No announcement yet.

High fence regulations

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’d leave it open and hunt the entrance.

Comment

Originally posted by steve morton View Post
      96 acres, 97% completed high fence now, not out of pocket, that's a no brainer.
      I'd have all the kids and grandkids on doe and cull duty.
      But to be clear, 0.9 miles of the high fence is a county road, and it’s the other side that’s high fenced. Kinda forces me to do the same on my side. Strangely I own that road to the middle of it. Another strange set of Texas laws.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
        When I was looking at buying a high fence breeding operation I thought I was told I could not trap the kings deer(native). I could be wrong.

The regulations were endless on the breeding stock.
        That’s my point for the whole thread. What are the rules? Where are they? I can’t find anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Tbar View Post
          When I was looking at buying a high fence breeding operation I thought I was told I could not trap the kings deer(native). I could be wrong.

The regulations were endless on the breeding stock.
          I was under the impression that you could trap one native buck and place him in a DMP pen with numerous doe for breeding for under a year but must be released prior to the next. Repeat the process with another trapped native buck year after year.

Comment

Originally posted by Bucknaked View Post
            OK, but that isn’t what this thread is about now is it?
            It wasn’t about wheat either.

Comment

No laws, you high fence them in their yours to the extent the states lets you hunt and manage. High fence materials per mile is around 20k on the cheap side. Labor about the same or a little less. If your in Rock it’s more. I would put the fence up and enjoy. Wouldn’t count on a small gap to provide much immigration of deer and gosh forbid you lose the few you have. I would be in the offense growing a confined herd and managing from there. Plus the bonus of adding a few exotics. Just my 2cents good luck.

Comment

Comment

Dmp has nothing to do with this situation. I manage a property and we currently have a dmp pen in place.

Comment

No regulations on a high fence. They need to finish the one along the rio grande too.

Comment

Originally posted by brokeno View Post
                      No regulations on a high fence. They need to finish the one along the rio grande too.
                      I approve this message.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        I approve this message.
                        Off topic, but yes. Fences work. Walls work. Doors work.

So I could probably finish the job for $50k ($20k fence, $20k labor and 3 gates). Or buy 5000 bags of corn (250,000 pounds). That’s 100 bags/year for 50 years. Maybe a large on-demand feeder at the entrance.

Maybe I’ll focus on low fence exotics.

Will also read up on DMP, even though it doesn’t directly address the issue here.

Thanks for advice.

Comment

Could you put a cattle/deer guard across the county road and save that fence cost along the county road? Let the fence on the other side of the road hold them in.

Comment

If land prices are at a premium you could just see if either neighbor wanted to buy your place since you’re boxed in now, then go buy a new place without high fence around

Comment

Originally posted by 60 Deluxe View Post
                              Those high fences can bite you in the rear. My neighbor across the road, whom is a good friend, put up about four miles of high fence with a four-foot barrier mat laid on the ground and staked down to keep coyotes out. This was done with the intention of raising sheep and goats, not anything to do with hunting. The dummy had a nice stand of wheat last fall. Mine failed and the neighbor to the east of me also lost his wheat. All of the deer migrated to the high fence ranch because of the easy food source. He finished hanging the gates about the time that nearly every deer in a couple mile radius was camped out on his place. This summer, the drought got really bad. He doesn't have anything for the livestock to eat, so they are mostly gone. He is having to feed the deer to keep them alive. I tease him often about his stupidity. A couple of months ago he offered to get several guys together on four wheelers late in the evening to push several dozen deer out and on to my place. I declined the offer. At the time, the only thing actually growing on my place was prickly pear and mesquite. There wasn't anything for the deer to eat. We got a little rain in October, so I went ahead and planted wheat. It's amazing how well it grows with a highly reduced deer population.
                              You do not SERIOUSLY believe that none of this was planned, do you?
                              High fence for sheep and goats???? And then he just happens to finish the fence once he sucked all of the neighboring deer in?
                              Now he wants to let some out ONLY because they are eating him out of house and home.. LOL

Comment

I think you should just finish off the HF. Hunting won't be all that interesting, but probably a good value add to your property, and you can put whatever you want out there to look at.

Comment

Working...
                                X