Alexa, Echo, or what?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chew View Post
    I don't think this reply is getting the street/web cred it deserves.

Team Little Debbie Pro Staff
    I ain’t saying nothing. But I plan on using it in the future.

Comment

For those of you who actually own/have owned one, thank you for your input.

Originally posted by Burnadell View Post
      Fulmer, I don't think we have ever met. Let's keep it that way.
      I forgot to add the smiley emoji...kind of.

Originally posted by GARY View Post
      I would never advise anyone to have such an invasive device in their home
      Did you forget to add the smiley emoji, boss? Do you actually have one?

Originally posted by Tom View Post
      I did not think you were being difficult. From reading those articles, but I have already done my own research. I was wanting info for people who have actually owned one. I may get flooded with ads if I order something from Alexa. Heck, I get flooded with ads already, and I don't intend to use the Echo (if I get it) for ordering things. As I mentioned, I don't see how the type of questions I would most likely ask would generate ads...but then, some would say I am a doofus. If someone is worried about getting flooded with ads, why do they order from Amazon or any online site.

Have you actually owned one, Tom?

Comment

For those of you who actually own/have owned one, thank you for your input.

I forgot to add the smiley emoji...kind of.

Did you forget to add the smiley emoji, boss? Do you actually have one?

I did not think you were being difficult. From reading those articles, but I have already done my own research. I was wanting info for people who have actually owned one. I may get flooded with ads if I order something from Alexa. Heck, I get flooded with ads already, and I don't intend to use the Echo (if I get it) for ordering things. As I mentioned, I don't see how the type of questions I would most likely ask would generate ads...but then, some would say I am a doofus. If someone is worried about getting flooded with ads, why do they order from Amazon or any online site.

Have you actually owned one, Tom?
        I have not owned one but do know people that have and you mentioned that you would ask "how many miles to Albuquerque" and I believe you would then be getting adds on hotel deals there. I do believe this happens. But I also believe that you should check it out and if it works for you it is all good. I may get one and ask for best hunting spots in Hagerman!! you never know.

Comment

i have several. in addition to some of the features listed above, you can also load skills (like apps) to play games. we have a trivia game. has lots of cool things it can do but where i get the most use from mine, you can use the alexa app on your cell to manipulate the dots. i can be at work and play music, drop in, set alarms, adjust the volumes etc.. to make sure my teenagers get up for school.

funny story, if you have a fire tv it has alexa built into it already. and if your daughter takes said TV to the dorm in Lubbock and keeps it on your same account. you can do the same from 7 hrs away. she was not answering a call from Mom to get to cheer practice at 6am. i was able to select some music on her TV, and turn it up for "apparently" the entire dorm to hear. she wasnt late though.

the other is the shopping list like mentioned above. you can open the fridge tell alexa you need milk added to your list. then in the store open the app and it lists everything.

we raise chickens for the county fair. i have a camera in the coop, an echo and several smart outlets. from work i can see the camera, play sounds/music, and have alexa turn on/off heat lamps, fan, AC etc...

but ya it listens all the time. just like your cell phone. several of these over the years
          https://www.engadget.com/2019-11-02-...rder-case.html

i honestly think once all the kids are gone we will probably just keep one in the kitchen for music, quick searches, timers etc...

Comment

So you didn't read my second paragraph, did you?
            :
            I read it-still pass

Comment

We have and have had several different models. They are a nice convenience. If you have Prime or Amazon music you can ask it to play music, "play country music" or "play George Strait.". The Echo cost more than the dot but the sound quality is much better. Also, as mentioned Amazon Prime days are when you can get the best deals, usually close to 50% off. We also use for occasional fact checking, calculator and dictionary.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

Comment

I thought Alexa was the coolest thing ever when my brother bought me one. Added a couple dots to the house. Then....things I never looked at online, but had spoken about while in the house, started appearing on my social media. Then, she started talking when not asked anything. Then, the nail in the coffin for her was when I walked in my bedroom and the dang dot's blue light started spinning without me saying anything. Coincidence...maybe. But all the Alexa items in the house went straight in the trash right then. She's creepy!

Comment

What does that mean, "talking to the room"???
                  Go ahead and get it fella.

You might find out why some of us are against it. I had Alexa respond to the wife and I’s argument and I put it in the microwave !

