Home air filter recommendation

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Home air filter recommendation

What would be the best home air filter without being too restrictive? I think I'm currently using the Filtrete 1000. Thanks

My HVAC guy recommend we buy those cheapie ones and change them more often... They are less restrictive but don't have as much filter surface area as a pleated filter. He hates pleated filters because even new, they are more restrictive... Yes they filter finer particles, but the cheapies filter just fine if you change them regularly... Trouble with the pleated filters is they are marketed to "last longer", so most folks who are prone to not change filters regularly buy them and put them in and forget about them for like forever and change filters even less... At my home, my deer camp and my office, we buy those bulk packs of the green fiber filters and change them every 30 days. This has been a good choice for us best I can tell, and it has saved us a ton of money.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post
      My HVAC guy recommend we buy those cheapie ones and change them more often... They are less restrictive but don't have as much filter surface area as a pleated filter. He hates pleated filters because even new, they are more restrictive... Yes they filter finer particles, but the cheapies filter just fine if you change them regularly... Trouble with the pleated filters is they are marketed to "last longer", so most folks who are prone to not change filters regularly buy them and put them in and forget about them for like forever and change filters even less... At my home, my deer camp and my office, we buy those bulk packs of the green fiber filters and change them every 30 days. This has been a good choice for us best I can tell, and it has saved us a ton of money.
      This. The cheapest ones and change monthly.

Comment

We run merv 8 or 11 grade pleated filters, we have dogs, and the units tell us when the filter is dirty
        Last edited by S-3 Ranch; 03-03-2021, 10:38 AM.

Comment

you guys are using filters?

Comment

Originally posted by MacDaddy67 View Post
            you guys are using filters?
            My thought too! I would prefer you did not use them. Give me a call when it does not work and I will come fix it

Comment

Practical Pleat Air Filters are 5" deep pleated air filters for 1" return grilles. The Practical Pleat filter has a gasket that seals and won't let air bypass. Each Practical Pleat can last 6 months.

Comment

Thanks for the reminder, my filter is actually due to be changed this week.

Last time I bought a 12 pack of merv 8 filters from filterbuy.com we use a 20x25x1 and they were $78 for 12 delivered to my door.

Comment

Originally posted by SaltwaterSlick View Post

The problem with the cheapies is they let all kinds of dust and other contaminants through that gets on your a coil and in your duct work.

Your system as a whole will stay much cleaner using a higher efficiency filter.

If you are worried about restricted air flow, likely your AHU or duct work is undersized and/or not balanced.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Comment

Those cheap filters only keep out pets and small children. They only start filtering when they get clogged. Use pleated filters and change them monthly.

Comment

Thanks for the information. I ended up getting a years worth of the filtrete 1500 for around $15 apiece at Lowes. Im going to change them every 3 months. That 5" to 1" filter is nice. Ive never seen that. My old house had a 4-5" single filter in the attic which was only suppose to be replaced once a year. I ordered a Coway Mighty air purifier yesterday off amazon just to see what it would do.

Comment

Originally posted by elliscountyhog View Post
                        My thought too! I would prefer you did not use them. Give me a call when it does not work and I will come fix it
                        Looking forward to seeing your guy next Tuesday.

Comment

Originally posted by Anteloper View Post
                          Thanks for the information. I ended up getting a years worth of the filtrete 1500 for around $15 apiece at Lowes. Im going to change them every 3 months. That 5" to 1" filter is nice. Ive never seen that. My old house had a 4-5" single filter in the attic which was only suppose to be replaced once a year. I ordered a Coway Mighty air purifier yesterday off amazon just to see what it would do.
                          You'll be surprised how much fine dust, pollen, and other suspended particles it will trap. We use a combination of BlueAir and Honeywell HEPA filters in several rooms in the house and it made a big difference.

cricman

Comment

Originally posted by Goldeneagle View Post
                            Looking forward to seeing your guy next Tuesday.
                            Keep me posted on how it goes so I know they are acting right with my hunting buddies!

Comment

Been running the cheapest filters money can buy all my adult life. Change ever 30-45 days. Anything more and I'm throwing money away. Works great for us.

Comment

Working...
                              X