Shot placement question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Shot placement question

A while ago, I shot this hog with my recurve. I have wondered ever since, what happened on this shot. I never found this hog and I lost blood short after the track began. I was using a 2 blade stinger that came unscrewed and spit out my arrow about 40 yards into the track. Take a look at this video and see what you think about the shot placement. What vitals (if any) did I hit?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

From what I am make out it should have been a pretty fair shot to the lungs a little bit high little bit forward and he was angling towards you may be just a little you did not get very much penetration but you should have gotten both of them I would think this is just my two cents I’m sure you will get a variety of opinions

Comment

That should be a dead hog . Bad thing about 2 blade if you don't get a low exit you don't get much blood.

Comment

Looks like you hit the shoulder to me. I'm looking at it on my phone so a bigger picture might look different.

Comment

Yep, looks like shoulder to me. Hogs are hard to kill sometimes. My buddy put a crossbow bolt into one’s lungs a couple years ago and I shot him 600 yards away with a 6.8 SPC. He was still running albeit a little awkwardly.

Comment

Looks like shoulder to me.

Comment

Stingers are tough heads. But that shot looks like it hit the shoulder. May cracked the bone, but hogs are tough to bring down.

Comment

Very likely a dead hog. Their vitals are forward so you have to stay close to the shoulder if your shooting them broadside. After a lot of what you dealt with on this hog, I started waiting for quartering away shots and my recovery rate went way up.

Comment

Originally posted by CEpperson View Post
                  Very likely a dead hog. Their vitals are forward so you have to stay close to the shoulder if your shooting them broadside. After a lot of what you dealt with on this hog, I started waiting for quartering away shots and my recovery rate went way up.

This was literally the first animal I had ever shot at with traditional equipment. I have since made the same adjustment with the exception that if the animal is broadside, the near side leg absolutely must be forward. If I had to do this over again, I would have made that a priority. I think I would have found a dead hog in 40 yards if that leg was forward because from what I know about hog anatomy, that arrow was tracking at the heart.

Comment

How much penetration did the arrow show?

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                      How much penetration did the arrow show?

There was blood up and down the arrow. I don’t know that it got that much penetration though because it’s been my experience that a lot of that could have been spray out of the wound. I mean it’s very hard to tell though because this is a picture of the fletchings which clearly have some blood splatter on them.

Comment

I finally managed to stop the clip as the hog wheeled around. The nock is a long ways from the hog.

Comment

Originally posted by Walker View Post
                          I finally managed to stop the clip as the hog wheeled around. The nock is a long ways from the hog.

I agree. Clearly it was limited penetration. The question is, “did it get the necessary 6-8 inches to do the job”?

Comment

I'd bet you see that fella again. At least on camera if it with a couple weeks in person.
                            Looked like a center shoulder punch where the blade meets the leg bone.
                            He'll have a limp for a while but he'll live.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

Watched it in slow-motion and agree with DRT you just might get another crack at him. If you do get your broadhead back

Comment

Working...
                              X