Scope mount position?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Scope mount position?

I’m putting a new scope on one of my rifles and to get the best field of view without scope shadow at the highest magnification, this is where the scope has to wind up. But that seems awfully close to the points that I’ve circled.

I’m almost thinking I might be better off with a Picatinny rail system so I can move the rings backward as needed, but maybe I’m overthinking it. What say the green screen brain trust?

Click image for larger version

Name:	8011A821-EFA2-4742-8F04-6FAD5B771CF2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.8 KB
ID:	25297497

Nothing wrong with where it is but not fond of single screw rings on a centerfire.

Comment

Originally posted by Old Bald Guy View Post
      Nothing wrong with where it is but not fond of single screw rings on a centerfire.
      Single screws? Are you talking about the receiver mount? If so there are two, one's just behind the red circle on the front.

Comment

Originally posted by Etxbuckman View Post
        Single screws? Are you talking about the receiver mount? If so there are two, one's just behind the red circle on the front.
        Rings as in I prefer 2 on each side of each ring. What brand are those?

Comment

Rings as in I prefer 2 on each side of each ring. What brand are those?
          Gotcha. These are DNZ Game Reapers. I heard a lot of good things about them, plus I liked the one-piece frame knowing it should, in theory, line up pretty darn straight.

Honestly I'm kinda wondering if I simply don't like the way this looks (and I don't LOL).

Comment

I just installed a rail last night on my M700 for this exact reason.

Comment

Gotcha. These are DNZ Game Reapers. I heard a lot of good things about them, plus I liked the one-piece frame knowing it should, in theory, line up pretty darn straight.

Honestly I'm kinda wondering if I simply don't like the way this looks (and I don't LOL).
              You won’ be able to go back much even with a rail mount.

Comment

Originally posted by tx_basser View Post
                I just installed a rail last night on my M700 for this exact reason.
                What rail mount and rings did you use? I'm not using this for long range shooting- 400 yards would be my longest shot- if that matters at all.

Comment

Zero issue with how they are currently.

If the esthetics aren’t quiet what you prefer, yes a rail would allow you to move the rings to a spot you would prefer.

Comment

Thanks guys! If I can’t stand it later then I’ll get a Picatinny rail, but I’m gonna go ahead and leave it alone for right now. The scope was a warranty from Zeiss since my last one was obviously defective, and I’m really ready to just get to shooting it.

Comment

Are you wanting to move the scope back further? So you have a better sight picture? Is that the problem?

Comment

What rail mount and rings did you use? I'm not using this for long range shooting- 400 yards would be my longest shot- if that matters at all.
                        I put on an EGW 0 degree rail and Monstrum rings off Amazon. Am able to move scope back enough for the needed eye relief position with my glasses

Comment

You won’ be able to go back much even with a rail mount.
                          With a rail you can put the rings wherever you want them.

Comment

Originally posted by captainsling View Post
                            With a rail you can put the rings wherever you want them.
                            You should probably look closely at the picture. Rail on that gun can only go back to slightly in front of the top of the bolt handle. Might be able to go an inch back with the ring.

Comment

I have a bunch where they can't move much

Comment

Working...
                              X