Go Back   TexasBowhunter.com Community Discussion Forums > Topics > Around the Campfire

Old 03-02-2021, 03:40 PM   #1
Kenner97
Ten Point

Hunt In: Atascosa, Wilson, Karnes County
Default Water Well vs Extending Existing Water Line

We are in the process of purchasing some land and are working with the water company to extend their line. We haven't received a actual quote but probably going to be close to $20k.

How much does a well cost to drill with pressure tank and everything?

Land is caliche and black dirt. Should not have any big rock to deal with.
Kenner97 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 03:43 PM   #2
C.W.Ashby
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas, Colorado & Kansas

All depends on the depth and size of well. Also what County. Central Texas you can do it for under the 20k. You must have electrical to run the well also.
With the well, no monthly water bill.
C.W.Ashby is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 03:44 PM   #3
kingranch
Ten Point

20-25$ per foot deep
kingranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 03:45 PM   #4
Drycreek3189
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Cherokee, Rusk, Trinity Counties

Call a water well driller. They can tell you approximately what it will cost and what you’ll have.
Drycreek3189 is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 03:46 PM   #5
Muddy Bud
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Jim Hogg

380’ drilled with tank and electrical hook and 1 hp pump in South Texas ran me 15k.
Muddy Bud is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 03:49 PM   #6
Tiger
Ten Point

i dug mine my self with a 2 inch water pump 100ft of pipe a water kelly and some 3/4 air line stood in the back of my truck jetted it down 97 ft i went into about 8 ft of sand been running it for about 10 years with a pump from home depot about 400 bucks in the whole well pumps about 5 gallons a minute poor man makes things work out of necessity some times not sure where you are drilling but will help you if you want to drill it yourself
Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 03:51 PM   #7
warrington
Ten Point

Hunt In: Abilene
Default line

if you own the property go with the line. its an investment. I went the wter well route for years. If you have great water around there ok, but in west texas it gets dry. I would go with the water line.
warrington is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 04:06 PM   #8
Kenner97
Ten Point

Yes we will own the land. I believe the water table is good and stable. The people we are buying from have a well and they have said they do not have any problems.
Old 03-02-2021, 04:18 PM   #9
frios
Six Point

I paid $15k for a 450 deep well, with pressure tank, in Medina County (which is all rock!)
water is from edwards aquifer
frios is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 05:14 PM   #10
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Sisterdale and el dorado , Jeff Davis, refugio/sinton , San perlita

Our ranch in hondo , a well was $45 per foot, or we could tape into a existing water line
My dad chose tapping, uncle and I ran the ditch witch and line , water district stubbed in a valve and we plumbed the rest
It’s really your choice, IMO tapping was more reliable and easy to navigate

Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-02-2021 at 05:19 PM.
S-3 Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 05:18 PM   #11
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point

Hunt In: Austin, Boerne, Wyoming, South America

We’re fixing to a second well to our place in Lee County, even though we’re on city water. Water rights issues come up each legislative session and, although the legislature has failed to resolve them as of yet, i believe the day will come when a property owner is no longer able to tap into below-ground water without government permission and oversight.

Last we checked, it was going to cost us approximately $25K for a 600’ well. We get water at 300’, but it contains a lot of iron and other sediments—okay for livestock but not human consumption.

Suck it up and do it now while you can.
ThisLadyHunts is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 05:31 PM   #12
bobc
Ten Point

Hunt In: Bell County, New Mexico

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThisLadyHunts View Post
We’re fixing to a second well to our place in Lee County, even though we’re on city water. Water rights issues come up each legislative session and, although the legislature has failed to resolve them as of yet, i believe the day will come when a property owner is no longer able to tap into below-ground water without government permission and oversight.

Last we checked, it was going to cost us approximately $25K for a 600’ well. We get water at 300’, but it contains a lot of iron and other sediments—okay for livestock but not human consumption.

Pretty hard to argue with this logic.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
bobc is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 05:37 PM   #13
Big Lee
Ten Point

Hunt In: Central Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
i dug mine my self with a 2 inch water pump 100ft of pipe a water kelly and some 3/4 air line stood in the back of my truck jetted it down 97 ft i went into about 8 ft of sand been running it for about 10 years with a pump from home depot about 400 bucks in the whole well pumps about 5 gallons a minute poor man makes things work out of necessity some times not sure where you are drilling but will help you if you want to drill it yourself
I tackle a lot of task. But I am not sure I would tackle this one. Hats Off to you Tiger!
Big Lee is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 05:58 PM   #14
El Paisano
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas-Arkansas

In my area, the water supply had a lot of boil orders and other problems, plus, it was going to cost many thousands to get it to the building. I got a well. Really good water. It was 280 feet, and the whole deal cost me 13k.
El Paisano is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 06:13 PM   #15
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Do you have to pay for the water after they bring you the line? I'd rather invest my money in something that's not controlled by someone else.
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 06:45 PM   #16
Speck
Four Point

Hunt In: Cat Spring, TX

You may not have a water bill with a well, but you will have an electric bill. And as for not having control, it’s a water system not nuclear launch codes. We extended a line 600 ft for our water source instead of drilling a well. I don’t have to worry about dealing with a well and the water system tests the water as required. I don’t think there is a wrong answer, it’s just priorities and how much you want to deal with something.
Speck is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 08:24 PM   #17
TKRanch
Ten Point

Quote:

This! Control your own destiny while you can. We have had wells since we got married 23 years ago, 3 houses, three different wells and have never had an issue other than replacing a pressure tank. Have had all the water we wanted, good tasting, Great pressure, no boiling, no issues. They will only get harder to get in the future!
TKRanch is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 08:28 PM   #18
eaglegolfj
Ten Point

