need carpenters help/advice.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

need carpenters help/advice.

I am wanting to build small 10x10 or 12x12 cabins.My goal is to have 1 door, 1 window, and 1 window unit. A corner for the microwave/coleman stove and small fridge. Corner for the bathroom. Wiring to be ran via external conduit, so rats cant get into it in the walls. Insulate it and put up a ceiling fan. Hot water source still under research. I plan to build 4 of these said condo's and marry them upto a 695.00 carport. The mini condos line outside edge of carport, doors open into carport area for shelter and fun. So whats the best way to accomplish this? I figure on buying a carport that is 8' or 10' at eaves? 8' work? As far as the cabins go, A single slant roof is fine for me. Suggestions? THe cabins will be built on beams and brought in and set in place. I already of pleant of crushed asphalt down as the base.

Framing them is pretty simple, no different than conventional house framing, there are some good videos on YouTube. 2x4's 24" O.C. with 7/16" sheathing over it. I'd lean towards 12'x12' buildings, more space and less materials waste with 4'x8' sheets.

For the height of your center car port, you need to figure out how tall your floor joists/footers are going to be, the interior height you want at the lowest point, and your ceiling height with the rafters. Figure your roof pitch and you will know how high the tall wall will be, which will determine the height of the carport eaves.

I'd put the bathrooms back to back on either side, rather than laying them all out the same, to simplify plumbing. Keep in mind a standard small bathroom in a house is 5'x7'. You might be able to get by with a 3'x6' if it is only a toilet and shower in there, have the mirror and sink in the main room like a hotel. Or just do joint bathrooms between cabins depending on how many people will be staying in them.

If you're going to use propane indoors you need to have good ventilation, signs reminding people, and CO detectors. Small porches/decks on the ends of each cabin would be nice if people want to be outside and have a bit of privacy.
    Last edited by gatorgrizz27; 10-17-2016, 08:21 PM.

Comment

Working...
    X