Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
    My wife thinks I am personally!

I just love discussing this stuff - fascinating.

I am blessed to be on one of the best LF ranches in Texas for many years - I read studies all the time and this one is from the best of the best. It bumps up against what we have done with wonderful results so naturally I have questions.

Do you guys cull on your Mexico ranch? Just curious
    Our HF pasture yes we do, and hard because it's a controlled environment that can be altered. Our LF pasture we kill nothing under 5 because I want to see the true potential of each animal before I make that decision . Heck we have a 5 yr old 4 point lmao! I just kept letting him roll but his time is up.

Comment

Just to be fair, does carry half the genetics in your herd. How do you cull them ?

Comment

Originally posted by Drycreek3189 View Post
        Just to be fair, does carry half the genetics in your herd. How do you cull them ?
        You keep the pretty 1s.

Comment

Glad to see a civil discussion.

FWIW I think does should be culled on body size.
          Larger ones left regardless of age. I like to shoot big bodied bucks.

Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Coyote Canyon View Post
            You keep the pretty 1s.
            Theys all pretty to me, especially on a plate, chicken fried if you please

Comment

The little 200 acre dirt patch ranch next to the 4500 acre ranch I run kills every deer that is an 8 point no matter how old because they believe they can manage “their herd to ensure trophy deer that way” drives me nuts since most of the 8 points are 2-3 yr olds and live at my house most of the year. So besides them being my pet deer I try to tell them they don’t have enough land to manage in the first place and showing up one weekend before opening weekend to fill feeders then tagging out on young good bucks and young healthy does is not the way to manage anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Huntingfool View Post
                Interesting - I know Donnie from the Comanche and he is good as they get.

Seems to me something not mentioned in this video/study is the fact that culling mouths (doe or sub par bucks) leaves more of the browse/supplemental feed for the remaining deer to consume which in turn enhances their growth.

The question not answered for me is this - if you are on a ranch with superior genetics/management/browse and you have an 8 point buck you have watched for 4 years. He is a basic 8 point and most of your bucks are 10 points up to 20 points. Even though (as the study states) that 8 point could have some better genes in him that what he is showing if you are going to thin your herd to keep the population/mouths down would you not want to cull that 8 point as opposed to culling bigger deer?

Yep seems like folks take some of this info and think it’s a good idea to let culls run around for years eating and breeding a couple does a year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post
                  Our HF pasture yes we do, and hard because it's a controlled environment that can be altered. Our LF pasture we kill nothing under 5 because I want to see the true potential of each animal before I make that decision . Heck we have a 5 yr old 4 point lmao! I just kept letting him roll but his time is up.
                  A (5) yr old 4 pt is a trophy. We killed a 4 pt years ago that was 24”s wide and 6.5. My daughter is going to chase a Big 6 pt this year that will score in the 120’s. He’s 6 or 7 this year. I like trophy culls as much as I do trophy monsters.

Comment

Originally posted by Mexico View Post

This study was done in a “controlled” high fence pasture, a couple of different ones. The video you posted barely scratches the surface on the study that was conducted. It’s a real eye opener for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by txwhitetail View Post
                      Yep seems like folks take some of this info and think it’s a good idea to let culls run around for years eating and breeding a couple does a year...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
                      It’s certainly not going to hurt, and shooting them is not going to change anything as far as genetics are concerned.

Comment

Kill em all 😜

Comment

Originally posted by Hoss163 View Post
                          Kill em all ��
                          Hear hear!! specially if they are spikes, kill them until they are dead and twice on Sunday...
                          Last edited by Pedernal; 09-02-2019, 01:13 AM.

Comment

The danger of good science is always bad interpretation of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Mike M View Post
                              A (5) yr old 4 pt is a trophy. We killed a 4 pt years ago that was 24”s wide and 6.5. My daughter is going to chase a Big 6 pt this year that will score in the 120’s. He’s 6 or 7 this year. I like trophy culls as much as I do trophy monsters.
                              Lol... he's a cool buck, I'm just tired of feeding him. He lives at the feeder pen.

Comment

Originally posted by jason86 View Post
                                It’s certainly not going to hurt, and shooting them is not going to change anything as far as genetics are concerned.
                                100 percent spot on. I just get tired of feeding them, and the kids/ guest like shooting them so it's a win win.

Comment

Working...
                                X