I got a guy in woodville tx that quoted me 6500 for up to 300' for everything. Submersible pump tank and all. Not sure where you are at but I would call around.
eaglegolfj is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 08:34 PM   #19
Kenner97
Ten Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hoggslayer View Post
Do you have to pay for the water after they bring you the line? I'd rather invest my money in something that's not controlled by someone else.
Yes. Would still have a monthly water bill.
Old 03-02-2021, 08:53 PM   #20
Hoggslayer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: My Truck at night.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck View Post
You may not have a water bill with a well, but you will have an electric bill. And as for not having control, it’s a water system not nuclear launch codes. We extended a line 600 ft for our water source instead of drilling a well. I don’t have to worry about dealing with a well and the water system tests the water as required. I don’t think there is a wrong answer, it’s just priorities and how much you want to deal with something.
We're you out of water during the freeze? Have a boil water notice?

Sent from my SM-A716U using Tapatalk
Hoggslayer is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 09:00 PM   #21
Benno
Four Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tiger View Post
Can you give a little more detail on how this was done? What’s a water Kelley?
Benno is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-02-2021, 09:33 PM   #22
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speck View Post
When the state begins requiring licenses to drill a water well or, worse, begins to restrict the number of wells in an area (ostensibly to “protect” the water table below but, in reality, to have absolute control over water rights) it is the local farmers and ranchers who will suffer most...by limits placed on the amount of irrigation for crops and water for livestock they have access to.
Old 03-03-2021, 09:12 AM   #23
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
When the state begins requiring licenses to drill a water well or, worse, begins to restrict the number of wells in an area (ostensibly to “protect” the water table below but, in reality, to have absolute control over water rights) it is the local farmers and ranchers who will suffer most...by limits placed on the amount of irrigation for crops and water for livestock they have access to.
This is a real possibility, our ranch in Hesperus Colorado, all water is controlled by a water district, and some years people have to buy water from someone who has a unused allotments
It’s a huge mess finding water if it’s a dry winter and spring
I could see Texas heading in that direction, soon
Old 03-03-2021, 10:01 AM   #24
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
This is a real possibility, our ranch in Hesperus Colorado, all water is controlled by a water district, and some years people have to buy water from someone who has a unused allotments
It’s a huge mess finding water if it’s a dry winter and spring
I could see Texas heading in that direction, soon

Your story is a cautionary tale of which all landowners should take heed...because what you describe is coming to Texas.

Water rights issues have come up in each legislative session for years. To date, no significant legislation has been passed as nothing tenable or substantive has been proposed that the majority find acceptable.

They say that “one day, in Texas, water will be more valuable than oil.” If this is true, I want to do everything I can to see that no one stands between my outfit and our water!
Old 03-03-2021, 10:07 AM   #25
twobittxn
Ten Point

Hunt In: Brown Co. and public land

Quote:
When the state begins requiring licenses to drill a water well....
Texas does require a license to drill a water well. You may be able to drill one on your own property with your own rig, but if you're drilling on someone else's property, the driller is supposed to be licensed.
twobittxn is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 10:09 AM   #26
S-3 Ranch
Pope & Young

Quote:
Your story is a cautionary tale of which all landowners should take heed...because what you describe is coming to Texas.

Water rights issues have come up in each legislative session for years. To date, no significant legislation has been passed as nothing tenable or substantive has been proposed that the majority find acceptable.

They say that “one day, in Texas, water will be more valuable than oil.” If this is true, I want to do everything I can to see that no one stands between my outfit and our water!
Just think about T Boon Pickens investment in water rights
https://seekingalpha.com/article/244...ter-should-you
Old 03-03-2021, 10:16 AM   #27
rvd
Ten Point

Hunt In: Texas

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrington View Post
if you own the property go with the line. its an investment. I went the wter well route for years. If you have great water around there ok, but in west texas it gets dry. I would go with the water line.
My thinking as well. I have a property that I ended up doing both on. My logic was that at some point the option to do one or the other could go away, water is a finite resource.
rvd is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 10:22 AM   #28
dphillips62
Ten Point

Hunt In: Mission Valley, Victoria, and anywhere else I can sling an arrow

I'm running solar wells at my ranch they work great
dphillips62 is online now   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 11:15 AM   #29
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by twobittxn View Post
Texas does require a license to drill a water well. You may be able to drill one on your own property with your own rig, but if you're drilling on someone else's property, the driller is supposed to be licensed.

Good point and thank you for making the distinction.

In my case, we’re drilling on our own property and will be hire someone to do it.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:17 AM   #30
ThisLadyHunts
Eight Point

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilar View Post
Just think about T Boon Pickens investment in water rights
https://seekingalpha.com/article/244...ter-should-you

A VERY good point!

Unfortunately, I could not read the article without signing in, but I’ll try to search for it from another source. It looks very informative.
Old 03-03-2021, 11:37 AM   #31
GARY
Administrator

Hunt In: Lavaca, Alberta and where ever Aironeout takes me!

I have quotes in Lavaca county for our barndo and all under 11k

Gary's Outdoor Highlight of 2008:

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
GARY is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 01:03 PM   #32
Strummer
Pope & Young

Hunt In: At Gary's place ,and the backyard

Quote:
Originally Posted by GARY View Post
I have quotes in Lavaca county for our barndo and all under 11k

Who you get the bids from ?
Strummer is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top
Old 03-03-2021, 01:09 PM   #33
unclefish
Pope & Young

Hunt In: Central TX, Elk in NM

Even if you hire someone on your own property you have to get a permit from your regional groundwater conservation district.

We just had a 100ft well drilled and it cost about $8K in Central Texas.
unclefish is offline   Reply With Quote Back To The Top