No announcement yet.

Buying Silver?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a silver bullet in .308. Wishing I had a case!

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
      I have a 30 lb sack of pre 1963 USA Quarters @ 97% pure silver

Some of these quarters go back into the 30s and 40s and are worn right out

A 500 dollar sack of quarters, based on the .25 currency with these quarters now running around 10 bucks per coin now

Not many piles of these quarters left - and I may sit on these coins for a long time too
      American silver coins are always preferred over bullion. They are 90% silver, easy to value to the common person. A walking half is worth about $13. I am vested in both coins and bullion.

Comment

Originally posted by AtTheWall View Post
        I have a 30 lb sack of pre 1963 USA Quarters @ 97% pure silver

Some of these quarters go back into the 30s and 40s and are worn right out

A 500 dollar sack of quarters, based on the .25 currency with these quarters now running around 10 bucks per coin now

Not many piles of these quarters left - and I may sit on these coins for a long time too
        Hey Rob. One of the guys here posted this site and it has been useful to me and it might be to you also. Select coin silver, type in the weight and it tells you what you are sitting on. I too have a few coins that are quite worn and nothing more than melt silver.

Comment

Originally posted by Tony Pic View Post
          Hey Rob. One of the guys here posted this site and it has been useful to me and it might be to you also. Select coin silver, type in the weight and it tells you what you are sitting on. I too have a few coins that are quite worn and nothing more than melt silver.
          https://www.usacoinbook.com/coin-mel.../silver-scrap/
          Thanks Tony - that will work!

Some of these old WWII Vintage silver quarters - I'm not letting them go. Just the thought of them in circulation - during that war. Lotta history there, some of our kin folk, long departed...may have coined a few of them?

Comment

I don't own any silver bullion/bars, and I am curious about a few things.

For those of you who actually own some, I have some questions related to selling it.

1.) Where would you go to sell it IF you wanted to sell?

2.) Assuming one can't sell it locally, small town, etc., how woud you ship it?

3.) How would the buyer know what % silver it contains?

4.) Would you ship it before getting paid?

Comment

[QUOTE=Burnadell;15485251]I don't own any silver bullion/bars, and I am curious about a few things.

For those of you who actually own some, I have some questions related to selling it.

1.) Where would you go to sell it IF you wanted to sell? There are numerous coin shops in town.

2.) Assuming one can't sell it locally, small town, etc., how woud you ship it? Insured carrier.

3.) How would the buyer know what % silver it contains? If it's coins that is simple. I believe bullion is stamped.

4.) Would you ship it before getting paid? Yes the big internet companies pay up and do not want to lose their reputation..............

Comment

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post

1.) Where would you go to sell it IF you wanted to sell? Ebay is the best

2.) Assuming one can't sell it locally, small town, etc., how woud you ship it? USPS, UPS

3.) How would the buyer know what % silver it contains? Coins= 90 %, buillion .999%

4.) Would you ship it before getting paid?
                TBH yes, ebay no

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                  TBH yes, ebay no
                  ???

Comment

[quote=Johnny Dangerr;15485307]

1.) Where would you go to sell it IF you wanted to sell? There are numerous coin shops in town.

2.) Assuming one can't sell it locally, small town, etc., how woud you ship it? Insured carrier.

3.) How would the buyer know what % silver it contains? If it's coins that is simple. I believe bullion is stamped.

4.) Would you ship it before getting paid? Yes the big internet companies pay up and do not want to lose their reputation..............

Johnny, thanks for those answers, but... 3.) stamped by whom? Anyone can make a stamp on a bar of metal. Suppose it had a coating/laminate of pure silver, but the inside contained some other non-ferrous metal. How would you know?

Comment

[quote=Burnadell;15485417]
                      Originally posted by Johnny Dangerr View Post

Johnny, thanks for those answers, but... 3.) stamped by whom? Anyone can make a stamp on a bar of metal. Suppose it had a coating/laminate of pure silver, but the inside contained some other non-ferrous metal. How would you know?
                      Randy I have always been a small coin person and have held bars with stamps. Somebody will fill in the blanks..............
                      Last edited by Johnny Dangerr; 02-21-2021, 03:14 PM.

Comment

The big dealers have ultrasound machines that can detect the density to see if it correlates with that of silver.

Comment

Originally posted by EmergencyDoc View Post
                          The big dealers have ultrasound machines that can detect the density to see if it correlates with that of silver.
                          Thanks, but that means you have to ship them the bars before getting paid unless there is a dealer in your town. How many days does this take, and what happens after you ship the metal if the price is dropping? How does one know what price they will receive...after they have given up control of the bars?

Comment

???
                            Burn, look at my answers inside the box. I don't know why the last two didn't make it inside. I can see why you are confused.

Comment

Originally posted by SabineHunter View Post
                              Burn, look at my answers inside the box. I don't know why the last two didn't make it inside. I can see why you are confused.
                              I see...but your answer to 3.) is not complete. If you sell it on Ebay, the buyer will take your word for it that the bullion is .999% pure without assaying it?

Comment

I see...but your answer to 3.) is not complete. If you sell it on Ebay, the buyer will take your word for it that the bullion is .999% pure without assaying it?
                                Caveat emptor in all things.

Comment

Working...
                                X