Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does this primer strike mean to you?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Jon B View Post
    Pressure usually causes a distinctivly flat primer looks as if it was pushed against the bolt face and firing pin.
    Originally posted by Jon B View Post
    Google: cratered primer from overpressure.
    Thanks.

Comment

Originally posted by RJH1 View Post
      I think the shoulder was set back too far. Or the primer pocket was reamed too deep
      The shoulder set back too far is possible. I need to buy one of those thingies for headspace measurement. My primer pocket reamer is limited depth, so I'm doubtful on that one.

Comment

Originally posted by MadHatter View Post
        Dry fire another casing a few times, and compare it.
        I'll have to do that.

Comment

Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
          I'll have to do that.
          Please post back with your findings. I'm curious now.

Comment

I've never seen that from a hot load. Flattened primers with the bolt face etched into them is, but overall primers are down somewhat on the list of pressure signs. Hard to believe that case was over pressure without piercing the primer.

Comment

Doesn't look over pressure to me. Best guess, bad primer or possibly snapped on it several times.

Comment

did they say it even fired? maybe short stroked the bolt never ejected it rechambered and tried to fire it again

Comment

Originally posted by xman59 View Post
                  did they say it even fired? maybe short stroked the bolt never ejected it rechambered and tried to fire it again
                  It's a fired case.
                  I'll test a fired case to see what a double strike looks like, maybe Sunday. Lots going on right now. Mostly basketball.

Comment

Were all the cases fired the same number of times?

I wouldn’t be concerned about that primer one bit, unless the bolt was sticky or the shot was waaaaaaaay off course.

If groups and rifle function don’t change, why does it matter??

Comment

Decap the case very carefully and catch the primer, I bet the anvil was upside down. I have seen a few upside down anvils over the years. My guess is it was upside down and let the firing pin go in deeper.

Comment

Originally posted by TacticalCowboy View Post
                        Were all the cases fired the same number of times?

I wouldn’t be concerned about that primer one bit, unless the bolt was sticky or the shot was waaaaaaaay off course.

If groups and rifle function don’t change, why does it matter??
                        Originally posted by Brute Killer View Post
                        I hadn't seen it before. I was wondering if it was a pressure sign, but found it hard to believe that it was.
                        X

Comment

Originally posted by mrc View Post
                          Decap the case very carefully and catch the primer, I bet the anvil was upside down. I have seen a few upside down anvils over the years. My guess is it was upside down and let the firing pin go in deeper.
                          That's interesting. I'll check it. Hopefully the anvil will stay in.

Comment

Originally posted by Stick1 View Post
                            Looks to have been struck multiple times
                            I almost forgot to do this.
                            I dropped the pin on a fired case and the primer looks just like the one I posted above.
                            Solved. Case closed.

Comment

Nice!

Comment

Could it be a pistol primer loaded by mistake? I seem to recall they are softer than rifle primers.

Comment

Working...
                                X