Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Management vs Cull

Is there any difference? Go...

I have my own opinion and will hold off for now. I’m sure this has been addressed.

My lease boss is quick to correct members who say the word "cull" instead of management. I guess that means there's a difference

Comment

We cull specific traits. We do not have enough trophies to call anything 'management' imo. Cull to us could be a younger deer, management is typically mature and has not played out as hoped. Heck, most of our trophies would be considered management bucks on high end ranches!

Sent from my SM-J727T using Tapatalk

Comment

Read up, discusses this and more.

Comment

To me, any mature buck is a trophy. An immature buck, regardless of traits, is likely being killed before its prime. Which is fine if it’s legal and the hunter is happy.

It irks me a little when folks post a pic of their 130 class 5-year-old buck and call it a management buck. That’s a trophy where most of us hunt.

Comment

Obviously a widely opinionated subject. The way I see it is a cull is defined as a mature deer with inferior antler genetics. Any deer on our place that's 5 or older a 120 and under is a cull. Any deer 5 or older 120 to 139 is managment.

And a trophy is in the eye of the beholder as long as he's mature.

Comment

Semantics but some people get but hurt over calling a management buck a cull.

Comment

I don't know if there is a difference in "cull" or "management" but I know a lot of the ones I have seen posted on the GS under either title would be trophies in my eyes

Comment

Harvest v. Kill

Semantics

Comment

Not to me

Comment

Originally posted by Fishndude View Post
                      Harvest v. Kill

Semantics
                      What?????

Farming vs Hunting?

Bad example

Comment

To me there is not really a difference. Both management deer and culls are deer you want removed from the herd. I will say that some distinguish between the two as a management buck being a better scoring buck that is mature but doesn't and will never score enough to ever be classified as a trophy. On the lease that I manage, we don't even try to differentiate the two. In our lease rules it says that everyone gets 1 trophy, 1 management/cull, and x amount of does.

Comment

To me cull is a deer with inferior traits, for example this year dad killed a 4.5 year old nubbin buck. He didn't even have a pedicle just 2 knots of bone the size of shooter marbles, and his boys were the size of peas.

To me a management buck is one you kill to get off of the feed bill, he may be a mature 8 that is a trophy. I attempt to manage my population by taking certain deer to let the others have better access to feed.

Comment

Management - you know, that’s not a bad deer but I’m not sure he’ll produce the type of offspring we’re looking for

Cull - good Lord, somebody shoot that thing before it humps another doe!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Comment

Culls are deer that need to be removed due to inadequate antler development (but not for any mythical genetic reasons, just to remove deer for population reasons that will never amount to anything). The classic definition is anything at least 3.5 years old with 7 points or less.

Management deer are deer that had desirable-enough antlers and potential to not cull at younger ages and that you've given an opportunity to mature to see what they develop into. But, they didn't advance as much as other more desirable deer so it acceptable to remove them since they are mature and will never develop into the type of deer you're managing for. The classis definitions are anything that's at least 4.5 years old with 8 or 9 points, or, anything that's at least 5.5 that scores less than 140.

Comment

Working...
                              X