Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Night Hunting with a bow. Have you done it?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Catdaddy View Post
    If the pigs are spooky with the light,...flip it on and off like lightning
    After about 30 seconds to a minute the will accept it for a shot.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk
    This is the best way imho. Rob the owner of sniper hawglights turned me onto it. I have shot a ton of big boars after dark using this method. I use my ears more than anything out there. Sounders are noisy coming in but a big boar is pretty slick. If I hear anything out of the ordinary like a rock or rustle I get ready. The big boars will often shake their ears before coming in. I also watch the ratcoons as they will often flee before a big boar comes in. They are great centuries. lol I like setting in the open on the ground on a chair so I can move if the wind shifts to get it right. I give them plenty of room to circle as the big ones will almost always circle and wind check the feeder. Feel free to PM me and I will share anything I know about it with you. Its addicting! The big ones are about as smart as any big buck out their but their weakness is their stomach. Also another piece of advice is never add anything diffrent to your food source before a hunt and stay away from the food source to keep from spreading scent. It will spook the big ones for sure. Use a camera and you can figure what time and access they are using to come in. They get on a pattern and this is a weakness.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Comment

I’ve killed more pigs at night than I have during daylight. Snyper hog light and no pin light. Lots of guys mess up and try to use a light on their sight too. But they get too bright and make it harder to see in the dim hog light. Hurts more than it helps

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Night Hunting with a bow. Have you done it?

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post
        I’ve killed more pigs at night than I have during daylight. Snyper hog light and no pin light. Lots of guys mess up and try to use a light on their sight too. But they get too bright and make it harder to see in the dim hog light. Hurts more than it helps

Interesting….Just the opposite here. I like the added sight pin light with the Sniper Light. With a rheostat I can adjust the brightness down a tad and I don’t have to guess where the pin ends. Definitely helps me more than it hurts

Last edited by Smart; 11-04-2022, 06:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Bones_Jones View Post
          Thank you all for the response. I guess I never considered using a hog light on a bow. I wouldn't have thought there way enough light to see through your peep/see your pins and I thought everything would have washed out if you did light up your pins. Seems like everyone is in consensus though. I'll have to get a mount and try out my hog light on my bow.

Just curious, has anyone ever ran across a thermal or NV scope for a bow or tried to adapt one to a bow? I wonder how well it would work or if people would even want/need to use one.
          I used to make a digital night vision scope. The first version I made was for my bow. The screen was pretty bright, but stalked up on a few at less than 20yds. Form was critical. ( my screen was larger and more visible than a normal nv or thermal screen )

I tried it using glasses with screens built into the lenses, but the wires were ( obviously ) a problem.

That particular set up is on a 45ACP at the moment ( that came with its own problems )

Comment

Originally posted by killerbee View Post
            This is the best way imho. Rob the owner of sniper hawglights turned me onto it. I have shot a ton of big boars after dark using this method. I use my ears more than anything out there. Sounders are noisy coming in but a big boar is pretty slick. If I hear anything out of the ordinary like a rock or rustle I get ready. The big boars will often shake their ears before coming in. I also watch the ratcoons as they will often flee before a big boar comes in. They are great centuries. lol I like setting in the open on the ground on a chair so I can move if the wind shifts to get it right. I give them plenty of room to circle as the big ones will almost always circle and wind check the feeder. Feel free to PM me and I will share anything I know about it with you. Its addicting! The big ones are about as smart as any big buck out their but their weakness is their stomach. Also another piece of advice is never add anything diffrent to your food source before a hunt and stay away from the food source to keep from spreading scent. It will spook the big ones for sure. Use a camera and you can figure what time and access they are using to come in. They get on a pattern and this is a weakness.

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

Yep. I was on a place where some other guys were hunting at night and they ( we ) were getting skunked regularly. I knew we were getting busted because they would circle the entire area before coming it. So I would just go from pig pipe or feeder checking them, then stalk after they came in. Killed a bunch like that.

