Colorado Unit 82 Archery Hunt OTC

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Colorado Unit 82 Archery Hunt OTC

I been researching this OTC unit. From what I researched it is a fairly rugged unit, overcrowded, and would be very hard archery hunt. I'm looking for anyone that has hunted this unit and your opinion of it. I will be guided by an outfitter & using horses & mules to get to camp in the upper elevation.

I know I'm not in mountain shape. I will be 57 next year but still in fairly good shape. I did a public hunt last year and put in close to 25 miles in 3 days (Flat Land). TIA

Bimp

Comment

You should be good with an outfitter. Putting that many miles at 56 is awesome although the mountains hit different than flat land. Train with a heavy pack on some hills if you can. I don't think that unit will be as crowded as other units.

Comment

Haven't hunted the area but was out that way 2 years ago. Stayed a week down near Antonito and spent a day at the great sand dunes that sit in the SE part of Unit 82. That country is amazing it will blow your mind. Saw a number of mule deer and pronghorn when entering the park.

Comment

Originally posted by BigLig View Post
          Haven't hunted the area but was out that way 2 years ago. Stayed a week down near Antonito and spent a day at the great sand dunes that sit in the SE part of Unit 82. That country is amazing it will blow your mind. Saw a number of mule deer and pronghorn when entering the park.

Thanks, I have seen some beautiful pictures from the area

Comment

Hunted 82 and 681 3 years ago. In unit 82 hunted the northern portion and also down in the valley. In the valley on the north side of the sand dunes there's a big chunk of land called the Baca that's open to elk hunting. Saw a huge bull far off with a bunch of cows but they were off the hunt area. Called in a couple off bulls over in 681 but couldn't get a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post
              I been researching this OTC unit. From what I researched it is a fairly rugged unit, overcrowded, and would be very hard archery hunt. I'm looking for anyone that has hunted this unit and your opinion of it. I will be guided by an outfitter & using horses & mules to get to camp in the upper elevation.

I know I'm not in mountain shape. I will be 57 next year but still in fairly good shape. I did a public hunt last year and put in close to 25 miles in 3 days (Flat Land). TIA
              I've hunt 681 ( up near Marshall Pass 10,000 elv) archery Elk hunting. Ans I hunted unit 82 as well. Both great area. Going with outfitter is one way to get away from crowds. Area good that's why crowded. Get in she, practice walking heavy back pack, drink plenty water. I use my pelaton to get legs in shape. When 1st get there go slow...don't want to get mountain sickness

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk

Comment

I have hunted the other side of the mountain in unit 86 near Westcliffe numerous times. I killed a 5x5 with my bow up there about 15 years ago. The wet mountain is tough to hunt and extremely rugged and steep! I have heard that the sand dunes are a lot easier and flatter to hunt. Good Luck as the success rate for archery elk around that area is probably 10 percent.

Comment

Originally posted by careybirdwell View Post

How did your hunt go? Any luck? I have been researching these units for a couple of weeks now for the 23 season.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                  X