Opening up old wounds

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Opening up old wounds

9 year old daughter wanted to hunt with me and shoot a doe, yesterday we tried for 3 hours to kill a nanny doe with my recurve, she was getting ran all around the feeder and never offered what I considered to be a high percentage shot.

So today in the rain, we head back to the same spot, compound bow now in tow and the nanny doe is waiting on us at the feeder as we walk up. She runs off but quickly returns and we start the game back up again with us waiting 30 min, she necer offering us a shot. A buck comes in and she starts running around again…tiring of this game she gave me a slightly quartering-to shot at 19 yards so I let it rip. Arrow buries to the fletching, she kicks and runs thru a patch of woods behind the feeder.

Teaching the little one the proper after shot protocol, we go to the impact point and find the expected blood…we go thru the gap that she went thru ( not the gap I thought she went, even at 20 yards I mistook the one she took for another ) and get on her blood trail. About 40 yards into the ticket little girl says “ hey dad I found your arrow” and picks it up. She hands me my trad arrow that I buried into a buck the last day of the season in early January…shot looked a little bit further forward than I would have liked but it appeared I got good penetration. Never did find the buck, any blood nor hair.

Well, this arrow was broke off just past the insert approx. 3” behind the broadhead.

I would have bet significant money that it buried halfway into the buck, but it kicked out about 40 yards from impact, but I had taken the wrong trail and never found the arrow ( boneheaded move on my part, I was on a trail only about 10 yards from the one he actually took ).

Guess there was a fair chance to buck survived, I can’t see how the arrow would have gotten broke unless it happened when he was running thru the brush on his getaway scrape

Funny how stuff like that happens.

Sierracharlie out....

Comment

So did you find the doe?

Comment

Well, you got your arrow back.

Sent from my Nokia XR20 using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
          So did you find the doe?
          ^^^

Hate to hear that about your buck.
          Soooo, happy ending with your kiddo, a dead doe, and some upcoming LDP’s?

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
            So did you find the doe?
            Sorry, yes I did.

Took an arrow square thru both lungs, bled good the entire way but managed to make it 150 yards.

Pretty crazy I’ve never had a deer run that far yet, especially shot like that.

Comment

Congrats on your daddy/daughter doe Brandon!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                Congrats on your daddy/daughter doe Brandon!!!

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
                Thank you, the does on my place are much harder to kill than the bucks. She has been patient up to now but was wanting to see some blood drawn, we haven’t seen any bucks worth getting excited over.

Next year she is gonna be behind the trigger, so this was a good teaching moment

Comment

Working...
                X