Axis burgers/sausage questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Axis burgers/sausage questions

I've processed several of my own whitetail over the years and would basically just save the backstraps and tenderloins then grind everything else up for burger meat. For whitetail burgers, I like doing 50/50 venison to ground beef. I also want to try my hand at pan sausage. I've never killed an axis, but I might be trying to in the next few weeks.
    How different is axis verses whitetail in regards to how you prepare it? Is taste the only difference? Would I still mix it the same way or is it even necessary to mix with beef/pork to make burgers/sausage? Do you mix it with beef for burgers and pork for sausage or does it matter? What sausage seasoning do you prefer? Any other general axis processing and/or sausage making tips would be appreciated. Thanks.

ttt

Comment

Not sure on axis but I make pan sausage every year. Mix 20-25% pork butt in with venison. Comes out perfect every time. For seasoning I usually go with Hi Mountain Seasonings mix. Keeps it nice and simple.

Comment

I just order a bunch on seasoning and mix from Cajun Blake on here. PM him.

Comment

We mix our axis with 20% bacon and it makes awesome hamburgers

Don’t waste axis on sausage!

Comment

Originally posted by ClayW View Post
            We mix our axis with 20% bacon and it makes awesome hamburgers

Don’t waste axis on sausage!

That sounds delicious. Thanks for the tip.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

^this. Imo you hardly need to cut axis with anything it’s so good compared to venison. I also prefer venison 50/50 beef

Edit - clays comment

Comment

Meat church seasonings are great as well.

Comment

Wouldn’t waste it on sausage. I’ve done burger meat just like white tail by adding in beef fat at a rate of about 15-20% The Bacon ends and pieces is good too, however in my opinion it is only good for burgers and not so much in other ground meat dishes

Comment

I do straight axis meat for burgers. No beef or anything added. They taste great. I’d save whitetail for sausage. Straight grind axis for burger and keep back straps. We only eat ground axis. Haven’t bought ground beef in idk how long.

Comment

Our mix is 50/50 for all WT or Axis, we cut with pork.

Comment

I shoot 1-2 axis a year just for ground meat, always just added 10% beef tallow to it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Axis can be a little dry, the same as fallow or Nilgai. I always mix 10% beef tallow with axis, fallow or nilgai. I also do not use much seasoning with these.

I do not think bacon or brisket is needed to for flavor on axis or nilgai, the meat tastes very good without all that. Whitetail, mule deer or pronghorn might need a little extra something though.
                          Last edited by Radar; 07-07-2020, 08:08 PM.

Comment

We mix 50/50 for pan sausage. For hamburger we do 10% Tallow.

Comment

Originally posted by huntindude View Post
                              Wouldn’t waste it on sausage. I’ve done burger meat just like white tail by adding in beef fat at a rate of about 15-20% The Bacon ends and pieces is good too, however in my opinion it is only good for burgers and not so much in other ground meat dishes

This ^ I've done all the ways mentioned and it just comes down to taste. When I had property near Leakey, Axis were more plentiful than whitetail. We're currently just getting tallow from the butcher to mix in fat and not adding any other meat to hog, wt, or exotics. Here's a tip I discovered accidently, if you have trouble with patties staying together mix in a teaspoon or two of Fritos bean dip. patties stick together like magic and if anything the taste may be improved.

Comment

Working...
                              X