Canon Lens Recommendation.....

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Canon Lens Recommendation.....

Picked up a Canon 80D, came with 2 lens for the kit.

Looking at getting a bigger lens in the range or max magnification of 400.

Tamron
    Sigma
    Used/ Canon

A few different lens brands that I am looking into. Anybody have recommendations for good lens for wildlife?

How much are you looking to spend?

Comment

Originally posted by Stickslinger92 View Post
      How much are you looking to spend?
      Looking to around $600 mark. Puts me out for the canon lens, but have seen some used ones in this price mark.

Comment

You could get the canon 400 f/5.6 IS or the canon 300 f/4 IS. Both are L lenses and used should be at $600 or less.

These were taken with the 300 f/4

Texas Grey Fox by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Black Buck by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

20190119-Glen Rose_5O3A4205.jpg by Chris Jeans, on Flickr

Comment

A 300mm will net you a 450mm equivalent FOV with you camera so that's something to keep in mind, might help get you where you want to be for less cash.

Good thing about Canon is they have some killer wildlife length lenses with a bit slower apertures that will work great and wont break the bank unlike...well..every other manufacturer. Lol

Tamron and Sigma both make awesome lenses, I have been completely impressed by the ones I have used. You can usually find both the older gen Sigma and Tamron 150-600s for around $700-800 bucks. Both awesome wildlife lenses although the older gen Tamron is a bit of a dust vaccuum

Dont be afraid of good condition used glass, you can almost always resell it for what you paid for it so long as condition is the same.

Lensrentals.com is your friend too, rent a few different teles and try before you buy
          Last edited by Jspradley; 08-14-2019, 01:48 PM.

Comment

I’m running a tamron 70-200 f2.8 on my 80D and love it! It does not have IS, but I only use it outdoors and have no issues getting crisp images with the shutter speed dialed up.

Comment

Originally posted by oneisnone View Post
              I’m running a tamron 70-200 f2.8 on my 80D and love it! It does not have IS, but I only use it outdoors and have no issues getting crisp images with the shutter speed dialed up.
              The G1 doesnt have IS? Surprising, I have the G2 and it's an absolutely amazing lens. Same glass as the G1 I believe

Comment

If you can find a used Canon 100-400 IS, you can probably be around the 600-750 mark and have yourself a very fine lens.

Comment

Tamron 150-600mm can be had for that price range

Comment

Working...
                  X