No announcement yet.

Making Bacon/Pork belly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I am the cook here. Wife is excellent but I adventure and do more! This is a Bucket List learn to do. The curing etc. totally lost. Always wondered about feral hogs if too lean for bacon? That is my first question?
    I have the smoker, ability to slice, control temps in the smoker but lot to learn. Will check the link above as well. Back to wild hog? Usable or not for bacon?

Comment

That’s a nice Rec Tec there, bacon looked like it came out great

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

I am in Stephenville if you need a taste tester!

Comment

Good stuff. Reminds me I need to cure the belly in the freezer

Comment

Originally posted by toomuchsun View Post
            I am the cook here. Wife is excellent but I adventure and do more! This is a Bucket List learn to do. The curing etc. totally lost. Always wondered about feral hogs if too lean for bacon? That is my first question?
            I have the smoker, ability to slice, control temps in the smoker but lot to learn. Will check the link above as well. Back to wild hog? Usable or not for bacon?
            I have made bacon from a few wild pigs. They were between 150 and 200 pounds and where killed right about the time grain season was over so they were in good shape. Bacon turned out great. But most of the one that are running around in the woods are to lean for me, I have cured them though. As will as curing deer back straps, wild hog back straps. just about any meat can be cured and smoked. Most wild hogs though are to lean to get the actual Pork Belly, you will end up with a belly about a half inch thick, but the as I mentioned you can cure the straps and hams.

Comment

Are y’all using the same cure on buckboard as you do on pork belly bacon? I have made a lot of pork belly and jowl bacon but never made buckboard bacon.

Comment

Originally posted by Ilik2hunt View Post
                Are y’all using the same cure on buckboard as you do on pork belly bacon? I have made a lot of pork belly and jowl bacon but never made buckboard bacon.
                I used the same exact cure. I ate some 2 days ago and it was really good. It tasted like a bacon /ham cross. I had to put some bacon grease in the skillet to fry it in though , because it was so lean.

Comment

Looks great. I have been wanting to try this myself. Thanks for all the info.

Comment

Here is what mine looked like after I fried it up.

Comment

Originally posted by BrandonH View Post
                      Looks great. If you make anymore look into an inexpensive or used meat slicer. I found a small used one for $10 locally...it's old but gets the job done. Not only did it make the job 10x easier, uniform slices make for more consistent cooking.

Sent from my SM-G973U using Tapatalk
                      I can't seem to find a slicer that will cut the bacon in the long strips we are use to. I have tried two different ones, an LEM, and the Academy store brand with the same results, I can only slice them on the short side. I have just been using my boning knife.

Comment

Originally posted by dpg481 View Post
                        I can't seem to find a slicer that will cut the bacon in the long strips we are use to. I have tried two different ones, an LEM, and the Academy store brand with the same results, I can only slice them on the short side. I have just been using my boning knife.
                        I have the same problem. I just cut it in half before slicing.

Comment

I actually took the bone out of the pork butt and sliced the butt down the center(top half and bottom half) and smoked the top half for bacon. It is leaner than the bottom and it makes it easier to cure and slice into bacon.

Comment

Got mine in the cure tonight. I’m doing a whole slab of pork belly, 12 pounds. It’s going to be a long three days of waiting.
                            Last edited by Geezy Rider; 07-14-2020, 07:03 PM.

Comment

My pork belly is still in the cure. I’ll be smoking it tomorrow but in the meantime I saved the skin and made Cracklins today. WOW! These are fantastic. I’ll never feed the skin to my dogs ever again.
                              Dust them with a combination of Raging Blaze and Serendipity.
                              Mighty good eats.

Comment

Originally posted by Geezy Rider View Post
                                My pork belly is still in the cure. I’ll be smoking it tomorrow but in the meantime I saved the skin and made Cracklins today. WOW! These are fantastic. I’ll never feed the skin to my dogs ever again.
                                Dust them with a combination of Raging Blaze and Serendipity.
                                Mighty good eats.
                                Mine had no skin. That look really good.

Comment

Working...
                                X