• Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Walker View Post
    Try Crosman premiers 9.something grs. They shoot great in my rws
    I’ll check them out. Thank you.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
      I’ll check them out. Thank you.
      Don't bother... I think that 9 gr. pellet is .177 cal...

I'll see what I have in .22 cal and see if I have any that are heavier... If I do, I'll send you a handful. I bought one of those pellet kits from PA some time back to play with my .22 cal. R1...

Does your new RWS have the scope mount stop indention on the top of the receiver so you can put a scope stop on it? If it does, add one if you don't have one on it. That will help sometimes if you are not using a one piece mount.

Also, that Exact Jumbo is one that I shoot as well... I found that the Air Arms pellet in the exact same size shoots more accurately. I discovered that by accident sort of... Was working with my 25 cal. PCP's and learned that the AA pellets are also made at the same factory as the JSB's (which most European pellets are), but the AA pellets have a tighter quality control... That seems to be enough to tighten my groups up even more over the JSB Exact Jumbo's... If you can find some Beeman's Silver Bears in .22 cal. they would be worth a try too... they're heavy. Just don't remember exact weight. That's my go-to for the 177 cal. those or the silver streaks...
      Last edited by SaltwaterSlick; 10-25-2022, 01:18 PM.

Comment

My mistake. My rws is .177 cal.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
          Don't bother... I think that 9 gr. pellet is .177 cal...

I'll see what I have in .22 cal and see if I have any that are heavier... If I do, I'll send you a handful. I bought one of those pellet kits from PA some time back to play with my .22 cal. R1...

Does your new RWS have the scope mount stop indention on the top of the receiver so you can put a scope stop on it? If it does, add one if you don't have one on it. That will help sometimes if you are not using a one piece mount.

Also, that Exact Jumbo is one that I shoot as well... I found that the Air Arms pellet in the exact same size shoots more accurately. I discovered that by accident sort of... Was working with my 25 cal. PCP's and learned that the AA pellets are also made at the same factory as the JSB's (which most European pellets are), but the AA pellets have a tighter quality control... That seems to be enough to tighten my groups up even more over the JSB Exact Jumbo's... If you can find some Beeman's Silver Bears in .22 cal. they would be worth a try too... they're heavy. Just don't remember exact weight. That's my go-to for the 177 cal. those or the silver streaks...
          Good info Charlie, thanks.

Comment

If you get a break barrel, do a bit of Googling on the Artillery Hold. My RWS 45 .177 is very sensitive to how I hold it. You have to let it free recoil at the shot and stay consistent with your hold shot to shot. That's why I bought a .25 Marauder and rarely shoot the RWS.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Outback View Post
              If you get a break barrel, do a bit of Googling on the Artillery Hold. My RWS 45 .177 is very sensitive to how I hold it. You have to let it free recoil at the shot and stay consistent with your hold shot to shot. That's why I bought a .25 Marauder and rarely shoot the RWS.

Sent from my SM-G970U using Tapatalk

VERY GOOD POINT for all break-barrel guns whether spring piston or nitrogen/gas piston!!
              The more powerful, larger caliber, the more important the hold is... IF you grip the fore end, you'll never be able to shoot accurately consistently with a break-barrel gun... Lay the fore end in the flat palm of your hand or shoot off bags. They do not do well with a tripod mount or something like a caldwell deadshot field pod if you tie that front end down. It's got to "bounce" freely.

Comment

I have a Paul Watts tuned Beeman r1 22 cal. It’s deadly. 1” groups easily at 60 yards.
                I have killed a coyote at 50 yards with a head shot.

Comment

Why break barrel? If you can find a RWS with a lever those are best.
                  The break barrel tend to lose seal and air escapes from where the barrel breaks after time, but the lever ones don't because the barrel is one piece...

Comment

Lots of people don't like them but I have a Gamo .177 that I've had for years and it's deadly to 40 yards even on small chee chee size targets. It shoots pellet on pellet at 25yds. The only thing wrong is it is loud. Like 22 long loud. I threaded the barrel and put my DonnyFL moderator off the FX PCP on it and it's still loud. Pellets are braking the sound barrier I suppose?

Comment

Ok look into the rws air king. It's a recoiless action that is not hold sensitive. Great shooter very much like a pcp.

Comment

Rws 48 52 or 54. I think side lever are better. 22 years strong And still going.

Comment

HW98 or R11 are the best quality break opens but the come with a price tag

Comment

Originally posted by snipermedic View Post
                            Rws 48 52 or 54. I think side lever are better. 22 years strong And still going.
                            My Beeman R1 is around 34 years old.

Comment

I bought my first R1 in 1980 and got a lube and maintenance kit with it and a spare barrel seal... There's no telling how many thousands of rounds through that .177 barrel, and it's still the original barrel seal. Rebuilt the piston once... It's a left hand stock model.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
                                VERY GOOD POINT for all break-barrel guns whether spring piston or nitrogen/gas piston!!
                                The more powerful, larger caliber, the more important the hold is... IF you grip the fore end, you'll never be able to shoot accurately consistently with a break-barrel gun... Lay the fore end in the flat palm of your hand or shoot off bags. They do not do well with a tripod mount or something like a caldwell deadshot field pod if you tie that front end down. It's got to "bounce" freely.
                                Never thought of this but I guess it would explain why I'm struggling with groups shooting off the deathgrip.

Slick what scope would you recommend for a break barrel .22?
                                It's for my son and he wants one that has a good amount of zoom. Don't mind spending a little more as long as it is quality.

OP sorry for the derail.

Comment

Working...
                                X