Pipe line right of ways

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pipe line right of ways

I have a right of way on our property that is approximately 300 yards long and maybe 50’ wide. Can I lightly disc this( or have it done) and put a food plot on it next year? Asking for a friend!

I would with out a doubt

Comment

I use to do it

Comment

We do on our place disc and plant

Comment

Do you know who owns the line? Should have pipeline markers.

I believe so long as you are not excavating, you can. May be safe and legal to call a One Call (TX811) Locate request to have any foreign utilities located and marked.

Typically most pipelines require around 48” of cover. Wouldn’t hurt to check.

I’d disc and seed it- that’s the final step of the restoration process on all pipelines.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Yes the actual pipeline is marked with signs.

Comment

Yes. Disc and plant all you want. I do it every year.

Comment

Yes. But if you plan to dig call before you dig.

Comment

I've done it several times. Only problem I've had is when mowing crew comes thru.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk

Comment

Thousands of miles of pipeline are farmed over on a commercial basis every year. No problems at all. I hit an Exxon pipeline with a plow a number of years ago. The contract said the oil company was responsible to maintain their line at 36” deep. It had worked its way up to just below the surface. I was chiseling 6” deep and when I hit it and it stalled out a 510 horsepower tractor. That night, the crew boss told me they were pumping unleaded gasoline through that line. Based on the scarring on the pipe, had I been plowing one inch deeper, I would’ve ripped the pipe in half. He told me my wife almost won the lottery that night. **** him and Exxon. To this day, I pick the plow up when passing over a pipe line.

Comment

Gas line locators are usually good friends to have. Call in a locate. Whoever is responsible for watching that line will call you quick. Too much money running through those lines for them to let anything happen to it. He can come check the depth on it for ya.

Comment

Originally posted by LivinADream View Post
                        I've done it several times. Only problem I've had is when mowing crew comes thru.

Sent from my SM-F721U using Tapatalk
                        Contact the gas company and you can get signs saying Maintained By Landowner to put up so they don’t mow your food plots.

Comment

Yes you can, but you can call 811 and get it located especially if you drill holes.

Comment

Yes but call 811 and have the company locate it and tell you the debth. Don't let them tell you you can't do it but at the same time there is no legal requirement for debth of a line. There are plenty of lines a couple inches down in very poor shape.

Calling 811 is cheap insurance and will not hinder any of your plans.

Sent from my SM-N986U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                              Contact the gas company and you can get signs saying Maintained By Landowner to put up so they don’t mow your food plots.
                              I guess I don’t need those on our lease as I’m the only fool who ever mows !

Power lines too !
                              Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                              X