Pat Mayse WMA

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pat Mayse WMA

Well, I'm still recovering from my failure at the Big Lake Bottom WMA archery hunt, but it helps to start looking forward to my rifle hunt at Pat Mayse (Dec 3,4,5).

Has anyone had any success out there this season, during the drawn hunts or with the bow?

I've started pouring over the topo maps and there is a LOT of space to look over. Not needing to get too specific about spots, but does anyone have any advice? I haven't been before, and not knowing our compartment, I'm not sure a scouting trip would be very beneficial.

Thanks!

I went in 2020 and shot a coyote the first evening and missed a doe the second evening. Your scouting will be kind of hard unless you know what compartment you have. I will tell you that I had 6B and drove the logging road close to the lake. Units 6A and 6B were burned right before season this year.

Comment

Thanks for the reply. How did they do the compartment selection?

Comment

There will be a lot of acorns this year. I live about 6miles from there and the oaks in my yard are loaded. If you hunt one of the units they burned there should be a lot of green stuff growing on it by now or I would look for oaks dropping acorns. Good luck

Comment

Originally posted by TheSchwartz View Post
          Thanks for the reply. How did they do the compartment selection?
          They had compartments selected when the Biologist sent the email about orientation details.

Jacob White is the biologist - make sure to listen closely to what he says about the unit you get. Ask him for scouting tips - the spot he mentioned on the map is exactly where I had the doe come out. She was coming up out of a draw running parallel to the lake.

Comment

Originally posted by TexasArchery_27 View Post
            They had compartments selected when the Biologist sent the email about orientation details.

Jacob White is the biologist - make sure to listen closely to what he says about the unit you get. Ask him for scouting tips - the spot he mentioned on the map is exactly where I had the doe come out. She was coming up out of a draw running parallel to the lake.
            Good to know. Appreciate it!

Comment

Compartment has been assigned and we're headed that way in the morning! Very excited to explore a new spot and the weather looks to be pretty favorable (except for Monday).

Comment

Good luck and stay safe buddy,

Comment

If you have any problems holler, I am just down the road.

Comment

Following along, good luck!

Comment

Well I made it happen y'all. My first deer with a bow. Couldn't be happier that it was a Texas public land buck!
                      Attached Files

Comment

Congrats buddy, proud of you and glad you got it done.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSchwartz View Post
                          Well I made it happen y'all. My first deer with a bow. Couldn't be happier that it was a Texas public land buck!
                          Great buck man! Congrats, it's so tough to put a buck down on TX public!

Comment

Congrats!

Comment

Originally posted by troy_w_7 View Post
                              Great buck man! Congrats, it's so tough to put a buck down on TX public!
                              Thanks! I'd be embarrassed to say how long I've been trying to get one on the ground.

Comment

Working...
                              X