No announcement yet.

Southeast Iowa Live.....Come Along for the 2022 Season

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am set up in the spot I mentioned above. It is one of "those" places.

It's a rough as a cobb old home place. There is delapadated buildings, old wells, old hog shutes, rusted out appliances, ancient knarly trees. There is also trails everywhere cutting thru here. I have seen at least 20 scrapes without even looking for them. At least that many fresh rubs. I will kill a buck here. It might not be today, or tomorrow, or even this season, but I will eventually kill a good one here.

I am sitting on an inside field corner. There is winter wheat cover crop planted in the cut corn field to my north. There are scrapes all along this field edge. There is not one tree that is easy to get into without a lot of prep. I am one stick high in my saddle. I started to sit on the ground or stand by a tree but this will get me a little better shot over the brush.....I think. I was standing in buck droppings while setting my platform. That is deer poop on my platform. That little pond dam has at least 6 scrapes on it. My wife just got me permission to hunt in here yesterday. I wish I could have been in here earlier this season, but I am thankful to be in here now.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Good luck!

Comment

Originally posted by Aggiehunter08 View Post
        Good luck!
        Thanks!!!

Here is where I am sitting. I am in an ancient locust tree. I had to stretch my stick and platform straps to get around it.

Comment

Sounds like you found the honey hole. Good luck

Comment

That looks like a good inside corner Mike. Get him cutting across !

Comment

Good luck this evening.

Comment

Good looking setup, good luck this evening!

Comment

Good luck in the new Buck hole!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Killing time!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I saw three does right at dark. The old big mama doe saw me from way off and came straight to me. She blew at me from about 40 yards but came on in to 20 yards. I was ready to get down. I did my best coyote howl. It scared the crap out her and she tore out of there.

I have a lot of confidence in this spot. I really know nothing about it other than there is more concentrated buck sign in there than any place I have hunted here.

We drive by this place any time we go anywhere and have been for the last four years. So go figure.

Comment

“She” always shows up. You know the one with the strongest lungs in the county !!

Comment

Good luck amigo. Enjoying the read, keep it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrowsmith View Post
                            Thanks!!!

Here is where I am sitting. I am in an ancient locust tree. I had to stretch my stick and platform straps to get around it.

Is it just me or does that group of trees look like a cat?

Comment

Mike, whats the latest?

Comment

I have only done a couple of sits since Thanksgiving. Shotgun 1 (first firearms season) opened Saturday. So archery is closed until after Shotgun 1 and Shotgun 2. The orange army is out in force. The DNR closes archery for safety concerns. Too much lead flying. There are approximately 30,000 bow hunters in Iowa. There are over 100,000 gun hunters in Iowa.[emoji54] Archery will open back up on December 19th.

I hunted a couple of times last week. I started having some flu symptoms toward the end of the week. I went ahead and hunted last Friday since it was the last day of the early archery split. I had 6 does come in on me at the Red Gate stand in the morning. I hunted in my saddle in the evening near one of my food plots. I saw the broke ear buck and a 8 point that I had not seen before. Also 3 does. I was glad to see deer back on my food plots. I would have gotten some good pictures but I forgot my phone.

I also fell in the river (broke thru some thick ice and slipped on it) on my way to set up my saddle set. I was all wet down my left side and both boots full of water. I went ahead and hunted since it was in the low 50s. I am sure that didn't help my flu symptoms. I have felt bad all weekend.

Comment

Working...
                                X