No announcement yet.

Flounder Gigs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Wish I’d gotten some of my Great-Uncles gigs before he died. His was stainless steel and had large/small grooves like a chain file alternating the whole length. Held like all thread but didn’t tear up the meat he said.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Three prong stainless all-thread. I got mine from a guy on 2cool who made them, mounted to an 8' dowel rod. It's really hard to get the fish off of them things, almost too hard.

Comment

I have wanted to try this for sometime. Looks like a very effective way to get Flounder.

Comment

Tagged

Comment

tagged

Comment

My buddy built his flounder boat with a U shaped slot that was welded to the boat over a cooler. You would gig fish then use that slotted U to pull the fish off and fell into the cooler.gigs we used stainless all thread 3 prong.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Bisch View Post
                I have never been flounder gigging. What keeps the fish from getting off when you try to pick it up?

Bisch
                One, it helps to have longer shank gigs, less likely they will get off, in recent years they thing has been using all thread to make the shanks, even harder for them to get off. Used to be some people liked barbed gigs, but those can rip a good bit of meat out, as you remove the gig.

I grew up wading/flounder, that is how it was done for many years before the all of the guides started making expensive flounder rigs, where they stand on the bow and gig from the bow. They cover a lot more ground in a night that way than by walking, obviously. When floundering from a boat, you almost have to use a barbed gig.

The way I was taught to pick up a flounder, after gigging it, was to leave the gig in the flounder, if it's a bigger flounder, you may have to put some weight on the handle of the gig, to keep the fish from taking off out from under the gig. But you reach down, put your hand under the flounder the the prong or prongs of the gig between your fingers, then pick it up and put it on the stringer while it's still on the gig.

I still use the old cheap single prong gigs with no barbs. I have water proof lights on some of them. So I have the gig and light under water, when I find one, light it up and stab it. The only advantage to using a light on the gig, is it cuts down on how much you are carrying, while wading for miles, it simplifies things. I will have a knife in my pocket, a stringer, and then a gig with the light on the pole. Years ago, we would carry a Coleman lantern with tin foil on one side of the inside of the globe, so the light was only shining one direction, so you did not blind yourself. Then we had a knife, stringer, and a gig. Then we would take turns carrying the lantern.

Comment

I make my gigs frome commercial mop handles. Cut the center clamp off, cut the loops from the enda of the 2 sides. Straighten the sides and sharpen then with a grinder. Ping the triangle piece where the prongs come out and you're ready to go.
                  Attached Files

Comment

I like the frog gigs better than those big “flounder” gigs. I just use the stainless ones sold at most Ace Hardware Stores by the coast. I just started gigging this year and have not lost one due to not long enough.

Comment

Little man wants to gig a flounder or some frogs!! I’d trade a guided crappie trip for a night of flounder gigging or frogs!! I love frog legs. Flounder is ok.

Comment

Go to Fishing Tackle unlimited and buy a cheap 7' fiberglass boat road blank. Epoxy a muzzy bowfishing tip on it and add a foam grip on butt end. Works really good from boat or wading.

Comment

Working...
                        X