen to have held in a air pocket will flash off instantly.

Just make sure valve is open for a fire chute in case there is any gas left.

Comment

You got the right idea. Fill with water and cut with cutoff wheel. All should be good with the valve out. Drinking always helps IMO.

Comment

Originally posted by txhunter-1 View Post
            You got the right idea. Fill with water and cut with cutoff wheel. All should be good with the valve out. Drinking always helps IMO.
            Well ****, it's about time someone got to that part! I coulda been killed or ever worse!

Will have refreshments on hand, and some for the wife, who will be watching through the window with life insurance papers in hand!

It's settin outside full of water now. I have to do some layout, and make some design decisions before we chop it, but I think I'm good to go. Thank you all again, will video just in case I make the Darwin awards.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
              Will never work with a torch. Can't get it hot enough.
              LOL yes it will work if you have a good torch

What it will do with a torch is "burp" and scare the chit out of you. I know
              Was warned it would and still scared me

Dump the water Dale and use the cutoff for the cleanest cut with no mess

Comment

Dale post progress pics....I want to build a wood burning stove for the shop and would like to see what your building.

Comment

Just cut a 250 gallon tank to make a fire pit and a big feeder. Don't ever beleive a tank is empty, even when the Guage says it is, lol. Started removing one of the valves and gas was leaking out so decided to remove the whole valve before my wife pulled in the driveway and ignited something. Had a face shield welding gloves and a Arctic gun case between me and the valve. When that valve came off it felt like a horse kicked the gun case into my chest and the valve shot out a hundred yards from where the tank was. Of course our nest camera caught it all on video. Ended up filling it full of water and all was good. I too used a cut off wheel on a grinder, but I drained the tank by drilling a hole on the opposite side of the valve before I cut the tank.
                  Attached Files

Comment

So are ya'll saying to fill with water, let sit, drain water, and then cut an empty tank with a cutoff wheel? I have one that I need to cut into and want to use a wheel rather than a torch. I've seen guys on Youtube do it while they are still full of water, then just have to be careful about keeping cords out of the water.

Comment

Originally posted by Sackett View Post
                      Just cut a 250 gallon tank to make a fire pit and a big feeder. Don't ever beleive a tank is empty, even when the Guage says it is, lol. Started removing one of the valves and gas was leaking out so decided to remove the whole valve before my wife pulled in the driveway and ignited something. Had a face shield welding gloves and a Arctic gun case between me and the valve. When that valve came off it felt like a horse kicked the gun case into my chest and the valve shot out a hundred yards from where the tank was. Of course our nest camera caught it all on video. Ended up filling it full of water and all was good. I too used a cut off wheel on a grinder, but I drained the tank by drilling a hole on the opposite side of the valve before I cut the tank.

Lol! There’s a **** camera on us all the time anymore. I fell out of the back of my truck at work throwing trash in the dumpster, and made the mistake of telling my secretary. Totally forgot we had installed surveillance cameras 2 weeks before.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

After the bung holes were uncapped, and valve removed, I drilled a hole in the bottom of mine before filling with water. Then plugged it, filled it, let it sit a day, then drained it and cut away. Filling with water will push the gas out. The water will displace the gas. Letting it sit a day will also allow the water to seep into the metal pours forcing any gas out. Having a hole already plugged in the bottom is a lot easier than putting one in after it's full of water . And cutting while it's empty is less chance of making a shocking mistake.

Comment

Looks good

Comment

I guess no one here has ever seen a tank that is made with two sections sealed from each other, one side for gas and the other for liquid propane. Filling with water won't get water to that side. Cutting one end is fine and the other end.......... there won't be enough of you left to pick up with a shovel.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                              I guess no one here has ever seen a tank that is made with two sections sealed from each other, one side for gas and the other for liquid propane. Filling with water won't get water to that side. Cutting one end is fine and the other end.......... there won't be enough of you left to pick up with a shovel.
                              Curious as to what those would be used for? I’ve never heard of them.

Comment

100#

Originally posted by softpoint View Post
                                I've cut into lots of propane vessels. Self employed oilfield welder and fabricator for 30+ years. Fill it with water, up to the top where there is no air space. You'll have to turn the torch up a little to compensate for the heat the water will absorb. When you cut into it, especially at first, it may rumble and spit water several feet out of the filler neck. This is normal. Unless you didn't know its normal, then you have to change underwear.
                                ^^This exactly. I am in the gas business and we have to scrap them when they don't pass test. Fill it and cut it.

Comment

Working...
                                X