Comment

It's amazing how much more you get away with at night the first time or two. You shoot at the hogs a couple of times though and they will wise up. Seeing your pins through your peep was a challenge for me at first though

Sent from my Pixel 4a (5G) using Tapatalk

Comment

I have not done it in a long time, but I loved to hunt pigs in the moon light in South Texas. Breck (Deerslayer - God rest his soul) is who taught me how and the setup my bow. I had a kisser button and a nose nock. We would corn all the roads on the ranch and then put a stalk on the pigs in the moon light. Once we had pigs working our way, we would step off the into the brush 15 yards and let them feed right into your setup. We would also tape up the entire dash so there was no bright lights shinning in the pickup as we glassed the roads. Man what a time! I miss Breck.

Comment

Originally posted by miket View Post
                  Yep. I was on a place where some other guys were hunting at night and they ( we ) were getting skunked regularly. I knew we were getting busted because they would circle the entire area before coming it. So I would just go from pig pipe or feeder checking them, then stalk after they came in. Killed a bunch like that.
                  Do you have any pictures of this set up? I'd love to see it.

Comment

Originally posted by JTeLarkin08 View Post

They make pin lights that can be bright or you can dial it down to just a slight glow. I have one on my bow.
                    I haven’t hunted at night in a while. Really no need to at my place cause the hogs usually show up way before dark. But I have killed a few at night using a blue light.
                    I do highly suggest before you go, practice at night on a black target. Shooting at a black hog at night is a lot different than in the daylight.

Comment

Originally posted by sqiggy View Post
                      They make pin lights that can be bright or you can dial it down to just a slight glow. I have one on my bow.
                      I haven’t hunted at night in a while. Really no need to at my place cause the hogs usually show up way before dark. But I have killed a few at night using a blue light.
                      I do highly suggest before you go, practice at night on a black target. Shooting at a black hog at night is a lot different than in the daylight.

I’ve had all the really good target quality lights on my hunting bow and with a red light none of them get dim enough for me.

Good to hear a couple of you like lights maybe i will try again. I just go on the silhouette of my pin

Comment

How does a guy drive, hold a spotlight and shoot a bow?

Sent from my U304AA using Tapatalk

Comment

Here is what my night target looks like. If you can shoot a black hog at night it makes the daylight shots easy!

Comment

Listen, stalk, listen, stalk, spot --- draw .... wait ... wait... shoot!

Now that's living! Especially when you hear them running towards you in waist high goat weed! And it is parting like the tall grass did on Jurassic Park when the velociraptors ran in!

Comment

Originally posted by Spearchunker View Post
                              I hear you can kill 274" deer doing that!!
                              Bawhahahaha!! (I know what you reference!)

Comment

I ended up getting a thermal reflex sight for around $2200 and mounting it to the bow with a lil bow peep mount. I was skeptical that it would be difficult to shoot with let alone sight it in, however, I figured a thermal sight would translate the best to what I was used to if it worked. I found that it was actually almost easier to shoot with than a pin sight because there is no need for a peep and wherever you place the crosshairs is where it will shoot. It also has 4x zoom so you can still easily see your point of aim from 40+ yards away. The zeroing process was quick and simple, and I was able to set different zeros for 20, 30 , and 40 yards. There was still some clunkiness to the system though because it is a sight designed for a rifle. I had to flip the sight upside down so the arrow would clear and still be able to get my zero on the screen. The combination of the unit and the mount is also fairly heavy, but it helped with balancing the bow some.

I took it out hunting for a few hours one night but was only able to stalk in to 70 yards on a couple hogs before the wind shifted on me. I wasn’t comfortable taking a shot that far with this new set up and in hindsight, sitting over a feeder is probably the better way to do it.

Just curious what you guys thought of this idea? I thought it was a little crazy going into it, but I’ll admit that it is quickly growing on me.
                                Attached Files

Comment

Working...
                                X