My Grandfather's Deer "Feeder"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

AntlerCollector's post got me remembering my hunting days as a kid on my grandfather's 100-acre farm in Lavaca County.

He was born on the place in 1914 and told stories of how there were no deer around when he was a boy. If memory serves me right, they began seeing and shooting deer in the 40's for food. Not tags or license and he said that he always hunted with a 22 short single shot.

I remember walking with him to his stand to fill his "feeder" which consisted of an orange crush glass soda bottle. He had a pair of them and would fill one with corn and go put it out about 30 yards from his stand on the ground and pick up the empty one. I remember sitting with him and watching a doe kick and paw at the bottle to get it to roll around in the sand so corn would fall out. This was before feral hogs took over, so he knew the deer were getting his corn.

Crazy how many tons of corn I put out each year and looking back, he probably didn't use 5 pounds a season and he always killed a buck. He was a simple hard-working man, but boy did he love to go deer hunting each year. Good times and great memories.....

My grandfather holding the front legs, his older brother holding the rear, and their dad standing behind. Check out that hay stack in the back.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Awesome! I love those old pics

But not much has changed here in lavaca county as far as no license and using .22 chorts lol.

Comment

Cool old pic

I hunted a lease outside of Llano back in the early 90's (first lease I paid for) and as introduced to corn in a 2 liter plastic coke bottle. Those deer would kick that bottle, nibble up the corn that fell out and kick it again

Comment

Good stuff

Comment

Originally posted by TXBRASS View Post
            AntlerCollector's post got me remembering my hunting days as a kid on my grandfather's 100-acre farm in Lavaca County.

He was born on the place in 1914 and told stories of how there were no deer around when he was a boy. If memory serves me right, they began seeing and shooting deer in the 40's for food. Not tags or license and he said that he always hunted with a 22 short single shot.

I remember walking with him to his stand to fill his "feeder" which consisted of an orange crush glass soda bottle. He had a pair of them and would fill one with corn and go put it out about 30 yards from his stand on the ground and pick up the empty one. I remember sitting with him and watching a doe kick and paw at the bottle to get it to roll around in the sand so corn would fall out. This was before feral hogs took over, so he knew the deer were getting his corn.

Crazy how many tons of corn I put out each year and looking back, he probably didn't use 5 pounds a season and he always killed a buck. He was a simple hard-working man, but boy did he love to go deer hunting each year. Good times and great memories.....
            My Grandparents lived between Speaks & Cordele. They did the same thing with soda bottles. That brings back some good memories. They also killed deer just to have meat. They farmed rice & did not have a lot of money.

Comment

Originally posted by Das71198 View Post
              My Grandparents lived between Speaks & Cordele. They did the same thing with soda bottles. That brings back some good memories. They also killed deer just to have meat. They farmed rice & did not have a lot of money.
              who were your people ?
              I grew up in the rice fields in the same area…FM 1300.
              I worked for the Morton and Goff families

Comment

My Grandparents lived on the Fenner Ranch. It’s just South of 1300. I know a lot of the Morton’s.

Comment

Great hat your dad has on. Is it still around?

Comment

Sorry- I meant your grandfather’s hat , is it still around?

Comment

Originally posted by Lynn21 View Post
                      Sorry- I meant your grandfather’s hat , is it still around?

Still hanging on his rack in his closet in what’s now our camp house.

Whether it’s the same one I’m not sure, but it’s a clone if not.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Very cool pictures.

Comment

I remember those old hay stacks ( background in your pic ) growing up down there ( Dubina area ). Cool old pic. thanks for sharing.

Comment

Great picture and even better memories! And look at how rangy and thin they were back then.

Comment

Thanks for sharing!

Comment

Working...
                              X