October In the Pines

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

October In the Pines

The family picked up 350 acres a year and a half ago in the northeast corner of Houston county. We’ve been working the property and putting in time to really cultivate a great place to hunt.

We’ve been primarily boom boom stick hunters most of my life with a little bit of bow but decided we’re really going to go all in this October. I’ve been personally shooting over the last year and a half and am grouping tight at 30 yards and starting to venture out to 40.

I guess my question is, what’re some pointers any of y’all might have for our first full bow season in east Texas ? Stand placements, gear, do’s and dont’s, websites for historical weather conditions, etc…

I’m shooting an elite set up at 60lbs and will most likely be in a ladder stand or a ground blind. Any input is welcome!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Don't miss

Comment

Aim small, miss small

Comment

In Houston county I would suggest to go visit this thread.

Comment

Ground blind, 25 yds and in. Takes adjusting to being still and quiet enough not to spook when your that close. Patience is key. When you do kill one with a bow, it won’t mean anything to shoot them with a gun from afar anymore. Be 1000percent on your equipment and skill. No room for error. It’s suppose to be challenging, what makes it more rewarding. GL

Comment

Set up on small handcorn pens back off the feeders.
            Set up on an edge so you can get in and out on a specific wind.

Never, and I do mean never, hunt a stand with the wind wrong.

Run cameras. Dont over hunt stands. Wait till you have a shooter coming pretty regular.

Create a sanctuary. It can just be 50 thick acres. Put it off limits. Zero intrusion with the rare exception of tracking a deer.

Comment

Some great deer come out of Houston Co. Hunted there for 20+ Yrs. October predominant wind will be SW. Do Not sit a stand if the wind is wrong and pay attention to your wind into and out of your stand. The mature deer in E Tex will not tolerate much pressure and will move if pressured. Good Luck….

Comment

Exactly what Gar Guy said. The only thing I would add is if you have the signal to run cell cams then use them. The less traces you leave the better!

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

Comment

Don’t hunt it so hard in October you ruin it for the first two weeks of November.

Comment

Originally posted by GarGuy View Post
                    Set up on small handcorn pens back off the feeders.

Run cameras. Dont over hunt stands. Wait till you have a shooter coming pretty regular.

Create a sanctuary. It can just be 50 thick acres. Put it off limits. Zero intrusion with the rare exception of tracking a deer.
                    This and done

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
                      Don’t hunt it so hard in October you ruin it for the first two weeks of November.
                      What happens in first 2 weeks of November?? I mean, Halloween is usually middle of the rut

Comment

Discipline is key. Keeping your distance within 20-25 yards max untill you get some notches on your riser is vital to building confidence, learning when to draw, learning how deer react to the sound of the shot, and giving the utmost respect for your target resulting in a humane responsible harvest. I love shooting at extended and unknown distances but that’s not how I hunt.

Comment

"Set up on small handcorn pens back off the feeders.

Create a sanctuary. It can just be 50 thick acres. Put it off limits. Zero intrusion with the rare exception of tracking a deer."

"Discipline is key. Keeping your distance within 20-25 yards max untill you get some notches on your riser is vital to building confidence, learning when to draw, learning how deer react to the sound of the shot, and giving the utmost respect for your target resulting in a humane responsible harvest. I love shooting at extended and unknown distances but that’s not how I hunt.
                          "

Copy and paste the two above post and re-read often...........then get out there and put your time in.

Rwc

Comment

You have already been given great advice. All I can add on top of that is to commit. If you want to be a serious bow hunter put the gun up. Even when you see your target buck cross out of range several times. If it was easy everyone would do it but the sense of accomplishment will make it all worth it in the long run.

Good luck.

-john

Comment

Don't ruin a good setup early on shooting a doe or spike and having to leave scent everywhere looking for the animal.

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                              X