Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Better this year than last

Comment

On my home place here in north Cherokee county I haven’t even got a buck yet on camera. Last fall/ winter I had 3-4 nothing of any great size all were younger bucks. I mainly run camera for hogs & predators but catch the same does on camera as they are regular feeders
      As much as I feed I would think I would catch at least one on camera

Comment

We are in one of the worst droughts I’ve ever seen. This one is right up next to the horrible drought of 2011.
        We have only had a couple rains since the first of last November 2021.

From what I’m seeing some bucks are about 1.5 months behind on the growth stage compared to the last 10 years. It’s been hard even recognizing some so far.

There’s still some bucks doing well but there are also some that appears to have been stunted. We are feeding as much as we can to help out.

We had a super active rut and our bucks came out of February skin and bones add in the zero rain and our pasture was in bad shape.

Finally got a rain in May and got some Mesquites and browse to bloom…Thank Goodness. Still no Forbes or anything on the ground but the body weights are looking good considering. That was my main concern!!!

Our bucks typically lose velvet that 1st and 2nd week of September. I’m betting they’ll grow longer well into September this year and may see more velvet bucks during bow season. Of course I could be wrong and they may rub out the exact same time again. Lol

I see and learn new stuff every year. The white tail deer amaze me.

Comment

Originally posted by Bone Thug View Post
          We are in one of the worst droughts I’ve ever seen. This one is right up next to the horrible drought of 2011.
          We have only had a couple rains since the first of last November 2021.

From what I’m seeing some bucks are about 1.5 months behind on the growth stage compared to the last 10 years. It’s been hard even recognizing some so far.

There’s still some bucks doing well but there are also some that appears to have been stunted. We are feeding as much as we can to help out.

We had a super active rut and our bucks came out of February skin and bones add in the zero rain and our pasture was in bad shape.

Finally got a rain in May and got some Mesquites and browse to bloom…Thank Goodness. Still no Forbes or anything on the ground but the body weights are looking good considering. That was my main concern!!!

Our bucks typically lose velvet that 1st and 2nd week of September. I’m betting they’ll grow longer well into September this year and may see more velvet bucks during bow season. Of course I could be wrong and they may rub out the exact same time again. Lol

I see and learn new stuff every year. The white tail deer amaze me.
          All good points. I am seeing much of the same.

Comment

We’re behind on any stand out bucks for sure. At least what I’m seeing on my cameras. Fed as hard or harder this year with pellets, CS and corn as well. I’m hoping it’s just a later start but I’d say we’re a month behind compared to the last three years. Still being positive some of the bucks do blow up.
            Last edited by Texashookset; 07-24-2022, 09:01 AM.

Comment

Looks like the ones around me are finishing up.

Comment

Ours have rebounded from the great freeze that put a hurting on them last season. What i am noticing is the bucks seem to be the same as two years ago across the board, like age is not helping them. Even the small fork horns are still just that. No protein.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                  X2
                  X3
                  The OP commented on a different protein this season. I don't know that DD is any better ,but from my observations, everywhere I have fed it they just eat more. I think the taste ingredients being peanut based compared to alfalfa based helps them eat more of it.

Comment

I would say bucks on my place are not as good, on average, as most years.

Comment

We have some almost finished growing, some look like they have 2 months left.

Comment

Originally posted by Gumbo Man View Post
                        There are no monsters in ET.
                        Well, there are but they aren’t Deerz!

Comment

Originally posted by LuckyCards2006 View Post
                          We have some almost finished growing, some look like they have 2 months left.

This dude almost done.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Working...
                          X