Protein this time a year?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
    Have you guys been happy with “The Hammer”?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Very happy.

I feed free choice mid January to October. Then restrict to daylight hours during season.

Comment

We don't usually they really don't eat it after September and I don't want them eating all night

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Protein this time a year?

It keeps the deer from wandering as far. I’d rather go have them go nocturnal than go next door.

I definitely want to look into timed protein. That seems like the good compromise. Problem is, I see firsthand how many deer eat all night. If my neighbors decide to feed, then I have the potential of getting deer sucked off my place.
        Last edited by kyle1974; 11-12-2021, 07:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Smart View Post
          We that feed protein on our place do so during season as well because we used timed feeders. Does a good job of pulling mature bucks out in the day time if they want any. Acts just like the corn feeders at our place except they eat it out of the trays versus off the ground.
          That’s Smart!

Comment

We feed free choice year round.

Comment

Year round. Supplemental feed is part of the wildlife exemption on my cousin's place that I hunt.

Comment

Free choice, year round as well, keeps them hanging around our property and hopefully away from the neighbors place some.

Comment

Yes 24/7/365. We do it because we want all of our deer in the best shape they can be year round. If you don't start feeding until the day their antlers start to grow you've got to get his body back into shape before any of it goes to the antlers. I've been feeding this way for years and have got everyone on our lease to do it for two years now. Our bucks have increased 20-30 inches and went from 150-175 pounds to 200 plus.

Comment

We feed year round, when the deer get ran down they need it. The healthier you can keep your deer late season the better. When it comes to growing antlers in the spring they can put all of the nutrients into the rack, not their body. Its expensive but its the best option for the deer.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mule Skinner View Post
                      Question:

If you have wildlife tax valuation and your wildlife plan is for deer, which requires you to feed free choice protein year around, you don’t stop with the protein, correct?
                      I don’t think wildlife tax exemption requires year ‘round protein. Just a plan that includes supplemental feeding. Hope an expert chimes in.

Comment

Don't feed protein at all. Largely a waste of money. The biggest problem with most deer herds is age structure, no amount of feed will fix that problem. While you can spend thousands of dollars to add a few inches to immature deer, I've never seen the value in it. If you have nutritional deficiencies, you're better off in the long run using that money to fix the habitat rather than making it worse by by carrying an artificially high number of deer with the feed. Plus, the big disadvantage is elevated fawn crops. Most have too many deer already (that's why there are nutritional deficiencies to start with), counterproductive to add more. Most properties don't shoot near enough does.

Comment

Mexico: We feed free choice protein year round. Cotton seed January thru Sept. Want to keep the nutritional plane as high as possible year round and doesn't seem to impact deer movement for us .

Louisiana: Feed pellets and corn mix January thru early March then switch to straight pellets. Believe the additional energy has value early in the year. We stop feeding pellets Sept, cause once acorns start falling deer don't touch the protein. Have had pellets rot in barrel after Sept.

Comment

Throughout the year, as stated above helps with recovery through rut during this time.

Comment

Originally posted by Dale Moser View Post
                              Thanks guys.

I’m getting in the protein business shortly. I have some T-posts to drive 1st though.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                              I'm on year 5 or 6 using the Hammer and I now have 3 units and all are used year-round. Mike is great to deal with and the units have all been solid. Buy with confidence.

Comment

Originally posted by Arrow-Tek View Post
                                Your the protein junkie so what’s the reason for the question? I have several answers.
                                I don’t know what that means. ⬆️💁

I’m interested in what people think and why.

I thought it would be interesting conversation and someone might learn something different.

Comment

Working...
                                X