Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best feeder enclosure...?

Good morning TBH
    On my hunting land we have cows and they have never been a problem until this new group that was rotated onto the property. The previous cows have never really bothered the feeders so I have never had to put up feeder enclosures/ feeder fences but now these cows are eating every corn kernel and laying under the feeders for hours. My question is what kind of fence should I use? I want the pigs to still be able to get in and the deer just not the cows. I was thinking maybe a two strand barbed wire fence but I have herd cows can push those over pretty easy BC it’s hard to get the strands tight without good anchors...? Any advice would be appreciated and pictures lots of pictures of what you have done that was successful

Run t-posts and do a 1-strand barbed wire fence pulled tight with a t-post puller / fencing tool. Worked for me around my feeders when I wasn't worried about pigs but now that I'm hunting a new place that's covered up, I use full hog panels but would prefer to use the 1-strand barbed wire.

Comment

Following...Same dang problem...

Comment

Make it big. Keeping all the corn thrown inside the pen will keep the cows from testing the fence.

Comment

I would use panels and keep the **** hogs out too. But I guess if you really want them then build at least a 3-4 strand fence. You are going to need some corner braces or trees to get it tight enough to keep the cows out though.

Comment

Had same issue on my place last year. Built a sturdy pin out of 4ft tall cattle panel. But on the side my stand is, where two panels connected, I didn’t tie down one just at the bottom. I connected the top, and at the bottom I put a 2ft Tpost piece proping it open about 1ft in half wide for pigs to get in. They’d get in and like a worm they’d be in line coming out. Funniest thing when you shoot st them. It was like a worm coming out. Haha

Comment

Minimum 12 hog panels and raise them about 12" off the ground. Pigs can go under as can fawns and deer can jump over. 1 T post at each end and one in the middle and in a round shape.

Comment

3 strand barbed wire fence will work just fine.

Comment

Originally posted by darralld View Post
                  3 strand barbed wire fence will work just fine.
                  This.
                  With 12 gauge wire. Wooden posts or pipe for corners. T-Posts in between. Make it big to keep cows far away from feed. You want all corn to stay inside the fence. Wire doesnt have to be real tight, if pen is big enough. We put bottom strand 18" off the ground so deer can slide under instead of jump. Make top wire high enough where cows wont attempt to jump it or lean on it too much.

Comment

I only build pens out of cattle panels anymore and cut where needed, but if you're gonna make 'em out of barbed wire do it this way or you'll be REdoing them constantly.

Originally posted by BolilloLoco View Post
                    This.
                    With 12 gauge wire. Wooden posts or pipe for corners. T-Posts in between. Make it big to keep cows far away from feed. You want all corn to stay inside the fence. Wire doesnt have to be real tight, if pen is big enough. We put bottom strand 18" off the ground so deer can slide under instead of jump. Make top wire high enough where cows wont attempt to jump it or lean on it too much.

Comment

Originally posted by Mudslinger View Post
                      Minimum 12 hog panels and raise them about 12" off the ground. Pigs can go under as can fawns and deer can jump over. 1 T post at each end and one in the middle and in a round shape.
                      We have 15 panel round pens. When deer season is over we raise one panel just enough to let the pigs in - gotta have those off season targets! In September we drop the panel back down to keep them out through deer season.

Comment

I’ve always built mine in a circular pattern as cows can’t judge the depth perception very well and the curve throws them off. 12-15 panels usually throws enough corn outside to keep the pigs interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Forget pen and change spinner plates

[ame="https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wCLN8-GMAoY"]Eliminator spinner plate on homemade deer feeder - YouTube[/ame]

Comment

Use hog panels or cattle panels cut in half. Leave a 4 foot section with three strands of barb wire for the hogs to get in in your shooting lane and t,he 4 foot section will be easy to close up when you figure out those stinking corn eating nasty hogs will stink up the place and wallow around your feeder and the deer will not come as much as if the hogs are totally kept out of your feed pens. I hate hogs

Comment

Working...
                            X