Snake Bite?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Snake Bite?

My lab looks like she got bit by something. Punctures are about an inch apart. I shaved the area and marked the two punctures to monitor swelling. She’ll prob lick them off. She’s not limping or favoring the leg in anyway. Can’t tell any swelling happening. Not sure when it happened I was at the ranch this weekend. Just noticed when she jumped up in my lap when I got home. We live just on top of lake grapevine in flower mound and I’ve seen a couple of copper heads so could be a snake bite. I’ve never had a dog bit so just making assumption. Vet seemed to think it could be a dry bite when I called them. Dog would be visible hurting if envenomated. Just curious if anyone has had experience and any sage advice to offer.
    Attached Files

Agree...dry bite.

Comment

Praying for your Girl for a speedy recovery! but just out of curiosity has she ever been to a snake avoidance Class. ?

Comment

No swelling. Dry bite was my first thought too.

Comment

Looks like the skin is starting to slough adjacent to the fang marks or is that not what I’m seeing ?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
            Looks like the skin is starting to slough adjacent to the fang marks or is that not what I’m seeing ?
            The bite is on her elbow so not sure if it’s sloughing skin or what an elbow looks like with hair removed. Leaning towards the later. So far no swelling or favoring the leg at all. Fortunate looks to be a dry bite and she wont have any issues other than the pain that bite felt like.

Comment

Sure looks like it. Can't believe it didn't inject at least a little venom though. It don't take much before you notice. Got lucky on that.

Comment

Snake Bite?

I’d loosen the collar either way as if there is swelling they aren’t choked while it works through it.

Comment

I agree on dry bite, but if the punctures are an inch apart it's not a copperhead.

Comment

Warm her up some old bacon grease if you have some.

Comment

Originally posted by Dirt_Dance View Post
                      The bite is on her elbow so not sure if it’s sloughing skin or what an elbow looks like with hair removed. Leaning towards the later. So far no swelling or favoring the leg at all. Fortunate looks to be a dry bite and she wont have any issues other than the pain that bite felt like.
                      In that case probably calluses. Glad it’s no worse than what it seems.

Comment

Originally posted by flyby View Post
                        I agree on dry bite, but if the punctures are an inch apart it's not a copperhead.
                        This.

Comment

Originally posted by bmac View Post
                          I’d loosen the collar either way as if there is swelling they aren’t choked while it works through it.
                          Thank you. Removing now

Comment

Working...
                          X