Laguna Atascosa 2020

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
    Tubeless with slime is what I’m going for.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    I'd be interested to see how that turns out. fat tire ? That is what I have on my Ebike.

If you have to patch a tire on the trail, how do you get the tire to seal to the rim? C02 cartridge? I am all for keeping it simple. this flat preventive stuff adds up in cost.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntindad View Post
      Why do you want tubeless? Are they better? I am gonna put tire liners in mine. Hopefully, if something pokes thru the tire the liner will stop it. If not I will have the military grade slime in the tube.

I had liners last year and it was a joke. Didn’t do a thing to stop the mesquite thorns. Tubeless is the way to go.

Comment

How tall is the grass out there this year?

Comment

Originally posted by reaganandkristy View Post
          So its me and my 11 year old son, possibly my 12 year old daughter - we were all on the application. First ever hunt here, but not our first Nilgai hunt. I've read a lot of your posts and others and it seems that even though there are 200 permits per hunt, there is a decent success rate. Any advice for a dad and his younger kids on this hunt? How often are hunters on top of each other?

There are a lot of rattlesnakes here. Be very careful with kids

Comment

Originally posted by reaganandkristy View Post
            So its me and my 11 year old son, possibly my 12 year old daughter - we were all on the application. First ever hunt here, but not our first Nilgai hunt. I've read a lot of your posts and others and it seems that even though there are 200 permits per hunt, there is a decent success rate. Any advice for a dad and his younger kids on this hunt? How often are hunters on top of each other?
            I personally wouldn't take my kids on this hunt. Its a long hike in and like GBludau said the success rates are very low. If you're in a blind over a feeder then sure by all means. I couldn't imagine keeping my 10 yr old son quiet and still for an all day hunt over the course of a few days. He would surely get bored.

Comment

If I had kids I'd bring them -- rattlesnakes, swarming killer bees, swirling gators, attacking pumas, ravenous ocelots, raging boars, blood sucking insects -- if they survive there will be some legendary tales to be told.

I'd not 100% focus on actually hunting per say, more about the opportunity / adventure if you are bringing them.

You would need to go slower/keep a watchful eye but overall if you did I think the truck ride to the place is more dangerous than actually getting into the muck.
              If you wanted to bring them and are 100% focused on hunting then yeah it would be bad for both you and the kids (think this is true for all hunting events) -- if that is the case, sure leave them at home.

Everything you do each day has risk, if you leave them at home, there is a dozen things they can do, or others to them, while you are gone that would end just as badly, arguably with higher probability. We don't know the future.

Comment

I think it depends on the kids. If they aren’t accustomed to low success rates, dealing with mosquitoes & chiggers, and watching where they step, it could be a mistake to bring them. I brought my boys (10&12 now 11&13) last year and theyre very excited to go back and get a shot at the big blue bulls they saw. Unfortunately we’re on a streak of three hunts without drawing blood but that does have the benefit of managing their expectations. Its not like they’re going from sitting a feeder to something totally different. Of course bringing kids will limit how hard you can go but as a father that’s part of the game! As said above the hunt is secondary to the rest of the experience.
                We’ll be there for the mid November hunt and nothing gets a pass this year!

Comment

Who will all be there for the 13-17th Hunt??

Comment

Originally posted by RichExotics10 View Post
                    Who will all be there for the 13-17th Hunt??
                    I'll be there for that hunt.

Comment

My Dad began taking me to the Aransas Wildlife Refuge for that Archery hunt when I was ten. Went through all kinds of stuff. Deep water, snakes, gator-infested waters, etc. He would put me in a tree with a whistle/bow and he would go hunt. LOL. Some kids can handle this stuff. By the time I was 12 or 13 I was good to hunt on my own. We always split up. Been lost a few times out there as well. Reaganandkristy.....I would at least take one of them.

Comment

Originally posted by CentralTXHunter View Post
                        Tubeless with slime is what I’m going for.

Doesn't that Sherpa cart come with "Flat-Free Wheels"?

Comment

Originally posted by Benson View Post
                          Doesn't that Sherpa cart come with "Flat-Free Wheels"?

It does. I’m talking about for my bike though.

Comment

Originally posted by Falling View Post
                            How tall is the grass out there this year?
                            Hurricane Hanna brought a lot of water. Everything is lush green around here as we have had many sunny days since. Aside from Hanna, we have had lots of rain and sun. So yes the grass is tall. Mosquitos are bad too because of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Benson View Post
                              Hurricane Hanna brought a lot of water. Everything is lush green around here as we have had many sunny days since. Aside from Hanna, we have had lots of rain and sun. So yes the grass is tall. Mosquitos are bad too because of it.

You aren’t joking. We’ve gotten more rain this year down here than any year in recent memory. And yes, everything is very green and the mosquitoes are horrible. So plan accordingly.

Comment

With it being real green, would the Nilgai be more inclined to feed out in the open grassy areas?

Comment

Working...
                                X