Purchasing Hardwood Lumber

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Purchasing Hardwood Lumber

Does anyone have any recommendations for where to buy hardwood lumber? I live in Midland, and I travel to Austin monthly. I'd like to make a table, and I was thinking I'd either use oak, pecan, or walnut.

Find a cabinet builder and buy from them

Comment

Fine Lumber & Plywood is Austin's oldest, and only family-owned full service hardwood lumberyard. Since 1981, we have been serving our city's trade professionals, custom cabinet shops, furniture makers, and homeowners alike with a wide range of hardwood products.

Bisch

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Berdoll Sawmill in Cedar Creek
        Fine Lumber in Austin
        Dakota Hardwood in Austin

Comment

Check out West Texas Wood Shop on Industrial Street in Midland. Great people and they will try their best to help you out.

Comment

Years ago, I worked with a sawyer out of Cedar Creek (between Austin and Bastrop) whose name was Berdoll. At the time, I was in possession of some heritage trees with a special provenance that I used to produce furniture, decorative arts and accessories, personal items, and various “statement” pieces.

When I went out to look at his saw mill, he showed me some of his other work through the inventory he carries. What I’ll tell you is this, Mr. Berdoll is a genius at sourcing highly unusual trees and is able to tease out the unique character of each block, trunk, root ball, or gall in order to produce milled wood that contains unique features and stunning character.

He charges well for his work but he has a gift when it comes to working with wood.

Berdoll Saw Mill (or something akin to that)
            Cedar Creek, Tx

Comment

Originally posted by PeePaw on Fork View Post
              Find a cabinet builder and buy from them
              Why do you say that?

Comment

Originally posted by Cactus rancher View Post
                Check out West Texas Wood Shop on Industrial Street in Midland. Great people and they will try their best to help you out.
                I'll check them out this week. Thanks!

Comment

Anyone know if hardwood costs have come down any?

Comment

I talked to Berdoll Sawmill yesterday for about 15min. They seem like great people to work with. I'm specifically looking for Walnut lumber which they said won't be ready for 8 months so i'm on their waitlist. Give them a shout. They were more than happy to answer all my questions over the phone. Gonna make a trip out there soon to see their showroom.

Comment

I typically will use Dakota Lumber
                      But there are quite a few good mills around the hill country
                      But most mill local, so not too much walnut.

Sent from my motorola edge 5G UW (2021) using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Lexington View Post
                        Anyone know if hardwood costs have come down any?
                        Not really.

Comment

You may also consider regular cedar. I cut down a few trees on our place and had a local guy plank them out and dowel them together so I could make a dining room table and it came out great. I also had him cut me out a beam and I made a light fixture out of it.
                          Attached Files

Comment

How much are you looking for.. i have some Ks walnut and a very large stack of Ks Oak.. all rough cut.. stored indoors..
                            The walnut is 39yrs old.. the oak about 8, cut it down myself, let the logs dry 5yrs before sawing.

Comment

Originally posted by Draco View Post
                              You may also consider regular cedar. I cut down a few trees on our place and had a local guy plank them out and dowel them together so I could make a dining room table and it came out great. I also had him cut me out a beam and I made a light fixture out of it.
                              Really like your table and light.. very nice!

Comment

Working...
                              X