Bottle or Floor Jack

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bottle or Floor Jack

I need to buy a jack to keep in the truck toolbox for truck flats (F350) or trailer flats (5th wheel). Should I get a bottle jack or a floor jack? Boyle jack takes up way less space and lifts more but I’m worried about stability if I have to use it on the side of the road.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I carry both.

Comment

Bottle jack + jack stand. Both lighter and less bulky than floor jack

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

2 bottle Jack's and a couple of blocks. My bottle jack that will fit under the axle with a flat wont go high enough to get the tire off.

Comment

I carry a small floor jack and some treated 2x10 squares. it's not too bulky if your tool box isn't too full of other stuff.

Comment

I carry a 6x6 (cut at angle/ramped) for tandem trailers. (flatbeds/5th wheel/no-dual tandems) Roll good axle up on 6x6 and get the flat on other axle off the ground, no jack needed.

Bottle jack in tool box (can be used on 6x6 if needed) for truck

If Big trailer/gooseneck/dual tandems, ect. I'll throw in a floor jack.

Comment

bottle jack in the truck and floor jack in the shop

Comment

I got both
                But if had to limited room in truck , bottle (12ton)and some wood blocks
                Floor jack floor is 2 1/2 ton still need blocks IMO
                Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 08-16-2022, 08:01 AM.

Comment

I’ve ended up on the side of the road with trailers a few times. Floor jack has always served me well but I’m not restricted by room.

Comment

I carry this:

https://www.amazon.com/Alltrade-6409...00694736&psc=1

Comment

12 Ton bottle jack with threaded extension.
                      Cordless 1/2" drive impact is also a game changer

Comment

I have learned that a bottle jack is great for space, but everyone I've ever had in my tool box was to tall to stand up and when it lays over you risk the chance for the oil to run out when you least expect it.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                          I have learned that a bottle jack is great for space, but everyone I've ever had in my tool box was to tall to stand up and when it lays over you risk the chance for the oil to run out when you least expect it.
                          Mine stays laid over in the bed of the truck. Just gotta make sure the bleeder screw is closed…every time. I always carry a few 2x6 or 2x8 short sections for blocking the jack and chocking tires.

Comment

Originally posted by LukeDuke View Post
                            Looks interesting. Have you tried it out yet?

Comment

I carry something like this for my trailer, but mine is built out of 2x6 boards, and a bottle jack because of space. If it is in an area that the bottle wont work, then I use the one that came with the truck. Also I carry a M18 1/2" impact

Comment

Working...
                              X