Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-03-2021, 08:05 AM   #1
Anteloper
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas
Default Home air filter recommendation

What would be the best home air filter without being too restrictive? I think I'm currently using the Filtrete 1000. Thanks
Anteloper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 09:59 AM   #2
SaltwaterSlick
Pope & Young

My HVAC guy recommend we buy those cheapie ones and change them more often... They are less restrictive but don't have as much filter surface area as a pleated filter. He hates pleated filters because even new, they are more restrictive... Yes they filter finer particles, but the cheapies filter just fine if you change them regularly... Trouble with the pleated filters is they are marketed to "last longer", so most folks who are prone to not change filters regularly buy them and put them in and forget about them for like forever and change filters even less... At my home, my deer camp and my office, we buy those bulk packs of the green fiber filters and change them every 30 days. This has been a good choice for us best I can tell, and it has saved us a ton of money.
SaltwaterSlick is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 10:00 AM   #3
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
My HVAC guy recommend we buy those cheapie ones and change them more often... They are less restrictive but don't have as much filter surface area as a pleated filter. He hates pleated filters because even new, they are more restrictive... Yes they filter finer particles, but the cheapies filter just fine if you change them regularly... Trouble with the pleated filters is they are marketed to "last longer", so most folks who are prone to not change filters regularly buy them and put them in and forget about them for like forever and change filters even less... At my home, my deer camp and my office, we buy those bulk packs of the green fiber filters and change them every 30 days. This has been a good choice for us best I can tell, and it has saved us a ton of money.
This. The cheapest ones and change monthly.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 10:29 AM   #4
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

We run merv 8 or 11 grade pleated filters, we have dogs, and the units tell us when the filter is dirty

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-03-2021 at 10:38 AM.
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 10:54 AM   #5
MacDaddy67
Pope & Young

you guys are using filters?
MacDaddy67 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 11:38 AM   #6
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
you guys are using filters?
My thought too! I would prefer you did not use them. Give me a call when it does not work and I will come fix it
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #7
Duckologist
Ten Point

https://www.airfilterhub.com/product...nt=33622822674
Duckologist is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 12:16 PM   #8
westtexducks
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I can.

Thanks for the reminder, my filter is actually due to be changed this week.

Last time I bought a 12 pack of merv 8 filters from filterbuy.com we use a 20x25x1 and they were $78 for 12 delivered to my door.
westtexducks is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 12:21 PM   #9
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

The problem with the cheapies is they let all kinds of dust and other contaminants through that gets on your a coil and in your duct work.

Your system as a whole will stay much cleaner using a higher efficiency filter.

If you are worried about restricted air flow, likely your AHU or duct work is undersized and/or not balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 12:34 PM   #10
Kelmat
Six Point

Hunt In: Shelby county

Those cheap filters only keep out pets and small children. They only start filtering when they get clogged. Use pleated filters and change them monthly.
Kelmat is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 12:39 PM   #11
Anteloper
Six Point

Hunt In: Texas

Thanks for the information. I ended up getting a years worth of the filtrete 1500 for around $15 apiece at Lowes. Im going to change them every 3 months. That 5" to 1" filter is nice. Ive never seen that. My old house had a 4-5" single filter in the attic which was only suppose to be replaced once a year. I ordered a Coway Mighty air purifier yesterday off amazon just to see what it would do.
Anteloper is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 01:27 PM   #12
Goldeneagle
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Where ever I get a chance.

Quote:
Originally Posted by elliscountyhog View Post
My thought too! I would prefer you did not use them. Give me a call when it does not work and I will come fix it
Looking forward to seeing your guy next Tuesday.
Goldeneagle is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 02:13 PM   #13
cricman
Ten Point

Hunt In: West of Weatherford

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anteloper View Post
Thanks for the information. I ended up getting a years worth of the filtrete 1500 for around $15 apiece at Lowes. Im going to change them every 3 months. That 5" to 1" filter is nice. Ive never seen that. My old house had a 4-5" single filter in the attic which was only suppose to be replaced once a year. I ordered a Coway Mighty air purifier yesterday off amazon just to see what it would do.
You'll be surprised how much fine dust, pollen, and other suspended particles it will trap. We use a combination of BlueAir and Honeywell HEPA filters in several rooms in the house and it made a big difference.

cricman
cricman is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 02:29 PM   #14
elliscountyhog
Pope & Young

Hunt In: WG Outdoors on Facebook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goldeneagle View Post
Looking forward to seeing your guy next Tuesday.
Keep me posted on how it goes so I know they are acting right with my hunting buddies!
elliscountyhog is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 02:47 PM   #15
bakin7005
Ten Point

Hunt In: Oklahoma (there's no deer there)

Been running the cheapest filters money can buy all my adult life. Change ever 30-45 days. Anything more and I'm throwing money away. Works great for us.
bakin7005 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 05:16 PM   #16
Mike D
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Haskell County, TX

Quote:
Originally Posted by bakin7005 View Post
Been running the cheapest filters money can buy all my adult life. Change ever 30-45 days. Anything more and I'm throwing money away. Works great for us.

I run 4.5 deep pleated filters and change once per 6 months and truthfully as clean as they are could probably go a year.

In all fairness my house is less than 2 years old and totally foam encapsulated. The minimal amount of dust that gets in is amazing. My wife only has to dust twice a YEAR and we are almost 2 years with ceiling fans running 24/7 and Im just now about to have to clean them for the first time.

Even if my house wasnt foam encapsulated it would be worth the very little extra $$ not to have to climb in the attic once a month. In my previous house I used 1 thick pleated and only had to change them every 90 days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Mike D is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 05:25 PM   #17
jlinville
Ten Point

Hunt In: Cherokee Co.

This after it goes thru cheap fiber filters.

Lennox Healthy Climate Y6608 PureAir Annual Maintenance Kit for PCO3-20-16
Name:  y6608.jpg
Views: 82
Size:  61.8 KB
jlinville is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top