Live: Chaparral Nov 29-Dec 2

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jzoch View Post

Not much of a sunrise here this morning. Looks like a picked the wrong spot as of this moment. Deer all over my brush blind spot. They haven’t been there at all until this morning. That’s how it goes sometimes. Haha

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Still, a beautiful picture.

Comment

Originally posted by PYBUCK View Post
      Do you think the drought might have had something to do with reduced antler size? Huh, It seems to have everywhere else.
      I would imagine the drought hit them harder. There are no feeders.

Either way, the first archery hunt is not going to be a good representation of what’s out there.
      Last edited by JeffK; 12-02-2022, 10:29 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
        Maybe tpwd should put a 140 inch minuium on the chap.
        you think they'll hold still so I can measure?

How would you impose such a rule? What if someone shoots a 135", are they fined? They mandated the 13" rule because you can easily tell if he's outside the ears he's 13, how can you field judge a 140" deer?

Comment

5 hr drive and at home now. 15 minutes of light left I caught a shooter about 100 yds out making a scrape. So I took off his way closed to 45 yds and from the ground all I could see was his rump. Tried to ease into a different angle for a shot at vitals and at 23 yds he disappeared into the brush.
          Enjoyed myself and met some good folks. Good luck next week and if anyone is in Rosindo pasture I’ll share my intel.

Comment

It has been beyond dry around Catarina area for several years in a row, w/o supplemental feed & water it would be terrible.

Comment

Originally posted by OrangeBlood View Post
              you think they'll hold still so I can measure?

How would you impose such a rule? What if someone shoots a 135", are they fined? They mandated the 13" rule because you can easily tell if he's outside the ears he's 13, how can you field judge a 140" deer?
              longhorn big mad at a joke lol

i have to agree with mr public though, seems like its been a good while since big deer were turning up out there. i remember some nice pics from last year, but not sure i have seen anything close to a "booner" in a long time.

Comment

Originally posted by jshouse View Post
                longhorn big mad at a joke lol

i have to agree with mr public though, seems like its been a good while since big deer were turning up out there. i remember some nice pics from last year, but not sure i have seen anything close to a "booner" in a long time.

I think 2017 produced the last booner, which was a buck that the Chap staff had no clue about, no pictures, no helicopter observation, no visual sightings. So there is some hope that giants exist. Obviously this wasn’t the best year for antler growth.

It is not one of the best WMAs for a chance at a Booner in my book. Yes it provides good chances for a shot at a P&Y buck in comparison to many, but the harvest data over the last few years has not yielded many P&Y bucks taken on archery hunts.

Hopefully the 2nd archery hunters have the success to make me eat these words and Change my views.

Comment

Well yeah, the drought hammered that place. And the major rains in august made for exceptional range conditions. Those bucks don’t have to leave the brush to fill their bellies.
                  That 2nd buck that went 122 gross and broke both g2’s. If he had them, would have been in the 40’s.
                  Either way, what a place to hunt! It will humble you real quick and make you realize you aren’t the best bowhunter in the world haha! I had a blast hunting out there and hope to do it again soon in the future. Good luck to the next round

Comment

Did they get all the warthog down there?

Only been on the place once years ago to quail hunt

Comment

Originally posted by arrowsonly88 View Post
                      Well yeah, the drought hammered that place. And the major rains in august made for exceptional range conditions. Those bucks don’t have to leave the brush to fill their bellies.
                      That 2nd buck that went 122 gross and broke both g2’s. If he had them, would have been in the 40’s.
                      Either way, what a place to hunt! It will humble you real quick and make you realize you aren’t the best bowhunter in the world haha! I had a blast hunting out there and hope to do it again soon in the future. Good luck to the next round

Drought had an impact for sure and late rains definitely got the bucks body weight and fat content up. Was shocking for me skinning some bucks that had so much fat on them in October & November after that severe drought, which goes to show they sure don’t have to move much to fill their bellies making it I even harder to bait one in on an archery hunt.

I noticed the missing g2 buck would have definitely scored higher. It is a fun and challenging hunt and that’s what keeps my interest in it. You never know what kind of brush donkey may step out at 5yards[emoji51]

Comment

Originally posted by Jzoch View Post
                        Well we struck out fellas!! It was definitely a learning experience. Pretty cool to see it all come full circle.

Sorry you guys didn't get your trophy but what a great experience! Thankyou for sharing with us! Really building our excitement for the hunt with our kiddos!

Comment

Originally posted by Mr. Public View Post
                          Not to sound rude or create any hard feelings but the Chap has not produced enough to be considered an elite or premier WMA in my eyes any longer.

Was hoping for a lot more success for the first archery hunters, and looking forward to the 2nd archery hunters to have a good hunt.

Hmmm, we may be putting all our eggs in the Powderhorn basket next year...

Comment

Thanks guys for keeping this live and giving us updates. My group is headed down on Monday morning and I’ll keep it as live as possible on the below thread.

Comment

Yep place sucks for sure, please all the naysayers put in for different hunts next yr so my chances increase.

Comment

If it helps the debate, multiple 160-170” deer were seen on this hunt by other hunt parties. Both groups, I would trust their word after talking in depth with them. I guide part time and they seemed to be very knowledgeable.

However is Chap as good as it once was?

If you’re looking to see 10-20 deer eating hand corn on a sendero then this hunt isn’t for you. It can happen depending on the unit and the year but it’s not happening this year. This hunt will test your skills as a hunter. It’s a very challenging hunt, both physically and mentally. We put in the effort with 2 all day sits and hunted most of the day in between scouting and setting blinds the other days. It can definitely get to you mentally seeing one deer or no deer a day when you put in the effort, (scent control, playing the wind, minimal movement & sounds, scouting, etc.). But I would say that’s what makes this hunt so rewarding when you do finally connect with a STX brush country monster.

To answer the question, I don’t think we are in the glory days of the Chap right now. But it’s also unfair to say that with the year we are having. With no good early spring rain for antler growth and record breaking fall & winter rains to provide cover and natural browse these deer have no reason to travel during shooting hours, if at all. Antler growth and fawn survival rates are down because of this. That’s not to say Chap doesn’t still have some giants but that potential 170” is now a 150” deer this year.

I would 100% put in for this hunt again. I love the challenge. I love testing my skills as a Bowhunter, I love the possibilities of what could happen.

Good luck to those hunting the Chap the rest of this season. Hopefully it won’t take another 20+ years to hunt this awesome piece of ground again.

God Bless
                                Jared Zoch

Comment

Working...
                                X