Pool Water Question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pool Water Question

SO, we have a swim spa and things had been going fine for the first couple of months. Now, the water is cloudy and we can not get it to clear back up. We have tried chlorine, stabilizer, water clear products that are supposed to bind the smaller particles and filter better.... Still cloudy. Check with test strips several times a day as we add things and try to adjust where needs to be and still nothing. Cleaned the two filters by spraying out with hose and then soaking in a pool filter cleaner and then rinsing with water as well. Any other ideas? About to get a pump and drain the thing and start over.....

Take a sample to a pool supply company. Need to know how many gallons your pool is. It is very possible you have too many chemicals in the pool.

I had to much acid it mine one time and best thing was to drain 2/3 out and start over.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Have you check the Cyanuric Acid? High CYA will cause chlorine not to work and in turn leads to cloudy water.

Comment

Take a gatorade bottle full into your local pool place like Leslie's, etc and get it tested.

Comment

That’s happened to me a couple of times with our redneck (bright blue above ground) pool. At Walmart I found a bottle of stuff labeled clarifier. It’s worked for me each time.

Comment

As others said, take it to a pool store. I prefer Pincha Penny I’ve Leslie’s. They test the water manually as opposed to machine and have liquid chlorine.

If you continue to test on your own get you one of the Taylor testing kits. A lot more accurate than the strips. After doing it for a couple months I was able to do the tests in about 10 minutes. I plug all the numbers into the Orenda app and it tells you exactly what chemicals to add.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I don't think the pool places like Leslies give you good advice on taking care of your pool. I think they sell you stuff that you don't need.

I think you should read a website called troublefreepool.com order their test kit and measure your own pool chemistry. CYA is important like Perryr mentioned. It determines what your chlorine level needs to be at to be effective. Also measure your free chlorine and combined chlorine to determine if you need to shock your pool. Measure your PH and alkalinity.

The test strips are not accurate. I wouldn't use those at all. If you are just "adding" stuff like chlorine and stabilizer then you wont be able to keep your pool clear. If you add too much stabilizer then your chlorine won't be effective.

If you don't want to learn pool chemistry and learn how to keep it balanced then you may want to hire a pool company to come take care of it for you.
              Last edited by JTCowpoke; 08-27-2022, 10:53 AM.

Comment

Put in a PoolRx insert in your pump basket. Get a Taylor test kit with the reagents (much more accurate). Download the pool math app & plug in your numbers.

If lots of adjustments aren’t helping it may be low calcium hardness that’s pulling mineral out of your plaster. If using chlorine pucks your CYA might be too high to be working. If so you’ll have to drain about half your pool and start over. Switch to liquid chlorine if you do that. Liquid gold from pinch a penny is good stuff.

Comment

In Waco take a sample to Lake Air Pool on Franklin. They will tell you exactly what to do. Free of charge. And no pressure to buy chemicals from them.

Comment

Originally posted by CyTxCazador View Post
                    Put in a PoolRx insert in your pump basket. Get a Taylor test kit with the reagents (much more accurate). Download the pool math app & plug in your numbers.

If lots of adjustments aren’t helping it may be low calcium hardness that’s pulling mineral out of your plaster. If using chlorine pucks your CYA might be too high to be working. If so you’ll have to drain about half your pool and start over. Switch to liquid chlorine if you do that. Liquid gold from pinch a penny is good stuff.

^^^^^^
                    This, ever since I put a PoolRX, no more issues and my water is clear even after heavy raining.

Comment

Add 2 cups of muriatic acid to the water pour in slowly, if you don't see a difference repeat following day. It will clear it up.

Should add a cup or so every week.

Comment

Lots of solid advice given. Troublefreepools, diy test kit are key

This year when starting the pool up I fought cloudy water for a few weeks. Every chemical was dead on perfect. I finally found a broken filter distribution assembly allowing diatomaceous earth to recycle back into the pool, causing constant cloudiness.

Comment

So, drained 3/4 of the water out yesterday and refilled. Turned on all pumps on high to get water all mixed and moving. Used a test strip to check water about an hour later, then added chlorine. Let filter cycle run all night and checked again this morning. Chlorine was still really low, so added more. Checked again a couple hours later, again with filter cycle still running and was good. Water still cloudy and all other reference ranges are in the good/normal zone. Got some muratic acid, but not sure if need to add or not.

Comment

Shock it. Check ph for need of acid.

Comment

The Acid is what will clear up the water!!! Add 2 cups and wait 4 hours before adding more.

Comment

Working...
                              X