No announcement yet.

LIVE: Gus Engeling

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I’ve hunted freestone county most of my life and the rut is anywhere from October 15-31 most years. I’m starting to see signs but the weather the last few days has been weird. It looks like it will peak early next week

Comment

Good luck scouting And for reals hunting where no one else has ever ever been

Comment

Originally posted by Buck Shot View Post
        I’ve hunted freestone county most of my life and the rut is anywhere from October 15-31 most years. I’m starting to see signs but the weather the last few days has been weird. It looks like it will peak early next week
        I've talked to some old timers in a few counties not far from there, Williamson and Navarro, and they seem to always say peak rut is around December 1. Who knows but that would be a wide difference in the same general region.

Comment

Originally posted by SC-001 View Post
          I've talked to some old timers in a few counties not far from there, Williamson and Navarro, and they seem to always say peak rut is around December 1. Who knows but that would be a wide difference in the same general region.
          LOL, Williamson County is 120 miles away from here............

Comment

I live in Navarro County, just 20 miles from where I hunt. It’s definitely not in December

Comment

Maybe this front will get things going

Comment

Good luck

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I suspect they are seeing the "2nd rut" or the ones that did not get bred or cycle the main rut

Comment

I don’t know year to year but our property is very close to Gus & several years ago I was bow hunting our place the day after Thanksgiving & got settled in early that morning
                    A few minutes later something came trotting through right in front of me. Couldn’t tell at first thinking maybe a yote
                    Then a second one passed through same path then followed with a 3rd which he was grunting with nose to the ground
                    Realized then two bucks following hard on a doe
                    It was still dark at that point
                    20 minutes later the doe came running back through out of a pine thicket & small buck picked up behind & all of a sudden big boy came tearing out after her from same pine thicket
                    Biggest buck I’ve ever seen on our place
                    I bet he was pushing 150-160s

Comment

Well, this year was the year I wasted my points. Windy, dry, and work did me in.
                      My woodwork orders played heavily on my mind and after 3 days of seeing jack didly, I called it quits and headed home to make some dough.

Gus is definitely a different animal and I would love to try again on a less windy go round.
                      This was my first time hunting in high winds. Lesson learned, pick people's brains on how to hunt in it. 3 cameras out and zero pictures of deer on them as well.

Comment

Man, thats no bueno. I knew the wind was going to make it really tough on yall.

Comment

Yea and maybe next year, don't throw all your fellow hunters under the bus just because some hunt different than you do. A lot of us who grew up in East Texas could have probably given you some advice with a few questions asked, but since so many of us are not hunters according to you and the fact that you called overcup acorns old and dried out didn't lend a lot of credibility to your approach nor encourage help from others of us that grew up in those woods.

Comment

lets party

Comment

I've had great luck at Gus. Got a big 10pt a few years ago. Always saw lots of deer.

Comment

I think only a spike was check in at the check station, so don’t feel so bad. It just wasn’t a great hunt.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Working...
                                X