Lapping Scope Rings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by meltingfeather View Post
    Haven’t tried to measure it... a few thou would be my guess— up to 10-15 maybe.
    Why did you put material in quotes?
    It was shorter then typing aluminum/parent metal/coating. Im just trying to learn!
    Last edited by oneeye; 01-14-2019, 09:20 AM.

Comment

if shooting rings, the pros choose Seekins. i can guarantee you every single one of the pros also laps the rings.

I’m currently publishing a series of posts that highlights the gear the top ranked shooters in both the Precision Rifle Series (PRS) and the National Rifle League (NRL) are running in long range rifle matches. (Learn about the PRS & NRL.) This group of over 150 competitors represent the best precision rifle shooters in the ...

Comment

Originally posted by sectxag06 View Post
        if shooting rings, the pros choose Seekins. i can guarantee you every single one of the pros also laps the rings.

https://precisionrifleblog.com/2018/...t-scope-mount/
        Most are moving to Spuhr over Seekins or Nightforce. I have seen a lot of IOR out there as well.

I have not talked to 100% of them but I bet that is not true!

Comment

I run Nightforce rings, they say do not lap them.

As Trophy 8 eluded to, Bed your quality base and your rings will be fine.

Comment

i bought a burris set for my long range gun that had inserts to compensate for any misalignment.. ive had zero problems with them

Looks like you got the most out of em...what ive done before was leave the bases slightly loose and set the scope in... give it some wiggling and this helps properly align the bases before tightening them down... then give a final lapping and its very minimal to get perfect

Comment

Apparently, I only thought I was OCD!

Comment

Originally posted by -HIC- View Post
                Most are moving to Spuhr over Seekins or Nightforce. I have seen a lot of IOR out there as well.

I have not talked to 100% of them but I bet that is not true!
                correct, but as the data shows if not using a single piece mount, they are overwhelmingly choosing Seekins. that was my point.

also not saying other rings are better or worse.
                Last edited by sectxag06; 01-14-2019, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by trophy8 View Post
                  Shouldn’t have to lap rings of that quality. I’d send them back before I lapped them.

^^^This and don't lap Talley's either.

Comment

Actually, those rings don't look bad. No need to lap them 100%. My lapping kit only recommended lapping to about 75%.

Comment

I use Nightforce Ultralite rings on most of my stuff. Here is what they have to say on the topic.

'Note: Do NOT lap the Nightforce Unimount, Direct Mount or
                      Ultralite Rings. Other ring/base combinations may or may
                      not require lapping. '

Comment

Yeah, I'd definitely check the base and bed if necessary before putting rings on. I had a savage with a base gap between 1/32" and 1/16" one time.

Comment

By that logic, if everything is high quality why should you have to bed?
                          I bought this rifle from him with the Seekins rail on it and it wasn’t bedded. Doh!

Comment

By that logic, if everything is high quality why should you have to bed?
                            I bought this rifle from him with the Seekins rail on it and it wasn’t bedded. Doh!
                            I didn’t lap it. It shot just fine without doing so.

Again, you say you’d rather fix the issue. The rings aren’t the issue. I’m obviously not trying to tell someone to do anything. It’s not my stuff. I’m simply getting at, you buy high quality tings for that reason. Quality. To prevent having to do this.

Here’s an idea. Get another pair. Don’t lap them. Do your load work. Do everything the same. Can you prove what difference it makes? I am genuinely interested if it makes an improvement. In fact. I believe I have a set of 30mm low seekins rings you can borrow for the experiment if you’d like.

I will add, I don’t consider many, if any factory rifles to be high quality. Not with exact tolerances. That rifle is an entry level LR/PRS type gun. Is it a nice rifle? Yes. Do they shoot well? Yes. Will they rival a custom action? No. My entire original post was about not having to lap quality rings. You say you like to take any error out of the equation. So instead of fixing the flaw causing any deflection you lapped the rings. That’s all. Difference of opinion. No big deal. Enjoy the gun. Let us know how it shoots when you’re done.
                            Last edited by trophy8; 01-14-2019, 11:57 PM.

Comment

Haven’t tried to measure it... a few thou would be my guess— up to 10-15 maybe.
                              Why did you put material in quotes?
                              I would really surprise me if you took 0.010" off those rings. I think it would be less than or right at 0.001", if you just moved some coating. I would think the coating isn't that thick. But I have been wrong before.

I have never lapped any rings, but I use a shaft piece I have to look for any misalignment. Especially with the ones that have windage adjustments.
                              Last edited by double bogey; 01-15-2019, 11:25 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by double bogey View Post
                                I would really surprise me if you took 0.010" off those rings. I think it would be less than or right at 0.001", if you just moved some coating. I would think the coating isn't that thick. But I have been wrong before.

I have never lapped any rings, but I use a shaft piece I have to look for any misalignment. Especially with the ones that have windage adjustments.
                                The Type III anodizing that Seekins uses is up to 0.004" thick.

Comment

Working...
                                X