Weird day yesterday.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Weird day yesterday.

Went coyote calling yesterday. Had a few things happen that I hadn't seen before. First off I shot a coyote in the neck with my 22-250 and loaded it into the back of the truck. As I put it on the tailgate I heard something and felt the sleeve on my hoody get tight. The coyote had it in his mouth trying to bite me. So I got him out and shot him with my buddies .223 from 5 yards. Hit him in almost the exact same spot as the time before. You could actually see sunlight through its neck. Got to our next spot and the coyote was looking up at me. Shot it again.

Later we were calling a different spot and I had a coyote come in to my left at 45 yards. Shot it once with 3" #4 buckshot and he dropped. Then I saw his head lift up so I shot once more and it got up and spun. I shot again and he took off. My buddy watched him through his scope. The last he saw of him he was 400 yards running like he'd never been hit.

Fast forward to an hour later I shot another one in the neck with my 22-250. He looked dead when I picked him up but noticed he moved when I put it in the bed of the truck. So I went and got the .22 pistol to finish him off. When I pulled him towards me he flipped over and took off. His claws were slipping on the tailgate. He reminded me of Scooby Doo when he sees a monster and runs in place. He leaped off the bed of the truck and I shot him three times as his feet hit the ground.

I don't know if we got into some coyotes that were on PCP or what but they sure weren't wanting to give up the ghost. I will say that I'm not real impressed with those Winchester Varmint X 55 grain bullets. They blow them up bad and the coyote is bound to get up and run off even after it's been blown up.
    Last edited by okrattler; 11-13-2022, 01:57 PM.

My buddy had a bird land on his head while we were calling too. It hopped onto his shoulder and then finally decided to fly away. Never seen that before so even the birds were acting strange.

Comment

Didn't know peyote grew in Oklahoma...

Comment

That is odd.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
          Didn't know peyote grew in Oklahoma...
          They could have been on peyote I guess but I thought that just sent you into the spirit world. That's where they're at now so yeah maybe.

Comment

You went to Oklahoma City didn’t you.

Comment

You need a bigger gun….

Comment

If all you do is shoot stuff in the head those 55 grain Varmint X work great. Hit one at 73 yards right between the eyes. Both eyes launched out at a high rate of speed and his head was flat. That one didn't catch a second wind.

I don't recommend shooting deer with those unless you shoot them behind the ear.

Comment

Definitely methed up.

Comment

Originally posted by tps7742 View Post
                    You went to Oklahoma City didn’t you.
                    Lol Aint nothing worth shooting down there. Coyote wise I mean.

Comment

I see

Comment

Man, it appears the boys from Oklahoma don’t roll their joints all wrong. :-)

Comment

Hahaha

Comment

Originally posted by okrattler View Post
                            They could have been on peyote I guess but I thought that just sent you into the spirit world. That's where they're at now so yeah maybe.
                            I'm not sure he was suggesting it was "they" that were on the peyote. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by rolylane6 View Post
                              I'm not sure he was suggesting it was "they" that were on the peyote. [emoji848]

Sent from my SM-N970U using Tapatalk
                              I know i was being a smart aleck. It don't matter to me if people believe it or not. My best suggestion for any doubters is spend less time in front of a computer and grab a box of the bullets I used and have at it. Just figured I'd warn people of what I've experienced before they decided to load these up and have their kid shoot their first deer with them. But it'll give some tracking dog some exercise if they doubt it.

I didn't post it as a debate. I kill quite a few animals every year. Enough to know what a good bullet is and what ain't.

Winchester Varmint X bullets in 22-250 have their place. Just not shooting coyotes. They'd be great for exploding prairie dogs.
                              Last edited by okrattler; 11-13-2022, 04:47 PM.

Comment

Working...
                              X