Comment

Echo is the brand and Alexa is the assistant name, but you can change it one of the three they offer.

My wife and I have one in every room of the house ie. bedrooms (for the dogs) , kitchen, laundry room (so the cat can listen to KSBJ while we are at work) and even the cars. We love it. We use it to turn on and off the lights, listen to music, set timers, drop the thermostat, turn on the alarm system, as an alarm clock, locate the Roomba or dock it, run the appliances, and even close the garage door.

I even saw you can get a smart microwave to run off it.

I think you will enjoy it, but like others said if you're not in rush they do put them on sale for cheap.

Comment

Many of the incidences being mentioned are due to settings in the Alexa app. Somehow my phone became paired by Bluetooth with one of ours recently (pretty sure I remember doing that) and it would do some of the things mentioned. I unpaired and things are back to normal. You really need to understand what is being agreed to in the app.

Comment

We have an Alexa. I didn't know how lazy I was until we invited her into our home.

Alexa, what will the weather be like today?

Alexa, why do I torture myself watching the Cowboys?

Alexa, Play some good music so I can post on TBH.

Alexa, what was the last thing I said that made someone mad. (She never has that answer.)

I enjoy the option of asking the lady in the coaster questions. If we have nothing going on on the weekend. Ask Alexa, what are things going on near me. I've found farmers markets I had no idea about. Shows, movies, festivals. You name it.

I know I can do all that with my phone. However, I rather double fist moonpies with my hands.

Comment

Originally posted by megger89 View Post
                          Echo is the brand and Alexa is the assistant name, but you can change it one of the three they offer.

My wife and I have one in every room of the house ie. bedrooms (for the dogs) , kitchen, laundry room (so the cat can listen to KSBJ while we are at work) and even the cars. We love it. We use it to turn on and off the lights, listen to music, set timers, drop the thermostat, turn on the alarm system, as an alarm clock, locate the Roomba or dock it, run the appliances, and even close the garage door.

I even saw you can get a smart microwave to run off it.

I think you will enjoy it, but like others said if you're not in rush they do put them on sale for cheap.
                          I need Alexa NOW!!!! Didn’t know what me and my animals were missing

Comment

Originally posted by Mary View Post
                            I thought Alexa was the coolest thing ever when my brother bought me one. Added a couple dots to the house. Then....things I never looked at online, but had spoken about while in the house, started appearing on my social media. Then, she started talking when not asked anything. Then, the nail in the coffin for her was when I walked in my bedroom and the dang dot's blue light started spinning without me saying anything. Coincidence...maybe. But all the Alexa items in the house went straight in the trash right then. She's creepy!

This was my sister and BIL's experience as well. About all they really used her for was the thermostat controls but when they started seeing ads on social media for stuff they just "talked about" they gave her the ole Heisman!!

Randy, we have the Tuya Smart plugs throughout the house. Great, user friendly app. We even have our smoke-carbon monoxide alarms monitored through it. Our thermostats were already wireless.

Sounds like you might really want the "research" function of these devices just so you don't have to crank up the ole Googler. I can't relate...since this internet thing really isn't that hard for this OLD GEEZER! [emoji12]

Comment

I'll add my 2 cents as it seems the OP question has really been answered.....

We have the big one in the living room; better sound quality for music. We have little ones all over; one connected to the garage stereo that plays music outside near the pool; will also control the pool pump, cleaner and lights. Helpful when doing yard work and you don't want to fish out your phone to turn on those via the app.
                              We also have our kids lights connected to them upstairs because it's easier to turn them off with voice control when they leave them on.

Your phone spies on you WAY more. It's with you all the time and directly aware of what you're looking at/for. And I find it ironic that at least one post says "Alexa is a spy.......Sent from my iphone."

Facebook is still the king of spying ---- gets into your emails and finds those people. I never gave it permission to get into my email. (Sorry, I rant.)

Comment

Originally posted by JunxMan View Post
                                I'll add my 2 cents as it seems the OP question has really been answered.....

Your phone spies on you WAY more. It's with you all the time and directly aware of what you're looking at/for. And I find it ironic that at least one post says "Alexa is a spy.......Sent from my iphone."

Facebook is still the king of spying ---- gets into your emails and finds those people. I never gave it permission to get into my email. (Sorry, I rant.)
                                Yep

Comment

Working...
                                X