2022-2023 Somerville public hunting thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

2022-2023 Somerville public hunting thread

It’s coming up quick. Who’s ready? Is anybody getting any scouting done? Good luck to everyone this year. It’s been really dry this year until recently. There’s lots of trees dying. Hopefully the rain we’re getting now will help.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Ya its been pretty rough out there this summer. I plan on letting these rain storms pass through and maybe take a walk about this weekend or next to get a look at things with a little water on them.

Comment

Been out scouting and moved my cameras around. Leaving next Tuesday for Elk opener in CO. Will hit ground again when I get back.

Comment

Originally posted by straightGrizzly View Post
        Ya its been pretty rough out there this summer. I plan on letting these rain storms pass through and maybe take a walk about this weekend or next to get a look at things with a little water on them.

It has been rough but at least there hasn’t been any mosquitoes. I’m hoping the rain will bring some animals back. We haven’t had pigs on camera in two months which is really weird for out there.

Comment

I plan on scouting next weekend. I’ll try to remember to post an update!

Comment

Went out scouting this morning for a few hours. We saw 5 does and a couple fawns. They weren’t too skittish but I’m betting October 1st they will be. Lol!! No bucks, no pigs. It’s still really dry out there. We’re going to need a lot more rain if there’s any hope for an acorn crop this year.

Comment

Whats the best way to set up a tree stand? Set it up and lock it for weekend? I’m worried about walking up on another hunter. Also hows the dove hunting?

Comment

Originally posted by TexAG22 View Post
                Whats the best way to set up a tree stand? Set it up and lock it for weekend? I’m worried about walking up on another hunter. Also hows the dove hunting?

That all depends on you. Some people set them up and leave them for a few sits and some stands have been out there for years, either forgotten or left on purpose. The rules say you can leave it for three days I believe. I carry mine in each time, set it up and hunt them take it with me when I leave.

As far as walking up on another hunter goes, it’s bound to happen at some point. I’ve done it and I’m sure plenty of others have as well. If you get there early like most of us do you’ll see the general direction people are headed or you’ll see headlamps in the dark so head a different direction and you should be fine.

No clue what the dove hunting is like. I haven’t ever bird hunted out there. I actually wish they’d stop all bird hunting out there.

Comment

IÂ’ll be out in the morning scouting. Anyone have luck with cellular cameras out there? I never get cell reception so I opted for normal game cameras.

Comment

Originally posted by BulletSAR View Post
                    IÂ’ll be out in the morning scouting. Anyone have luck with cellular cameras out there? I never get cell reception so I opted for normal game cameras.

Good luck!

We use cell cams. They can be pretty spotty depending on where you put them. Sometimes I’ve had to move them 30-50 yards or so to get better reception but they work surprisingly well considering I almost always have zero reception on my phone.

Comment

Was a damp and muggy morning. Found a couple spots I like that IÂ’ll be able to use my saddle in. Unfortunately one spot thereÂ’s a bucket tied to a tree pretty close to where I set up so I may be sharing the area.

Walked by a couple tacticam cameras, you may have taken my picture!

Spooked a couple doe along the trail up north.

If anyone wants to get into a group chat for deconfliction/photos/sharing I can set up a group me or signal thread. PM your number so you donÂ’t have to post for everyone to see it.

Good luck and be safe!

Comment

Originally posted by BulletSAR View Post
                        Was a damp and muggy morning. Found a couple spots I like that IÂ’ll be able to use my saddle in. Unfortunately one spot thereÂ’s a bucket tied to a tree pretty close to where I set up so I may be sharing the area.

Walked by a couple tacticam cameras, you may have taken my picture!

Spooked a couple doe along the trail up north.

If anyone wants to get into a group chat for deconfliction/photos/sharing I can set up a group me or signal thread. PM your number so you donÂ’t have to post for everyone to see it.

Good luck and be safe!

It wasn’t one of my cameras. I’m guessing the bucket is supposed to be a seat?

That’s good you saw something. We haven’t seen a single buck in person or on camera still.

Comment

Hey all,

What do you guys use for repellent? I went out there back in June scouting as I’m new to the area. I got ate up so bad by chiggers I still haven’t gone back to check cams and what not. Do they die off at some point? Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by DieXarr0w88 View Post
                            Hey all,

What do you guys use for repellent? I went out there back in June scouting as I’m new to the area. I got ate up so bad by chiggers I still haven’t gone back to check cams and what not. Do they die off at some point? Thanks.
                            When I scout during the warmer months I wear my rubber LaCrosse boots, and spray down with off. This works really well for me...

Comment

Checked out Nails creek boat ramp this past week before teal and that whole end of the lake is waist high vegetation. Did end up seeing about a dozen deer where there used to be water. Looks like any teal out there is a bust this year.

Comment

Working...
                              X